PDA

View Full Version : March issue of Hemmings Classic Car has a four page article on Fred and Linda Fox

Studebaker Wheel
01-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Fred and Linda Fox are featured in the latest issue (March) of HCC with a four page article under the Personality Profile section. Well deserved honor for a couple who has done so much to preserve Studebaker history and promote the SDC thru their combined talents.

LarkTruck
01-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Got my issue yesterday, skimmed thru it, have not had a chance to read it yet. Once again HCC supports the marque.
Thank you HCC!
JS

larkregal62
01-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Jim, Bob Sheaffer got his HCC yesterday and told me there is a really great write-up on the Studebaker York Swap Meet there in the Events Section. That was due I guess to our advertising there, but it was at no cost to us in their Events Section. Gordon

Studebaker Wheel
01-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Another photo of the Fox article below.

Failed to mention that the same issue of HCC has an article written by the oft maligned (and justifiably so) SDC tech editor Bob Palma writing about, of all things, the six cylinder Fords! Showing off his versatility I guess?

LarkTruck
01-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Failed to mention that the same issue of HCC has an article written by the oft maligned (and justifiably so) SDC tech editor Bob Palma writing about, of all things, the six cylinder Fords! Showing off his versatility I guess?

It's ok BP, we all have a bad day now and then.:woot:
Gordon, I did see the Swap Meet plug, hope we don't get a mad rush of people wanting Avanti tickets.
JS

Bill Pressler
01-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Another photo of the Fox article below.

Not to mention an article by SDC forum member John Wipff!

I've only thumbed through it yet, but full of Studefolks this month!

Corvanti
01-16-2014, 06:48 PM
i rec'd my issue today. i suppose i need to reclaim it from my, ahem, "library shelf" and do some reading!:)

larkregal62
01-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Jim,That's Ok--I've got 1500 tickets printed and available for the 51 Land Cruiser-- I call those sending in for the sold out car and offer them an early start for 2015. About 40 takers so far. Gordon

BobPalma
01-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Hemmings Publications full-time staff writer Mark McCourt did a wonderful job writing Fred & Linda's Personality Profile.

For you folks who buy newsstand copies from time to time, you'll not want to miss this March 2014 issue. It should be on newsstands in a week or so. There is a bright red, black top, 1969 Firebird convertible on the cover..

That said, Hemmings Classic Car does do a lot on and about Studebakers. I would encourage you to subscribe; the subscriber's price is barely $1.50 per issue, :D even for the minimum one-year subscription, whereas single copies on the newsstand are up to $5.99! :eek:

And when you subscribe, they mail it to you so you don't have to go find one and use the attendant time and gasoline to do so. :!: BP

larkregal62
01-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Absolutely agree about HCC Probably the best buy on the automotive magazine market---next to Turning Wheels!! Good thing about HCC is we get to find out how really knowlegible BP is about all things automotive. Gordon

Corvanti
01-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Absolutely agree about HCC Probably the best buy on the automotive magazine market---next to Turning Wheels!!

Ditto! :!!:

i subscribed in 2012 after BP recommended it. just as TW, i read it "cover to cover". maybe if we send mails to Richard L. - BP can soon write his great articles monthly!

LarkTruck
01-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Jim,That's Ok--I've got 1500 tickets printed and available for the 51 Land Cruiser-- I call those sending in for the sold out car and offer them an early start for 2015. About 40 takers so far. Gordon

Sounds like a plan Gordon. And, I agree with all about HCC, great magazine.

Thanks Showbizkid, for fixing my post. Not sure what I did wrong :confused:
Jim

BobPalma
01-17-2014, 07:01 AM
'Here ya' go, boys and girls: Less than $1.60 per issue for one year, even less (under $1.40 per issue) for two years...mailed to your door!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/hccsubinfo_zpsa6b3b479.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/hccsubinfo_zpsa6b3b479.jpg.html)

Why drive all over and pay $5.99 each, often plus sales tax, for two or three issues per year? :o BP

BobPalma
01-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Ditto! :!!:

i subscribed in 2012 after BP recommended it. just as TW, i read it "cover to cover". maybe if we send mails to Richard L. - BP can soon write his great articles monthly!

Thanks, Kerry...but monthly might be a little much.

I could do bi-monthly (six columns per year instead of the present four), but I'd probably have to think about 12!

For the time being, AFAIK, the other two guys with whom I rotate (Walt Gosden and David Schultz) are pretty well set at four per year as well. :)

Again, thanks for your kind remarks. :) BP

Gunslinger
01-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Wassamatta, Bob...you're giving away your thoughts and knowledge for free here. Why wouldn't you want to get paid for it on a monthly basis? :lol:

BobPalma
01-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Wassamatta, Bob...you're giving away your thoughts and knowledge for free here. Why wouldn't you want to get paid for it on a monthly basis? :lol:

I know you're kidding, Bruce, but those Hemmings columns take more time than you might imagine...as does The Co-Operator.

If something erroneous goes to press with my name on it, it's there forever. Here on the forum, items can be modified or deleted entirely if an error is found out, even years later. Not so print media; it must be "right" the first time or it'll hang on your neck like a dumbbell as long as you're alive, undermining your legitimacy on anything else you write.

The current Hemmings Classic Car article on Ford Sixes is an example. That might seem simple enough on the surface, but I'll bet I've got 30 hours in it altogether, truth be known....including having it repeatedly "proofed" by two guys I trust and have known about 40 years; experts on 1930s-1950s Fords. They didn't find anything basically wrong with the original manuscript, but did recommend a couple tweaks I was happy to have. I owe both of them a lunch 'next time I see them.

'Something as simple as determining for sure the last model year Ford offered an in-line six: I'll bet I spent over an hour verifying that...and with conflicting reports, I finally used my factory Ford Shop Manuals to verify: I figure if the 240 six was last covered in the 1972 manual (and it is) and was not in the 1973 manual (and it isn't), that pretty well verifies that the 240 wasn't available in 1973.

It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it, but live in mortal fear of a legitimate technical error being printed below my name. :eek: As we all know, there is 'way too much "wrong" stuff out there! :cool: BP

Gunslinger
01-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Whoa...stop the presses! We have a member of the media here who actually cares about accuracy! Next thing you know journalists everywhere will start being objective and honest in their reporting...and their editors will actually print it!

Way to go, Bob! A rare trait, indeed.

fpstude
01-17-2014, 11:32 AM
I had to adjust my reading habits for the March issue. I normally read the 'I Was There' feature first (about former employees in auto manufacturing factories), unless it is a Palma month. But this month those articles had to wait so I could read about Fred and Linda.

j.byrd
01-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Bob P., I too always enjoy HMN magazines and TW and look forward to your articles in them. As a couple of different clubs newsletter writer off and on for several years, I can appreciate your fear/dread of having something "get out" wrong. BUT, we now have something very important and generally accepted by the public on our side: AGE ! Most of my pals/readers either don't remember, forget I got something wrong before they see me the next time, or even better - - - I can say it happened because of my age, and that seems to make it OK with them, ha ! Thanks and keep up the not just good, but GREAT work ! jb

Roscomacaw
01-17-2014, 12:22 PM
"It's a lot of fun and I really enjoy it, but live in mortal fear of a legitimate technical error being printed below my name. As we all know, there is 'way too much "wrong" stuff out there! BP"

Not ALL the HCC contributors are as conscientious as thee, BP.:ohmy:

southbend
01-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Fred and Linda Fox are featured in the latest issue (March) of HCC with a four page article under the Personality Profile section. Well deserved honor for a couple who has done so much to preserve Studebaker history and promote the SDC thru their combined talents.

Long overdue. Fred and Linda Fox have done more for the Studebaker hobby than almost anyone.

This is what's known as "goin' slumming."

JBOYLE
01-17-2014, 02:50 PM
I haven't received my march issue yet, but I've subscribed to HCC from the beginning, at the low rate they charge subscribers, it's a case of "why not?"

I'll look forward to Bob's article on for sixes...I have one (223 c.i.) in one of my cars and enjoy it.

BobPalma
01-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Regarding this thread's original topic: I have corresponded with Fred Fox about the article over the last couple days.

Fred supplied a good deal of interesting additional information about some of the photographs in that March 2014 Hemmings Classic Car Personality Profile on Fred and Linda. I asked him if it would be OK if I cut and paste that information to this topic so others might enjoy it.

