On January 16, 1942....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On January 16, 1942....

My father's older sister Louise [nee Palma] Krem, gave birth to what would be her and her husband George Krem's only child, my cousin George D. Krem. Cousin George would have to wait over 4 years for his equally-Studebaker-crazy cousin Bob to join him...but being the precocious fellow he is, I'm sure he busied himself following Studebaker war production in the interim.

George Dale came home from the South Bend hospital in his father's virtually-new 1941 Studebaker Champion 3-passenger coupe. George Dale's father would remain "stateside" during the world war then underway, barred from military service by persistent high blood pressure. He would work on war materials at Bendix in South Bend "for the duration."

Fast-forward 22 years.

In early August 1964, young George Dale would take delivery of the only brand-new Studebaker he would ever buy, his Bermuda Brown 1964 Challenger 2-door. He took delivery of it at Snider Auto Service in Indianapolis, receiving the keys from salesman Jerry Palma, his mother's and my father's youngest brother:

It would become arguably the most famous Studebaker Challenger in the world, now known to everyone in Studebaker-land as The Plain Brown Wrapper.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, George. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-16-2014, 04:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Has the GH 400 he owned before that been located as of yet? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=1964+family

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Has the GH 400 he owned before that been located as of yet? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=1964+family Craig
      OOPS, Craig; it might be easy to get confused in that thread. Neither George Dale nor his father George (no middle name) ever owned a Golden Hawk 400.

The 400 you're thinking of was owned by Ted Harbit. Ted had bought a new 1957 Silver Hawk and traded it in to Snider toward the 400 "demo" Mrs. Snider had driven.

George Dale bought Ted's trade-in Silver Hawk from Snider as a used car, not knowing at the time that the previous (and original) owner had been Ted Harbit.

And, no, there's never been any trace of Mrs. Snider's and Ted's Midnight Black / Arctic White accents "400" having surfaced...at least to date. The Serial Number is known; in the event it ever shows up, it can be positively identified. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What a nice way to send a Birthday Greeting!!!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, Happy Birthday to you George!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Great story! Happy Birthday!!

Comment

Happy Birthday George!
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

'Just read on the Hemmings Daily Blog that George shares a birthday with Andre Michelin (1853)and A. J. Foyt (1935).

Cool beans, George. Bob

Comment

Happy birthday, George and many happy returns! Maybe I'll see you at the YMCA on Sunday?
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

BP you always come up with the best Studebaker stories, have a good day your self and happy birthday Geo. good to have you back Bob.............the other BP
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Thanks very much, guys. And thanks for the thread, Bob. At the age of 72, when I bend over to tie my shoes, I try to think of what else I can do when I'm down there. <G>

I'm just recovering from the first case of pneumonia I've ever had, and man, when you start to feel good again, that's the best birthday gift of all.

Thanks, everybody!

George
                      george krem

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        'Just read on the Hemmings Daily Blog that George shares a birthday with Andre Michelin (1853)and A. J. Foyt (1935).

Cool beans, George. Bob
                        Sharing a birthday with Michelin explains why I'm TIRED all the time, Bob. Ouch.

George
                        george krem

Comment

Happy birthday George from all of us in Australia.
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Happy Birthday Mr. K! i have always felt honored when you, Mr. H, Mr. Q, Mr. BP (and many others), took the time to answer some of the threads regarding my Studebakers...
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Notice the foolish ear-to-ear grin on my face as I accept the Challenger keys from Uncle Jerry. I guess that's what you look like when you buy a new Studebaker, although I'll bet many of you have had a similar grin when buying a Stude you've been after for some time.

Here's to buying many more.

George
                              george krem

Comment

Working...
                              X