Stranger than fiction - 1964 Avanti in Oliver Stone movie Nixon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stranger than fiction - 1964 Avanti in Oliver Stone movie Nixon

A maroon 1964 Avanti appears in a Studebaker dealer showroom in Oliver Stones film "Nixon."

It looks like it has round headlights in your image from the movie, so it probably is a '63
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Nixon's law firm did work for Studebaker, so it's not that strange a Stude would be included. A rare instance of truth in an Oliver Stone film.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The headlights are hard to see, but I saw the film and remember the car as a 64. May have been the maroon color which was introduced for the 64 models.

Comment

I seem to remember that scene being at the Dallas Auto Show. One of the characters is shown writing on the back of a real piece of the '63 Stude sales brochure--the one with the blue cover.

I remember having high hopes for that movie, but I didn't like it. It came and went in the theaters rather quickly too, considering the pre-release buzz.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

I somehow got the impression that the scene was filmed in a Studebaker dealer showroom, but it definitely looks more like an auto show. Is the Dallas Auto Show actually mentioned in the script? I may need to update the information.

Comment

Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
              I somehow got the impression that the scene was filmed in a Studebaker dealer showroom, but it definitely looks more like an auto show. Is the Dallas Auto Show actually mentioned in the script? I may need to update the information.
              I'm going from memory here, so probably best not to quote me (!), but I seem to remember it being in Dallas around the time of JFK's assasination. I know that Nixon was in town that day or right before.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Thanks for the tip. An excuse for me to do some research!

Comment

I am surprised no one noticed the Main Car in the 1964 Auto Show set that the Stars were standing in front of, the beautifully restored Jet Green '64 GT Hawk.

It was Stan Haverland's Car at the time, a Los Angeles Member more recently showing his Turquoise with White Top '65 Daytona Sports Sedan at International Meets and La Palma etc.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For the Studes in movies Buffs out there, I found a site tonight "Internet Movie Car Data Base" that lists every car, truck, even tractors that have appeared in movies and TV shows. I was looking up Avanti convertibles in TV series and it showed the entire rolling stock along with pics, used in the shows and movies.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                    X