Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Any one know anything about this sign??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Any one know anything about this sign??

just wondering if any one knows anything about this sign i picked up at a yard sale last summer. not looking to sell it but to learn its history. its a single side thick metal sign

The Lark sign is a bit unusual, it does not look like a Factory Authorized sign, but the Johnson Motors Sign may be overlaid on the Lark one or not, and if it were real, I can't imagine a Town called "Home Town". That is way stranger than the Lark part.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have some old dealer stock here from a Johnson Motors. Will check the address but I remember it coming from Wisconsin.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I can't imagine a Town called "Home Town". That is way stranger than the Lark part.
        There's a town in Pennsylvania named Hometown so I would imagine there's a few others.

Comment

SWAG
          Maybe a chamber of commerce sign that they put on the "Welcome to Home Town" sign at the edge of town???
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Maybe it was a sample sign with the common name "Johnson" and "Home Town" as placeholders.
            Even though most dealers used badges, I'd imagine a small version of this to be a pretty snappy dealer decal.
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
              Maybe it was a sample sign with the common name "Johnson" and "Home Town" as placeholders.
              Even though most dealers used badges, I'd imagine a small version of this to be a pretty snappy dealer decal.
              That makes good sense...
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Their was a place by Chicago named Home Town ,don`t know about any car dealers tho. Mac

Comment

I show :
                  Johnson Motors, Mt Pleasant, MI
                  Johnson Motors, Owatanna, MN
                  Johnson Motors, Williamsport, PA
                  Johnson Motors, Mt. Vernon, WA

Nothing for Hometown, PA, but with only 1300 population in 2000, it may not have been 'dealer-worthy'...

If these items are your collection, what is the name on that Award above it?
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I bought the parts inventory from Johnson Motors in Mount Vernon Il
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

To me, it looks like a sample sign. I do not remember any like this. Richard Q. would probably know. I wonder what a sign of this size would even be used for.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        To me, it looks like a sample sign.
                        I agree, and if someone has one a those circa 1959/60 Studebaker Dealer equipment catalogs, it's probably shown.

Sign could have been placed anywhere in a specific location, could have read: A. C. Almind Redlands CA, a dealer I bought out in 1975.

I also bought all the parts from the dealer that preceded Ricker Motors in Whittier, the dealer in Sonora, McAuley Motors in Merced (including Packard & Edsel parts), Crowley & Traulson in Watsonville and "cherry picked" dozens more.
                        Last edited by WinM1895; 01-09-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                          Sign could have been placed anywhere in a specific location, could have read: A. C. Almind Redlands CA, a dealer I bought all the parts from in 1975.
                          That's the dealer my '57 Commander was delivered to!!!
                          When I got her in 1999 she still had both of her license plate frames.
                          I have pictures- but can't post them now.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

After buying all the parts, I went over to the old mans house. He had TONS of goodies including a bas relief wall plaque of the Studebaker Brothers (I've never seen another), promo models, sales awards, porcelain and enamel signs, banners, ancient literature, some of which dated back to the wagon days.

I was able to buy some of it, but the thing I wanted the most, he wouldn't sell...the plaque of the Studebaker Brothers.

Remember Ray Beggs? If not, your dad will. Ray was a 56J nut, lived in Redlands, was astonished when I bought all this stuff.

His wife was the all time shrew, a real b!tch...how he put up with her, I dunno.

Ray's parents lived in Pacific Palisades. I hadn't seen him in years, but one day in the 1990's he came into Santa Monica Ford to buy some parts for his dad.

Both of us were amazed when we saw one another. I asked him during the course of the conversation, is your wife outside in the car?

Yes, he said, but please don't go out there, once she sees you, she'll think I'm buying Studebaker parts.
                            Last edited by WinM1895; 01-09-2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                              That's the dealer my '57 Commander was delivered to!!! When I got her in 1999 she still had both of her license plate frames. I have pictures- but can't post them now.
                              I just realized I posted in error. My '58 P A C K A R D came from Redlands, CA.
                              The Commander came from Roseville- up near Sac-a-tomatoes.

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                              Remember Ray Beggs? If not, your dad will. Ray was a 56J nut, lived in Redlands, was astonished when I bought all this stuff.
                              Dad might, yes. I didn't get 'into' Studes until about 1986.
                              By then we had been up here in the PNW for many years.
                              But sometimes I remember little bits-and-pieces of the '70s.
                              That's not one of them, sorry.

StudeDave '57
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC