PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a 4-speed body tag?

00RACER
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
If the 63 Super Larks had a 4-speed tag at the body tag, where could I find one?
THANKS

BobPalma
01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Paul, unless someone repops those streamers, you have to find one on a parts car or at a swap meet.

However, not all 4-speed cars have (or had) one, so if you have a factory 4-speed car that apparently never had a tag, there is no authenticity issue. :) Usage was inconsistent, even among full-package Super Larks. :( BP

00RACER
01-10-2014, 03:52 PM
BOB
I think that tag was "SPD". I will keep an eye out for one.
THANKS

StudeRich
01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
/Cut/Usage was inconsistent, even among full-package Super Larks. :( BP

I think is was like the first couple of 4 Speed or Power Shift cars to come down the line on a Monday Morning after their "Wild UAW Weekend" had to be tagged to get the correct floor in the Body until they woke up or their hangover wore off! :D

stude dude
01-11-2014, 12:28 AM
I have a factory 4 speed 1962 Daytrona here, a good original California car with original paint, and there is no evidence of it ever having an extra streamer on it. I would guess less than half of the 4 speed cars built actually had the extra tag.

Chris.

candbstudebakers
01-11-2014, 01:38 AM
I have only seen about 2 of the tags and one was on a 64 GT . and the other on a 62 Daytona hardtop both cars gone now hawk was sold out right and tag was still on it, the Daytona it was removed before selling the car as a project and it is in Australia now, I think I sold to tag to someone that asked about one.

candbstudebakers
01-11-2014, 01:40 AM
Chris, I think the Daytona is the one you have now, the black one you got from Chris Whitcroft but if there is not a hole than that is not the one I took off.

packardHawk58
01-11-2014, 04:10 AM
My factory 63 R2 4 speed hardtop hasn't got one either.

stude dude
01-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Chris, I think the Daytona is the one you have now, the black one you got from Chris Whitcroft but if there is not a hole than that is not the one I took off.

That will be the one. But I can't find a hole or a mark in the paint. And everything looks original.

Chris.

jerezstude
01-11-2014, 06:17 AM
As I have posted before if someone were to post or email me a picture with sizes I can reproduce them and have them for York. Jerry KURTZ

mbstude
01-11-2014, 06:43 AM
As I have posted before if someone were to post or email me a picture with sizes I can reproduce them and have them for York. Jerry KURTZ

I will post some pictures later today.

unclemiltie
01-11-2014, 07:07 AM
One came on my 61 Hawk. I took it off when I repainted the car and I guess I will find it some day wherever I put it for safe keeping.

studefan
01-11-2014, 08:17 AM
I have seen both "4 SPD" and "4 SPEED" on tags. No sure which covers which years.

SN-60
01-11-2014, 09:19 AM
As has been mentioned before, I'm not a fan of reproducing these 'streamers'. Studebaker attached body tag 'streamers' to certain of their vehicles for reasons that we may never know....and that's what makes these items so interesting. Reproduce them, and that 'uniqueness' is gone. Attach a reproduction 'streamer' to the body tag of every Studebaker with, say, a four speed transmission....and seeing one of these tags on a four speed car would be about as interesting as observing a rocker cover oil cap! It's DEFINITELY a step in the wrong direction to reproduce a rare item like this, unless it is known that the vehicle came off the Studebaker assembly lines with one and the factory 'streamer' was lost or destroyed. I realize that the folks that 'have GOT to have one' on their cars won't listen to this.......but I also know they'll understand My point here.

unclemiltie
01-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Mine was attached to the body tag on the cowl under the hood. I did not reattach it as while I thought it was cool I did not like it hanging off the tag. Another case of personal taste.

jackb
01-11-2014, 09:59 AM
.......slippery slope: if ideas like these (repopped tags) ever gets traction, where else will it go ? Matching numbers ? I'm certain that if the marque goes that way, it is doomed. Our cars simply cannot compete with the Big 3....no matter how much mayo you spread on them. You will successfully kill all the bread n' butter sedans, simple Hawks, etc....JMHO

stude1964
01-11-2014, 10:03 AM
I had a '62 Daytona parts car which was factory 4 speed & NO TAG. I did see a tag on a '61 Hawk, original owner car that had a tag. I can't remember if "speed" was spelled out. I think Joe (PSMCD) or John Flannery had a 4 speed car with a tag. Rob in PA.

mbstude
01-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Here you go guys. One shot of it installed on a 62 Daytona from the factory, and another with the tag beside a couple of regular body tags for comparison.

