Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1928 Studebaker President 8 State Limousine (FA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 Studebaker President 8 State Limousine (FA)

Gentlemen.

I come here with a thirst for knowledge, a mission to find an answer, but only one question!

Is this automobile the last in existence?

She belongs to a very sweet old gentleman (doesn't use the internet) who I have become aquainted with since 2011. She came to the UK in 2008 having spent all her previous life in Canada (built in Walkerville)

While using the internet to sourse a gearbox in 2012 I came into contact with Rex Milternberger (Studerex) he stated he did not know of another in existence, sinse then I have had a desire and now a mission to find that answer.

I cannot find that answer here in England, I believe it may be found in the word of mouth and breadth of knowledge within clubs like this.

If anyone reads this and is able to help with information or suggest a direction to follow that would be fantastic.

PS should anyone visit merry old England and like to see her, I will give you a person tour

Regards

Russ
    Attached Files

Well if Rex told you that I'd almost bet he would be correct.
    I'm sure Richard Quinn will chime in here and have a comment as well ....both these guys would know.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Nice car. Lots of the big FA Presidents out there. I know of only one other limousine (with divider window) in Virginia back in the early 90s. Not a big deal to have the only one or one of two when it comes to Studebakers, especially in the early pre-WWII years. There are many models and body styles that have no survivors.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Dick got me on that one. There was another limousine owned by Tucker Tutwiller in the south. It has changed hands a couple of times and the location now is unknown. Maybe Dick knows.

Comment

I am not 100% sure re the Tutweiler car. I was thinking it was a 1929 model FE? Have pictures of it somewhere. He had it at the Gettysburg meet in 1980.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
            Dick got me on that one. There was another limousine owned by Tucker Tutwiller in the south. It has changed hands a couple of times and the location now is unknown. Maybe Dick knows.
            Hi Rex, thought you might like to know that gearbox worked out fine, I fitted it myself, runs smooth and silent.

Comment

Gentlemen.

I appreciate the interest and comments so far. Thanks.

Comment

Any chance that car got shipped to the UK from South Africa or Zimbabwe any time in the last 20-30 years? The car serial number and engine serial number would be interesting to see.

I might be in Tiverton, Devon in April, would like to see it. Send a PM with info on location.
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

1928 Studebaker President 8 State Limousine (FA)

Gentlemen,
                  this is to inform that I possess the 1928 Studebaker President 8 State Limousine (FA) , body style code FAM, and with the glass partition separating the passenger and the driver compartments. The car is awaiting restoration as some of the original interior appointments such as the autophone (intercom ) have gone missing. If anyone knows where it can be found kindly do let me know and I shall remain grateful for that. I have included some pictures of the car. This limousine was bought by my grandfather in the year 1928 when it was sent to India as a display model. Since then it has remained in our family.
                  Regards, Pallab Roy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1687864Click image for larger version

Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1687865Click image for larger version

Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1687866
                  Last edited by Pallab; 02-22-2018, 02:45 AM. Reason: the latest restoration photos can be seen at the fb page fatherandsonrestirations in the album 1928 Studebaker President 8

Comment

Welcome Pallab, Wow !
                    Steve
                    Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

Wow! Basically a one owner 1928 Studebaker!
                      Love that hood ornament, or should I say bonnet mascot!
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The Keystone Region Chapter visited the Tutwillers in Virginia on our Spring '84 tour. I'm sure I have a picture of the limo but, just not handy.Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0174.jpg
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1687882The limo was sitting outside the garage.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hi Gary

I have found a car which answers your description I have posted some info on the thread regarding it, it is ex zimbabwe now in south Africa but will be making a sea crossing to uk in a few months, I used to live over in SA was born in Rhodesia/ Zimbabwe, the car is a right hand drive which I believe makes it special besides it's history.

Comment

Hi Russ

Do you still have access to this car, I live in UK and have just bought a president from south Africa, it needs to be finished off and as I am having it done in south Africa I need some interior pics of the car, I live up in lincolnshire, I need some detail pictures if possible mine may be the one that Gary has been searching for. I am happy to pay for info.

My car is a right hand drive.

Regards

Alan

Comment

Russ, interesting seeing this old Studebaker, it was actually brought to the UK a while before 2008, as it was imported by a friend of my Grandads, a guy called Oliver Jefferies.
                              As a teenager I went to see the car with my Grandad and Uncle whilst Oliver was restoring it, he was a perfectionist and everything had to be 101%. The original rear lights were cracked and so he had new bodies brass spun, so if you check they probably don't have any makers name in the body. When we visited him he had just that day received the doors back from the sandblasters, my Uncle pointed out that the doors were warped very badly, which Oliver hadn't noticed and so he had them all professionally sorted.
                              Oliver suffered from dementia (if I remember correctly) and when he passed away his widow and daughter sold the car at Richard Edmonds auctions, I went to the auction and was amazed by 1, how good the car was for saying it hadn't been used for a number of years, and 2, expect for how the paint was coming off in large pieces.
                              I personally have 4 Studebakers from the 1920's here in Bristol. 2 of them are on wedding work, a 1928 dictator sedan and a 1929/30 Commander sedan, the other 2 I have are a 1926 standard 6 roadster and a 1926 Big 6 roadster.

I haven't seen the car since it was sold but have seen pics on the internet and it is great to see it working earning its keep on wedding work.

Wayne Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X