He said, "sure," so here are quotes directly from Fred about some of the photos:

Hi, Bob;

By now, you probably have received the March 2014 Hemmings Classic Car. Linda and I feel Mark did a fine job. He was GREAT to work with. For you, I would like to add some background information on three of the photos that appeared in the story.

They are the following:

The one on the top of page 56 was taken on Christmas Day, 1924, in Lankershim (now North Hollywood), California. It was taken at the small farm owned by my paternal grandparents, Fred W. and Flora Fox. Shown left to right is a 1924 Model T coupe owned by my father, Walter W. Fox; a 1925 Nash coupe owned by my dadís sister, Annie, and her husband Elmer Frieburg; a 1925 Model T owned by my dadís brother, Charles; a 1914 Model T touring car owned by my dad (earlier in the year, my dad had purchased it from his brother Charlie, who in turn had purchased it from the original owner in 1920); a 1925 Maxwell touring car owned by my dadís sister, Mildred, and her husband Roy Lips; and a 1921 REO touring car owned and purchased new by my paternal grandparents, Fred W. and Flora Fox.

After 89 plus years since the photo was taken, we still have the 1914 T and the 1921 REO (we even have the original sales invoice for the REO). As attested to by the white registration cards in the windshields, all three of the 1925 models were brand new cars. Shown in the foreground is the bed of the horse-drawn Studebaker farm wagon mentioned in the article. We still have some of the wheels from the wagon.

Lower left of page 57: Shown is a 1901 Studebaker buggy purchased (from the second owner) by Linda and me in 1974.

Lower right of page 57: This is a photo of the 1910 EMF "30" that was purchased new by my great, great grandfather, George Kennedy (my motherís maternal grandfather), in 1910. The photo was taken in 1910 in Niles Ohio. My mother, Berenice, stands behind the windshield. George Kennedy is at the wheel, and in the back seat are Georgeís wife Annie (my great, great grandmother) and her sister Christina.

The EMF was purchased from a Studebaker dealer in Youngstown, Ohio. George Kennedy was the second owner of an automobile in Niles, Ohio, a town best remembered for being the birthplace of President William McKinley. We do not have the EMF (!), but we still have the camera with which the photo was taken, a wood-bodied Model D Kodak No. 2 Bulls-Eye.

My aunt Mildred and uncle Roy Lips, the owners of the 1925 Maxwell touring car in the Christmas 1924 photo, later became the owners of the 1927 Dictator (via trade-in of the Maxwell) mentioned in the article. Like many of that era, they made the switch from an open car (the Maxwell) to a closed car (the Dictator). My uncle Charlie was the one mentioned in the article that purchased the new 1941 Champion, a car he kept until his passing, and then was acquired by his daughter.

Our 1949 2R16 truck still sports its original paint, and it only has about 31,000 miles on the odometer. We had a way of converting the WWII Army bed to a flatbed, so it could be used in the summer for hauling pallets of peach boxes. In 1950, Earl Warren, then governor of California, gave a speech while standing on the bed of the truck. My dad built some wooden steps that Warren and others used to climb onto the truck. We still have the steps, which we refer to as the "Warren Steps!" We have used them many times since then.

Thanks for permission to post those wonderful back stories, Fred. :D BP

stude dude
01-21-2014, 08:37 PM
The Fox family has an impressive collection of very well preserved low mileage all original Studebakers. They have obviously been very well cared for and carefully stored over the generations!

Chris.

WinM1895
01-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Hemmings Publications full-time staff writer Mark McCourt did a wonderful job writing Fred & Linda's Personality Profile.

For you folks who buy newsstand copies from time to time, you'll not want to miss this March 2014 issue. It should be on newsstands in a week or so.

There is a bright red, black top, 1969 Firebird convertible on the cover.

March 2014 issue of Hemmings Classic Car is on the newsstands now, picked up a copy today.

It's also available from autobooks/aerobooks located in beautiful downtown Burbank.

Your Ford six article was 100% accurate.

BobPalma
01-22-2014, 06:00 AM
March 2014 issue of Hemmings Classic Car is on the newsstands now, picked up a copy today.