00RACER
01-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Yea, i like that. I really do not need one, but it would be nice to have just to say my car has one. Anyone have one for sale?
Thanks

merv
01-11-2014, 03:48 PM

bob the 62 daytona you got from me that went to new zeland had one

mbstude
01-11-2014, 05:13 PM
I thought I'd post a larger version of the picture I posted earlier. The font on the streamer is smaller than the font on the regular cowl body tags.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t590/56president/tags_zps13b16118.jpg

avantilover
01-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Time to calm down everyone, I'm sure nobody intended to cause offence with their remarks.

Am locking the thread before we have a repeat of the Gunfight At The Ok Corral.

showbizkid
01-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Thank you John for your fast action.

I have removed the personal exchange and re-opened the thread, as it's an interesting topic.

Let's all keep it on topic please.

SN-60
01-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Folks need to be cautious if they are thinking of making/ changing/ creating automotive VIN plates....as this activity is normally frowned upon by police and state RMV's. Best check with local 'powers that be' before attempting something like this!

Swifster
01-11-2014, 11:19 PM
This isn't a VIN plate and doesn't have a VIN stamped on it. I have an original 4-Speed car and it was used as a donor for another car. I see no problem with putting one of these streamers on if I find one. The problem is that more 4-Speed cars have survived than the streamers.

Making VIN plates isn't illegal. There are a few companies doing this for other makes. Cowl/fender tags are also made. Changing VIN plates and passing a car off as something it isn't is illegal. Having a 4-Speed car and putting a streamer on it is not.

SN-60
01-12-2014, 09:49 AM
This isn't a VIN plate and doesn't have a VIN stamped on it. I have an original 4-Speed car and it was used as a donor for another car. I see no problem with putting one of these streamers on if I find one. The problem is that more 4-Speed cars have survived than the streamers.

Making VIN plates isn't illegal. There are a few companies doing this for other makes. Cowl/fender tags are also made. Changing VIN plates and passing a car off as something it isn't is illegal. Having a 4-Speed car and putting a streamer on it is not.

If You re-read My post (#24) You'll see I was speaking of 'VIN' plates.....Just a gentle reminder!:)

Swifster
01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
If You re-read My post (#24) You'll see I was speaking of 'VIN' plates.....Just a gentle reminder!:)

If you re-read my post (#25), you'll see that I addressed 'VIN' plates as well as the streamers.....Just a gentle reminder! :)

I like the streamers. There use to me is still unclear. Some cars got them and some didn't. I'd like to see someone dig into their history, the use of different streamers, years of use for each kind, etc. Some of the little minutia can be interesting. I know they were used for 4-Speeds, air conditioning, export models, as well as other options. I know there were other posts on the subject. I'll have to look them up.

SN-60
01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
If you re-read my post (#25), you'll see that I addressed 'VIN' plates as well as the streamers.....Just a gentle reminder! :)

I like the streamers. There use to me is still unclear. Some cars got them and some didn't. I'd like to see someone dig into their history, the use of different streamers, years of use for each kind, etc. Some of the little minutia can be interesting. I know they were used for 4-Speeds, air conditioning, export models, as well as other options. I know there were other posts on the subject. I'll have to look them up.

Streamers were probably installed on the Stude assembly line when something 'out of the norm' was happening with a car. For example, My '55 President Speedster was painted all Velvet Black at the customers request. Also, the hood and fender top trim was deleted at the customers request. No doubt these are the reasons a streamer was affixed to the body cowl tag of this Studebaker.