Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They are now naked, but how do I dress them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: They are now naked, but how do I dress them?

Installed two new battery cables today..........what would be the best product to apply to the two posts to protect and keep acid buildup to a minimum??

Thanks

Petroleum jelly will work but a neater way to go is use spray wire dryer that you spray on distributor caps and plug wires. It forms a clear seal over the battery terminals and cable ends.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I always use dielectric grease, with a pair of the treated felt washers underneath.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Permatex 80370

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sound crazy but my grandfather always had an Int. travel all. He always left a penny on the top of his battery so the acid would form there instead of the cables.
          I don't know if it really works I was only 10 but that was the reason I couldn't have that penny.

Dean.

PS,
          And yes to this day I still want a travel all they are way cool.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
            I still want a travel all they are way cool.
            I completely agree

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
              Sound crazy but my grandfather always had an Int. travel all. He always left a penny on the top of his battery so the acid would form there instead of the cables.
              I don't know if it really works I was only 10 but that was the reason I couldn't have that penny.Dean.PS,
              And yes to this day I still want a travel all they are way cool.
              That used to work (or help) on the old Tar Top Batteries with large vents on every Cell Cap, but now we have sealed and semi-sealed Tops and smooth plastic Batt. cases, so there is nowhere to put the penny where it would stay and no need anymore.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                That used to work (or help) on the old Tar Top Batteries with large vents on every Cell Cap, but now we have sealed and semi-sealed Tops and smooth plastic Batt. cases, so there is nowhere to put the penny where it would stay and no need anymore.
                So 40 years later I can now have that penny.

Makes me feel a lot better.

Dean.

Comment

Just think if you would have invested that penny so many years ago!!
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Today, I replaced the batteries in my old 8N tractor and my '87 Nissan truck. I have an old rusting can of some kind of spray that must be similar to the Permatex stuff that rockney10 posted. It works great. I have had it so long that the label has long since flaked away and the exterior of the can has rusted. I used one of those battery post tools that have wire brushes to clean the post and the cable connections. I cleaned the cables, posts, and hooked everything up.

The truck cranked and ran great. I was able to fire up the old tractor and change from my plowing discs to the scrape blade. If we happen to get one of those rare snow events here this winter. I'll be prepared to clear my driveway. Of course, that will be useless if the county don't send anyone by to clear the road.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X