Nice Stude Showed Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Stude Showed Up

I had a chance to go to the Donut Derelicts car gathering in Pismo Beach this morning. I was walking around when I saw this car. It is for sale. I talked to the owner and this is his first Studebaker. He doesn't know much about the car as he traded a Chevelle for it. I ran the engine number (P91289) and it is a 1963 Lark/Hawk 289. It has a factory R4 dual quad manifold. No idea on the engine internals as the guy he got it from didn't share much with him. It is a nice custom with some nice touches and some I am not too fond of. It is a 1959 Silver Hawk with the fins removed, I wish they had left them on as that is what makes a Hawk a Hawk, and yes it does have orange seat belts and they padded over the machined dash panel. If you are interested he is looking to trade it for a 1920/30's Chevy or Ford sedan but will entertain cash offers. You can PM me if interested in finding out more and I hope to test drive it in the next couple of weeks. here are some photos I took:

He is local so I can get more pictures if you want them.

'Looks like a real sweetheart, Dan; thanks for the peek.

'Glad to see a Studebaker V8 right where it belongs! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,
      I agree 100%. I thought it might be Stude powered when I saw the badge on the trunk lid that stated "Studebaker Avanti Powered". When he told me it had dual quads I told him he had to open the hood for me. The rest is history as they say. I can't wait to drive it.
      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
        Bob,
        I agree 100%. I thought it might be Stude powered when I saw the badge on the trunk lid that stated "Studebaker Avanti Powered". When he told me it had dual quads I told him he had to open the hood for me. The rest is history as they say. I can't wait to drive it.
        Dan
        Drive it?

Why not BUY it? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

"Why not BUY it?" WAAAAAY too many chrome "stick ons." And, those flames are about as aversive to me as a Brand-X engine is to you.

Thanks, Dan, for the post & pix.

Comment

I've seen this one on Craigslist or eBay... somewhere.
            I'd lose the flames, and put on '57 Silver Hawk fins.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
              It is a 1959 Silver Hawk with the fins removed, I wish they had left them on as that is what makes a Hawk a Hawk,
              Some '56 Sky/Power/Flight Hawk drivers might disagree!
              About everything I see here looks great, especially under the hood.
              I agree that the flames should be extinguished, along with the dark tinted windows.
              Even with them it looks a whole lot better than any Chevelle!
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

Looks just about excellent.

Comment

Is that a 56 trunk lid?
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

I could drive that. The top radiator hose would have to go. Those wrinkly things remain me of the universal fit rubber ones. They work, but just don't fit in with a nice detail job.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Neil,
                      I would say yes.....along with the '56 tail light assemblies.

Dan Miller
                      Auburn, GA

Comment

Well...I like the car just the way it is now. However, a couple of fins with white inlay would really pop on this one!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It's kinda like my 57. I've got parts and pieces from 56- 63 on it. But I don't have an R4!(No envy here whatsoever!)
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                            ... it looks a whole lot better than any Chevelle!
                            Ain't that the truth!!!
                            sigpic
                            1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

I suppose the crucial factor is price. The flames seem pretty restrained to me, and I don't mind the de-finning. Most of what's "wrong" with this car could easily be put "right", if a guy could buy it right.
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X