Price Guide: Avanti prices expected to increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Guide: Avanti prices expected to increase

I just received the new 2014 Winter/Spring price guide from Sports Car Market magazine (the guys that report on all the auctions).

For a #2 car they say:
    Low $18,000 High $28,000 and they give it 4 stars which means they expect it to outpace the general (i.e. not vintage Ferraris or older Porsche 911s which are very "hot" now) market and gain 10% or more in the coming year.
    For comparison here's what they said in
    2013 Summer/Fall
    Low 15,000 High 26,000
    2013 Winter/Spring; 2012 Summer/Fall; 2012 Winter/Spring; 2011
    Low 14,500 High $25,000

Yes, we all know price guides aren't always worth the paper they're printed on....but allow me to look at this like a glass that's half full: It's nice to see some upward movement. For years Avantis have been undervalues, the same car with a Ford or GM badge would bring triple what Avantis now bring.

In fact, they predict all Studebakers will see increases...
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Let's hope they stay low so we can continue to afford to own these great cars. I think we should keep them a secret. . . ha ha.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It all depends on whether you're buying or selling!
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        Let's hope they stay low so we can continue to afford to own these great cars. I think we should keep them a secret. . . ha ha.
        i see your "ha ha" so i ass-u-me you're joking. but for us current Studebaker owners i think this is great news! especially if the "rising tide" (prices) helps most Studebaker models get closer to the big 3 values currently in the market.

i didn't purchase the '51 as an investment (although it did empty my bank account). but if i had a catastrophic issue such as declining health, it would be good to know that i could recover that expense - plus maybe a little profit.

the downside i see is if one wanted to purchase their first Studebaker or add a few to their "flock" without selling their other(s).

i'm kinda going thru the same with my '89 Buick Reatta. the first two model years (of 4 yrs.) are now eligible for most multi-make car shows. except for some low mileage 'verts and select sixty models, they are dirt cheap. once they get "out there", to the younger car guys looking for their first entry into the classic car hobby, i would think the demand will go up, hence the prices will rise...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Good news for those who are old car investors/business people. Bad news for the old car hobbyist. More young folks might start to get "priced out" of the Studebaker hobby maybe? And I agree with all the comments above. It's a double-edged sword, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
            More young folks might start to get "priced out" of the Studebaker hobby maybe?
            Fuel prices, insurance, taxes, storage, cost of restoration supplies, etc. will get people out of the hobby before Studebaker prices.
            Besides, an Avanti isn't really an "entry level" Studebaker.
            Again, I'm (and I'm sure other Avanti owners) not looking to become rich, just not take a big bath when it comes time to sell our cars.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The price range looks believable to me.

However, that's a 55% spread between the low and the high...not for ALL Avantis, but for ONLY a #2. I think it is pretty safe of them to state this range. It will be hard to be wrong. If all #2 Avantis sold next year bring $18k they can still say they were right.

They may be ONLY talking about high end auction sales, also...not all sales via all venues for the year. Hard to tell.

Third, a #2 car is VERY rare. John's is probably one since Allen Barth did a total, quality, professional restoration on it. #2's can be driven 800 miles a year and still be called a #2. They are probably stored in a climate controlled garage and trailered to most shows. The Kart Hauler was a #2. Most cars at car shows are #3's. I'm guessing, but the range might be something like $12k-$18k for #3s.

Lastly, if anyone REALLY believed the price guide forecast, they would be out buying up all the #2 Avantis they could find. 20% on your investment in a year would be hard to pass up if it was a sure thing.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                Fuel prices, insurance, taxes, storage, cost of restoration supplies, etc. will get people out of the hobby before Studebaker prices.
                Again, I'm (and I'm sure other Avanti owners) not looking to become rich, just not take a big bath when it comes time to sell our cars.

I think most Avanti owners aren't in it to make money. They're in it for the love and design of the car. Rare is the person who can make money buying and selling them.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  I think most Avanti owners aren't in it to make money. They're in it for the love and design of the car. Rare is the person who can make money buying and selling them.
                  I agree. That's the true "hobbyist" to which I was referring. If I'm able to sell a hobby car and break even or turn a little profit (which is next to impossible especially when one factors in maintenance costs, insurance costs, etc.), I see that as a bonus. I've only done that on two occasions having sold 7 of my "collectors" cars over the past 30 years (4 Studebakers, 1 Ford, 1 Edsel, 1 Chevy--and it was 2 of the Studebakers on which I made a little--emphasize "little"--money). Most of us here don't buy cars--or houses for that matter--to "flip" (another disservice of reality TV, but I digress--that's a "Stove-Huggers" topic, isn't it?). And there's nothing wrong with those who do flip cars for a living. Hey, that's capitalism at its best!

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                  True, the Avanti is not an entry level Studebaker. Honestly, I have no desire to own an Avanti. I prefer the earlier vintage Studebakers--pre-'53. And I prefer plain-Jane 4 door sedans at that. Your original posting, however, also stated: "In fact, they predict all Studebakers will see increases..." That is really what I was referring to when I floated the question about young folks' financial ability to enter the Studebaker hobby. And, yes, I agree with you that other expenses factor into the equation as well. The price of fuel is one of the reasons I don't drive my cars with greater frequency. I only have so much money allotted for my "hobby" budget. When gas prices go up, the Studebakers are driven less frequently. People are often amazed to learn that the parts are worth more than the whole when it comes to my cars. If we were in it solely for the money, we'd part out all of our cars Heck, we're lucky if the value of our cars as they sit keep pace with the rate of inflation.

Please don't think I'm knocking those you who are business owners selling Studebaker parts and services. You all provide a valuable service by helping keep my cars on the road for as reasonable an amount of money as is possible. And in the best tradition of American capitalism, too, you are helping to make America strong. Thank you! You are faced with huge financial challenges and overhead today as small business owners. My brother owns his own sole-proprietor business (non-auto related). I wouldn't attempt to do what he does for anything. He hasn't had a day off since mid-October (including Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day) and hasn't had a vacation in well over 10 years. Anyone involved in any "hobby," be it cars or golf or gardening or scrapbooking or whatever, has to pay to play, and there is always a need for somebody to provide the "equipment" for that hobby. Thank goodness for the risk-taking entreprenuer who has more courage than I to offer those services and equipment.

Happy motoring.
                  Last edited by southbend; 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X