Avanti R-3 & R-4 Engine Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti R-3 & R-4 Engine Info

Wild about cars online has information printed on R-3 & R4 Engines. Worth the read

John Hull

The 1964 price list is interesting. The R3 heads and intake set, complete, was $306 and it took six years to sell all the overstock. In today's dollars, that's $2300. It probably wouldn't take six years to sell them all.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Bob P, were you going by an Alias in 1963? I see this letter from Bill Dredge was sent to Bob Palina!

Click image for larger version

Name:	R Series HP Ratings2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1687307Click image for larger version

Name:	R Series HP Ratings1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1687306
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-13-2014, 09:09 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Bob P, were you going by an Alias in 1963? I see this letter from Bill Dredge was sent to Bob Palina!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31356[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31355[/ATTACH]
        Yes, Rich; that's a standard joke.

We "covered" it in a Co-Operator several years ago, but I don't have time to find it this morning. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Yes, Rich; that's a standard joke.

We "covered" it in a Co-Operator several years ago, but I don't have time to find it this morning. BP
          And here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=palina

Craig

Comment

Thanks, Craig; I had forgotten about that link here. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Avantict View Post
              Wild about cars online has information printed on R-3 & R4 Engines. Worth the read

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9970399556941
              1986- in original Granatelli crates.
              Attached Files
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                1986- in original Granatelli crates.
                Here is more information on the R3 and R4 crate engines, posted by Paul Johnson. We originally ran his photos and information on the engines in Avanti Magazine Issue 111, Summer/Fall 2000. (wow.. 14 years ago!)
                they remain on display at the Studebaker National Museum.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by lschuc; 01-14-2014, 09:01 AM.
                Lew Schucart
                Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
                  Here is more information on the R3 and R4 crate engines, posted by Paul Johnson. We originally ran his photos and information on the engines in Avanti Magazine Issue 111, Summer/Fall 2000. (wow.. 14 years ago!)
                  they remain on display at the Studebaker National Museum.
                  Wow! I had forgotten that coverage. Thanks for the refresher.
                  I did sell the R-3 several years ago and, sadly, the original Paxton crates with the built-in cradles disappeared from the Museum in spite of Phil Brown's promise that they would keep them. Unfortunately, also missing- the R-3 air cleaner, the air tube from the cleaner to the supercharger, the fender grommet and the drive belts. The air cleaner is not on the R-4, but Andy said he took it off for safekeeping.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                  X