Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happened to Studebaker's stock of Pre 1959 Interior's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened to Studebaker's stock of Pre 1959 Interior's?

Talked to Will Sander awhile back, asking about 1957 Studebaker interior parts.
    He said he didn't receive anything older than 1959 from Phantom or Sasco.
    Does anyone know what happened to the older interior parts?
    Maybe Studebaker threw them away or are they stashed some place waiting to be
    discovered? Who knows?
    Last edited by 57pack; 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

What I saw at Newman Altman many years ago was not worth saving from water damage and more. I am sure it was trashed!

Comment

I went to a discount tool store in town called Hood's, this is before I was old enough to drive, I am guessing early 60's. They had box after box of headliners, hawk fender turn lights, steering wheels etc. They had bought them at an auction. I always assumed Studebaker had sold some parts in lots. I never knew for sure. I just wish I had had money and smarts to buy a bunch of the parts then. I assume they were not the only buyer of these parts
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The story I was told was that Studebaker fed the pre-1959 upholstery into the boilers!

Having said that, there are some earlier pieces of trim that turn up now and again, mostly from old dealer stock or parts depots.

Chris.

Comment

For many, many years during the Newman & Altman & Standard Surplus ownership, and on to the New SASCO, Dennis & Denise Lambert's ownership, there really never have been pretty much ANY Interior parts prior to 1962...gone, one way or the other.

So that means that Starlight Studebaker's stock contains only '62 to '66 Interior Parts (Seat Covers and Door Panels) and the older years in the group are very slim.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Strangely, N & A did have some N.O.S. carpets for earlier cars. I remember being impressed with the beautiful boxed 1955 Speedster carpets they had in the late nineties. There was also some earlier cloth and vinyl by the roll.

Chris.

Comment

Does Will plan on eventually selling interior pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                He already is. I sent in a request form early last spring and got nearly everything that I had requested this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                  He goes under Starlight Studebaker on the web. There's a download of a inquiry form you fill out and submit.
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I inquired a few times about a year ago and he was not motivated to sell anything then. Thanks, I will try again. This is what I need for the R1 Wagonaire.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by StudeMichael; 01-08-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                      I went to a discount tool store in town called Hood's, this is before I was old enough to drive, I am guessing early 60's. They had box after box of headliners, hawk fender turn lights, steering wheels etc. They had bought them at an auction. I always assumed Studebaker had sold some parts in lots. I never knew for sure. I just wish I had had money and smarts to buy a bunch of the parts then. I assume they were not the only buyer of these parts
                      Now Milt, I know you have all those parts from Hood's stashed in one of Don's trailers!!
                      Lew Schucart
                      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

StudeMichael
                        What year & model is the R 1? The pic makes it look like a '63 interior, non Daytona. Let's see the rest of the car! A buddy of mine in Easton, PA found some Chrysler fabric for the inserts that was dead on spot for his '60 Lark Regal restoration. Sometimes when you inquire and say "Studebaker" some folks immediately write you off. Some years ago I found a furniture rebuilding shop that had upholstery fabric for a Kaiser! Rob in PA.

Comment

In the 1970s, Hurwich Iron, South Bend had NOS 1950s Studebaker seat upholstery, along with fenders and cranks. I believe that they are now long gone.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is a 1963 Regal trim Lark Wagonaire Avanti R1 powered and the only one built with 3 on the tree.

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                            StudeMichael
                            What year & model is the R 1? The pic makes it look like a '63 interior, non Daytona. Let's see the rest of the car! A buddy of mine in Easton, PA found some Chrysler fabric for the inserts that was dead on spot for his '60 Lark Regal restoration. Sometimes when you inquire and say "Studebaker" some folks immediately write you off. Some years ago I found a furniture rebuilding shop that had upholstery fabric for a Kaiser! Rob in PA.

Comment

Working...
                            X