It's also available from autobooks/aerobooks located in beautiful downtown Burbank.

Your Ford six article was 100% accurate.

Thanks, Bill; 'always good to have pleasant feedback.

You and John Boyle (Post #22 and others) should swap pictures of your dogs for a couple days and see if anyone notices. ;) They are so similar it's always a fooler. Are they the same breed? :confused: BP

raprice
01-22-2014, 09:17 AM
It's a great article about a great couple.

I've been getting Hemmings Classic Car since its inception. In fact, I subcribed to its predecessor, Special Interest Autos before that. As someone indicated above, HCC does a great job spotlighting the independents and especially Studebaker.

Rog

JBOYLE
01-22-2014, 11:32 AM
BP
[/B]

Yes, they're basset hounds. A great breed, lots of personality and great with people and especially kids. Douglas just turned 12.

WinM1895
01-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Thanks, Bill; 'always good to have pleasant feedback.

You and John Boyle (Post #22 and others) should swap pictures of your dogs for a couple days and see if anyone notices. ;) They are so similar it's always a fooler. Are they the same breed? :confused: BP

Both are Basset Hounds, Boyle's has longer ears than 'Baig.'

'Course, I could change my avatar pic, since I have 3 additional Basset's. 'Otis' has ears as long as Boyle's.

Baig is 12, as is Otis. Ladykins is 10 and Socks is 9. Had to put Suzee-Q down several months ago, she was 14.

8E45E
01-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Not to mention an article by SDC forum member John Wipff!

I picked up my copy at the newsstand today! Yep, John's article here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?46971-The-night-I-stole-the-truck&highlight=stole+truck

Craig

WinM1895
01-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Something as simple as determining for sure the last model year Ford offered an in-line six: I'll bet I spent over an hour verifying that...and with conflicting reports, I finally used my factory Ford Shop Manuals to verify: I figure if the 240 six was last covered in the 1972 manual (and it is) and was not in the 1973 manual (and it isn't), that pretty well verifies that the 240 wasn't available in 1973.

I said your article was 100% accurate, but it only referred to passenger cars. I know this because I was a Ford partsman for over 30 years and have most FoMoCo parts catalogs from 1928 thru 2001. As a member of FTE (ford-trucks.com) since 11/2006, I've (NumberDummy) typed almost 51,000 posts, 80%+ are parts related.

240 info correct for Galaxie/LTD, but not for F100/600's, B/C/L/N/NT/T series trucks and Econolines. 240 cancelled at the end of the 1974 model run.

300 I-6 is the larger brother of the 240, the bore is the same, the stroke is different. 300 optional in 1965/74 trucks, became standard equipment in 1975. Last year it was installed was 1996.

There is no 240 listed in the 1965/72 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog for 1972. If in fact the 240 was available in 1972, it would have been a Domestic Special Order and the DSO code stamped on the Warranty Plate would consist of 6 numbers, not 2.

Most cars have a 2 digit DSO, refers to the specific Ford District Sales Office * the vehicle was ordered from. Last 4 digits is the Domestic Special Order number.

200 I-6 introduced in 1964, last year it was available was 1983, in Mustang/Capri and LTD which was a Fox bodied midsize car.

262 I-6 introduced in 1961, was available in 1961/64 B/C/F500/600 and 1963/64 F100/250. This engine uses a different block, head some internal parts than the 223 I-6 which it resembled.

FoMoCo parts catalogs are available on C/D's from hipoparts.com, but no one offers C/D's or printed copies of FoMoCo Master Cross Reference & O-S-I (Obsolete-Supercede-Interchange) Catalogs. When microfiche was introduced in 1967, most dealers tossed these catalogs into the circular file, so are very hard to find today.

* 2 number DSO example: 34 = Indianapolis IN Ford District Sales Office, where the original selling dealer ordered the vehicle from.

BobPalma
01-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Sure, Bill; the larger-version 240, at 300 cubic inches, was used through 1996 in pickups and other trucks. The article was indeed only about passsenger cars.

IIRC, wasn't the 300 six the last more-or-less regular production vehicle in the United States to use a carburetor, before it, too, went to EFI? :confused: BP

WinM1895
01-25-2014, 08:46 AM
1983/96 300's (4.9L) have EFI

You may get some 'naysayers' inre to the I-6's you left out of the article. I don't recall if the article says cars only.

