Scammers! My car is everywhere.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers! My car is everywhere.

I did a simple "48 Studebaker for sale" search yesterday and found 4 different ads showing my car for sale. One was in Cadillac, MI another in Ronoke, VA and a couple more in other places.
    I know it's my car because the info is the same, the pics are the same and it has the same scratches on the quarter panel. Crazyness!

Did you do any of your early-December Christmas shopping at Target, Jeff? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I hit Target..................... Now I have a new debit card Those scumbags like to steal other peoples sales ad's and drop the price to like 20% of what it should go for. If your stupid enough to fall for it they ask you to send a check or money order. Than you sit around wondering why you havent heard back from them. Check cashed Hasta La Vista.

Comment

My other car was featured on the My Classic Car website.
        Within hours I got an email from a "collector" who wanted to buy it. Of course he didn't ask any questions about the car itself, but was very interested in payment and shipping details...they wanted to collect it ASAP.
        He left a Seattle phone number, so I had the Washington State Patrol Seattle are car theft division check it out. Phony number, phony address.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

A cherry 409 63 SS Impala was on Craig's list for $7000 and supposedly in Michigan. I asked and guess what, He was over seas and wanted $3500 down ,than me to go pick up car and send him the other $3500. I told him I would just take $7000 and give it when I picked up car. Of course ,that wasn't allowed
          Randy Wilkin
          1946 M5 Streetrod
          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I haven't been in a Target store in years. Wal-mart is much closer and Amazon and Rock Auto allow me to shop from my easy chair.
            Maybe I'd better get the registration started on my car JIC.
            The car dealer I bought it from in Alabama (bought it in Tuscaloosa) told me the state didn't require a title for that old of a car.
            I got a bill of sale only.
            So, we'll see what Tennessee says about that...Maybe I'll be registered by the time I get it running.

Comment

Hey Jeff...how 'bout some links...that way we'd know which were the scams...and perhaps we could have some fun annoying and scamming the scammer!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've seen the same Studebakers offered for sale by these VA and MI scammers at the same time. There's also a scammer in CA who does the same thing with the same cars. If your car's not been "stolen" by the CA scammer yet, I bet it will be soon. What is so frustrating, Jefscoupe, is that you can't do thing one (that I know of) to prevent this sort of thing from happening when you post anything on the Internet. Due diligence is always in order, especially when dealing with the Internet. Not excusing bad behavior by any means, but common sense should be the order of the day. It's a shame this kind of thing goes on, but the Internet is new Wild West. Always proceed with caution. The first telegraph message said it best: "What hath God wrought?" Thanks for the heads-up, Jefscoupe.
                Caveat emptor!

Comment

Uh, um... Welcome to the WWW, thank you!!! Guess, I'll die with all my stuff; then, my son can deal with all the BS, or simply give it away locally! Btw, I've a car I originally found on the Web and bought... those ol' cached Webpages will never go away and my car will be legitimately (but grossly outdated) listed as "For Sale" in perpetuity! Some day the price in those ads might even make sense!!!

And, of course, there are those who simply relist the original, legit ads, so that they can get revenue for click-throughs at their sites.
                  Last edited by Xcalibur; 01-11-2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X