A Few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Questions

I picked up a new toy yesterday -a '64 4dr Daytona with an R1. I'm working on sorting a few things out and will probably be listing it on Ebay in the near future. This car is a true 43K survivor and deserves a good home (hopefully somewhere close to where a Pure Stock Racing competition is held!! ) Anways, I have a couple of questions:

1. The PO cut the actuating arm off of the original R1 fuel pump. I have a few standard Carter pumps lying around. Can anyone tell me if I can use a standard pumps arm on the R1 pump?

2. There is a black wire coming through the heater hose grommet in the firewall and into the engine compartment. Seems like a strange routing and I can't figure out if it is original and or what it is supposed to go to.

3. The car will be getting a completely new exhaust system and I can't remember what size exhaust is recommended for an R1 -is it 2.125"?

Thanks in advance for everyones help -Will

The R1 pump is larger and I assume the arm is different. the black wire might be ignition since the R1 series cars had a extra wire ran because of the external resistor. 2 inch is stock, but you can go larger.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The R1 pump is larger and I assume the arm is different. the black wire might be ignition since the R1 series cars had a extra wire ran because of the external resistor. 2 inch is stock, but you can go larger.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      63 Lark 2 door
      58 Packard HT
      56 Golden Hawk
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks John.

Does anyone happen to have a wiring schematic for the ignition on a Jet Thrust R1? I have a problem somewhere along the line as the car starts and runs fine if I jump straight from the positive side of the coil to the battery. Thanks again -Will

Comment

Thanks John.

Does anyone happen to have a wiring schematic for the ignition on a Jet Thrust R1? I have a problem somewhere along the line as the car starts and runs fine if I jump straight from the positive side of the coil to the battery. Thanks again -Will

Comment

Sounds like a bad resister to me!

Oh! also the High Volume Carter Pump you need is pricey, but available from Dave Thibault, NO the standard pump arm won't work, it is WAY different and so is the pump!

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

I have a problem somewhere along the line as the car starts and runs fine if I jump straight from the positive side of the coil to the battery. Thanks again -Will
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sounds like a bad resister to me!

Oh! also the High Volume Carter Pump you need is pricey, but available from Dave Thibault, NO the standard pump arm won't work, it is WAY different and so is the pump!

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

I have a problem somewhere along the line as the car starts and runs fine if I jump straight from the positive side of the coil to the battery. Thanks again -Will
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Okay, got the wiring sorted out. It turned out to be a broken resistor wire at the ignition switch. Thanks for the help

Comment

Okay, got the wiring sorted out. It turned out to be a broken resistor wire at the ignition switch. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                  X