Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone recognize this red 1980s Avanti II convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognize this red 1980s Avanti II convertible?

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1742239Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1742240

In scrounging in the attic I found this matted photo of a c1984-85(?) Avanti II convertible. It measures 20 X 25 1/2" and was professionally done in Dayton Ohio (see image #2). Was this a dealer showroom picture, from a private collection or ? I have no recollection of when or why I got it but was planning to list it on Ebay. Anyone know anything about it or have an interest in it?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I believe that's a factory photo or it looks similar to a factory promotional photo I've seen numerous times on eBay.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I believe that this Avanti is too new to be an "Avanti II". It is an Avanti convertible.
      To me, it looks like 1987 S/N ---27 that I was under contract to purchase new. The last that I knew, the car was in the Ohio/Illinois/mid-west area.
      It also appears the same, including colors, as the prototype 1983 Avanti convertible.
      I think that you would be safe in listing it as a 1983-1987 Avanti convertible.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The car appears to be the 83 prototype commissioned by Steve Blake. Note the 63-64 front fenders with the larger wheel openings, and the mirrors and seats are not the Monte Carlo ones that Kelly used.
        Jim
        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

A NCSDC member owns a car something like this one. It's a prototype with no top.
          Jack White
          Charlotte,NC
          North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Could be the 'Wheel Of Fortune' Avanti.

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
              The car appears to be the 83 prototype commissioned by Steve Blake.
              I believe that is correct. I will confirm it when I get home later as I have the Summer, 1983 issue of Special Interest & Cars magazine showing it being fabricated in Richard Straman's shop in CA.

Here is from the Spring, 1984 issue of the same, showing a black & white photo of what RQ has.

I actually got to sit in that car in 1986 when it was on display at Northwest Avanti Motors in Tacoma.

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 01-15-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Wish I could remember where I got it!
                Richard Quinn

Comment

This is the Straman Prototype. It was commissioned by Steve Blake as his first convertible prototype. The later production convertibles are of a different design and were based on a second prototype. The serial number is RQB-3370. and it is in fact a 1982 Avanti! The rumored total cost was spent was about $100,000.
                  Richard Straman was well known for his conversions, and this car was built from a 1982 coupe in Costa Mesa, CA. It was in the movie Karate Kid.
                  George Rohrbach

Comment

Originally posted by Georger View Post
                    This is the Straman Prototype. It was commissioned by Steve Blake as his first convertible prototype. The later production convertibles are of a different design and were based on a second prototype. The serial number is RQB-3370. and it is in fact a 1982 Avanti! The rumored total cost was spent was about $100,000.
                    Richard Straman was well known for his conversions, and this car was built from a 1982 coupe in Costa Mesa, CA. It was in the movie Karate Kid.
                    George Rohrbach
                    I saw it in person at Northwest Avanti in Tacoma in 1986, so it did make the rounds.

Craig

Comment

Great info. Thanks. Wonder who owns it now?
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

In the movie it still had chrome bumpers and other older styling ques.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

The car that appeared in the Karate Kid, Fall Guy and Trapper John MD was a Florida Built 1977 model that kept its chrome bumpers and earlier trim details.

This car with the plastic bumpers started out as a regular 1983 model shipped to California for conversion.

Chris. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG (4).jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1687326
                          Attached Files

Comment

NCSDC member Ed Wingate's car (Never had a top)

Jack White
                            Charlotte,NC
                            North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

I'm thinking the Wheel of Fortune car was an 1988. I think. cheers jimmijim
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X