Ummm...if a car is a convertible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ummm...if a car is a convertible...

...mustn't it have the capability of "converting" from a closed to open configuration, and back?

I think the terminology needed here is Parade Car. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    ...mustn't it have the capability of "converting" from a closed to open configuration, and back?

I think the terminology needed here is Parade Car. BP
    Since it has no side glass, it would possibly be a 'roadster', provided it has a folding top hiding under that tonneau cover.

Craig

Comment

A guy here in Tallahassee converted several bullet noses into displays for the long gone "Studebaker's" restaurant chain. They all had the same red paint and white interior. My friend George had two of them, one's remains is still sitting behind the shop.

Comment

I like the "restored" all original EXCEPT the 350 sbc!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Well Mr. Palma, you did not mention that great battery hold down.

Mark

Comment

Semantics, nothing more. Why not, open car or... cistern? Who cares. At least he seems honest in the description. Some wouldn't be.
            Last edited by Xcalibur; 01-13-2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

What a Great.....Fun Car!
              That would bee pure enjoyment touring Wine Country on a warm Summer night!!!
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

...mustn't it have the capability of "converting" from a closed to open configuration, and back? BP
                Bob,
                Didn't the early manuals and catalogs for the '53 K label it a "convertible"?
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                  I like the "restored" all original EXCEPT the 350 sbc!

Jim
                  I wonder if it's a twin engine job, 'cause he describes the 350 as, "additional."
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    Bob,
                    Didn't the early manuals and catalogs for the '53 K label it a "convertible"?
                    Quite possibly, Brad, and you make a good point:

When General Motors introduced the 1949 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1949 Buick Roadmaster Riviera, and 1949 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday without 'B' pillars, they often referred to them as "hardtop convertibles." The industry kind of chugged along with that definition in the early 1950s, until people came to understand that a true convertible had a folding fabric top.

And my gosh, putting a new top and seat covers on a $275 Plymouth convertible in April 1956 must've really cut into the dealer's profit :

(No wonder I ate so many hot dogs and peanut-butter sandwiches when I was 10 years old...) BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Its a dealer selling the car, semantics aside. how about
                      college tuition forces sale $12,950 will trade down for late-model or classic.
                      . he's gonna send a different late-model to pay the college?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                        Its a dealer selling the car, semantics aside. how about . he's gonna send a different late-model to pay the college?
                        I read the statement as; he wants cash for the tuition plus another car (of lesser value).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A similarly done 52 with the original 6 Cyl engine has been for sale here in town for a couple years now with a couple different classic car places. I looked at it at one point and thought they did a decent job but was concerned there was no frame reinforcement when they cut the top and thought it was as said above, a parade only car.
                          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                          1961 Hawk 4-speed
                          1967 Avanti
                          1961 Lark 2 door
                          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

...until people came to understand that a true convertible had a folding fabric top.
                            I think there was also a terminology change in the early thirties. Studebaker did not have a convertible until 1931, when the door windows were glass and rolled down! Isinglass curtains did not qualify one to be a "convertible".
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                            X