Lovely '53!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely '53!

Had to run this photo of a very nice early '53...I think the wire caps and back up lights really add to the 'look'! QUESTION....Did ALL '53 Commanders have that angled 'Commander' script on the deck lid?
    Attached Files

Wow. Accessories plus. The back up lights and rear bumper guard are add-ons. The Commander script at the paint break I have seen before and I've seen the script on the trunk, too. Just don't know if both were appropriate for that year.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Yes, all production 1953 Commanders had the "Commander" nameplate on the trunk.
      The script on the pictured car does not appear to be placed correctly.
      Some pre-production pictures show the trunk lid without the "Commander" script.

How do you know that it is an "early '53"? What is the S/N? As I have posted many times here, ALL Vernon (LA) CA 1953s had the tri-star emblems.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
        Wow. Accessories plus. The back up lights and rear bumper guard are add-ons. The Commander script at the paint break I have seen before and I've seen the script on the trunk, too. Just don't know if both were appropriate for that year.
        The back up lights are Studebaker accessory items.
        The rear bumper guard, with the license plate lights, is standard equipment.
        At the paint break is "Studebaker", not "Commander". All two-tone 1953 C/K models had this and ALL Vernon (LA) CA 1953 C/K models had it.
        See my post (#3) about the "Commander" script on the trunk.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Yes, all production 1953 Commanders had the "Commander" nameplate on the trunk.
          The script on the pictured car does not appear to be placed correctly.
          Some pre-production pictures show the trunk lid without the "Commander" script.

How do you know that it is an "early '53"? What is the S/N? As I have posted many times here, ALL Vernon (LA) CA 1953s had the tri-star emblems.
          Well, that's a good point Gary. Seeing the 'tri-star', I figured this was an early production '53 Commander. (Before Mercedes-Benz complained) But if it possibly IS a California built Stude, it could very well be a LATE production example! I do not know this car's serial number.

Comment

Also, the pictured car is missing its rear quarter panel "V8" emblem.
            I always left these off. Is this a car that I owned or worked on?
            Bob Bourke didn't want those emblems and new, replacement quarters came without holes for these emblems. To me, that was plenty of reason to leave them off.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Also, the pictured car is missing its rear quarter panel "V8" emblem.
              I always left these off. Is this a car that I owned or worked on?
              Could be Gary, It is a New England Stude!

Comment

Working...
              X