A Bit More on Andy Granatelli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bit More on Andy Granatelli

Hi, Gang. I know we've already had a thread on Andy Granatelli's passing at the end of December. Just spotted this "Andy" story from the NY Times that has some interesting STP and Studebaker mentions. Perhaps others will enjoy it, too. The link:

Mr. Granatelli turned STP oil treatment into a national institution and shook up auto racing’s establishment with his innovations.

Regards to all, John in Wisconsin
    Last edited by Jolly-John; 01-18-2014, 06:24 PM.

Good link, John.

At the winter Hoosier Auto Show Literature Exchange today at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway, I joked with a few vendors about the price of everything associated with Andy Granatelli doubling in the last month.

One vendor said he was sorry to report that the demand had really gone up: He said he has been coming to this show for many years and, yesterday, had only the second thing ever stolen from his booth table, an Andy Granatelli Business Card, autographed by Andy, that had been laminated. Ugh. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

NEVER enough about Andy Granatelli.......Thank You for posting!

Comment

That's the first I've heard of Studebaker terminating his contract with STP in 1973. If that was true perhaps Andy was the fall guy for what Consumer Reports said a couple years prior. One things for sure, STP has been bought by more companies than Liz Taylor had husbands!
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My Dad had a garage pass one year during practice and had a little conversation with Jack Brabham. Jack was putting together a transmission and Dad observed him putting STP into it. Dad asked Jack if the STP was any good and Jack answered "It doesn't seem to hurt anything!"

I use it from time to time and could offer the same endorsement!
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

"It doesn't seem to hurt anything!" My father, an aircraft mechanic, used to use STP and say the same thing.
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

My father, just a regular guy swore by STP. A car(Rambler) bought new bought new by him in 1963 had oil changes and STP added religiously was torn down for a rebuild around 90,000 because of a plastic timing gear had disintegrated and the plastic debris plugged up the oil rings. The mechanic said the cylinders still had the honing marks on the cylinders. He also said the bearings were ok but replaced them anyway. This was at a time when GM engines routinely required at least a 30 thousandth overbore and oversize bearings in a rebuild.

Comment

Working...
              X