I've been reading HCC since it debuted and SIA before. Guess I have to pay more attention to the columnists names.

BobPalma
01-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Oh, yes; the article clearly states we are talking about "full-size Ford cars."

There is only so much space in a given article. In this case, it would have been impossible to discuss every Ford-branded product powered by an in-line six in 4,000 characters, which is about 650 words. Besides, the point was being made about 1941-1972 full-size Fords with sixes being oddballs. Everybody expects a 1960-1962 Falcon to have a six in it; there's nothing unusual about that.

You have to be careful writing these things; people love to "prove" how smart they are by taking you apart for an oversight. (Not that they shouldn't cite legitimate errors of fact, but the motivation to do so can be a bit much.) ;) BP

WinM1895
01-25-2014, 09:53 AM
I certainly did not plan to take you apart, so please do not take my comments this way.

BobPalma
01-25-2014, 11:35 AM
I certainly did not plan to take you apart, so please do not take my comments this way.

'Not at all, Bill; no problem and no offense taken.

Your career in Ford Parts reminds me of a moment visiting my dear Uncle Milton when he was Bob Gross Ford' Service Manager in Paris IL. I happened to stop in one day in the fall of 1960, when I would have been 14 years old.

He was in the Parts Department fiddling with some papers. I asked him what he was doing and he said the Falcon six was getting a longer-stroke 170 cubic inch engine option for 1961 and he was putting the appropriate new pages in the parts book.

I have no idea why I remember that exchange because there was nothing earth-shaking about it, but I do remember it. (At age 14, maybe I thought the Falcon Six would become a real powerhouse with a longer stroke!) :) BP

8E45E
01-25-2014, 05:16 PM
I have no idea why I remember that exchange because there was nothing earth-shaking about it, but I do remember it. (At age 14, maybe I thought the Falcon Six would become a real powerhouse with a longer stroke!)

Probably because it was within 1 cubic inch of Studebaker's six cylinder.

Craig

WinM1895
01-25-2014, 07:27 PM
'Not at all, Bill; no problem and no offense taken.

Your career in Ford Parts reminds me of a moment visiting my dear Uncle Milton when he was Bob Gross Ford' Service Manager in Paris IL. I happened to stop in one day in the fall of 1960, when I would have been 14 years old.

He was in the Parts Department fiddling with some papers. I asked him what he was doing and he said the Falcon six was getting a longer-stroke 170 cubic inch engine option for 1961 and he was putting the appropriate new pages in the parts book.
Loose leaf paper parts catalogs: When changes were made, FoMoCo only sent out the new pages. The catalog had to be removed from the binder, then the new pages had to be inserted in the apropos places. It was a royal PITA!

What surprises me is, the service manager was doing it. This was usually the job of the 'lowest' parts flunky.

Service personnel usually don't know beans about parts catalogs.

Ralph Williams Ford, summer 1968: New service writer hired, he came from a VW dealer, knew less about Ford's than a mule knows about tap dancing.

He comes to the back counter one day, asks about a part, saying what does the catalog say? I opened the catalog, rested my ear on the page and said...it ain't saying.

He writes up a R/O for a brake job on a 1940 Ford. I looked at the R/O when it came thru the pneumatic tube. What the hell? I called him saying, we don't have parts for this thing.

A few minutes later, a porter passes by the parts dept on the way to the service lot...driving a 1940 PONTIAC!

He lasted another week, then went bye bye.

Stu Chapman
01-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Just finished reading this article. Fred and Linda celebrate 50 years with SDC this year. Wow! We're proud to have you as great members all this time!

Stu Chapman

2R5
01-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Picked up this issue yesterday , great story , its just amazing one family would keep all those cars back that far.....most likely a record of some sorts.
Also liked your write up about Ford sixes, Bob !

BobPalma
01-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Picked up this issue yesterday , great story , its just amazing one family would keep all those cars back that far.....most likely a record of some sorts.
Also liked your write up about Ford sixes, Bob !

Thanks, Bob; 'glad you liked it. It was fun to do. :cool: BP