PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Studebaker's stock of Pre 1959 Interior's?

57pack
01-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Talked to Will Sander awhile back, asking about 1957 Studebaker interior parts.
He said he didn't receive anything older than 1959 from Phantom or Sasco.
Does anyone know what happened to the older interior parts?
Maybe Studebaker threw them away or are they stashed some place waiting to be
discovered? Who knows?

Deaf Mute
01-08-2014, 01:48 PM
What I saw at Newman Altman many years ago was not worth saving from water damage and more. I am sure it was trashed!

unclemiltie
01-08-2014, 04:01 PM
I went to a discount tool store in town called Hood's, this is before I was old enough to drive, I am guessing early 60's. They had box after box of headliners, hawk fender turn lights, steering wheels etc. They had bought them at an auction. I always assumed Studebaker had sold some parts in lots. I never knew for sure. I just wish I had had money and smarts to buy a bunch of the parts then. I assume they were not the only buyer of these parts

stude dude
01-08-2014, 04:11 PM
The story I was told was that Studebaker fed the pre-1959 upholstery into the boilers!

Having said that, there are some earlier pieces of trim that turn up now and again, mostly from old dealer stock or parts depots.

Chris.

StudeRich
01-08-2014, 04:57 PM
For many, many years during the Newman & Altman & Standard Surplus ownership, and on to the New SASCO, Dennis & Denise Lambert's ownership, there really never have been pretty much ANY Interior parts prior to 1962...gone, one way or the other. :(

So that means that Starlight Studebaker's stock contains only '62 to '66 Interior Parts (Seat Covers and Door Panels) and the older years in the group are very slim.

stude dude
01-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Strangely, N & A did have some N.O.S. carpets for earlier cars. I remember being impressed with the beautiful boxed 1955 Speedster carpets they had in the late nineties. There was also some earlier cloth and vinyl by the roll.

Chris.

StudeMichael
01-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Does Will plan on eventually selling interior pieces?

61Lark
01-08-2014, 07:12 PM

He already is. I sent in a request form early last spring and got nearly everything that I had requested this fall.

57pack
01-08-2014, 09:06 PM

He goes under Starlight Studebaker on the web. There's a download of a inquiry form you fill out and submit.

StudeMichael
01-08-2014, 10:10 PM
I inquired a few times about a year ago and he was not motivated to sell anything then. Thanks, I will try again. This is what I need for the R1 Wagonaire.

lschuc
01-09-2014, 01:54 AM
I went to a discount tool store in town called Hood's, this is before I was old enough to drive, I am guessing early 60's. They had box after box of headliners, hawk fender turn lights, steering wheels etc. They had bought them at an auction. I always assumed Studebaker had sold some parts in lots. I never knew for sure. I just wish I had had money and smarts to buy a bunch of the parts then. I assume they were not the only buyer of these parts

Now Milt, I know you have all those parts from Hood's stashed in one of Don's trailers!! ;)

stude1964
01-09-2014, 08:23 AM
StudeMichael
What year & model is the R 1? The pic makes it look like a '63 interior, non Daytona. Let's see the rest of the car! A buddy of mine in Easton, PA found some Chrysler fabric for the inserts that was dead on spot for his '60 Lark Regal restoration. Sometimes when you inquire and say "Studebaker" some folks immediately write you off. Some years ago I found a furniture rebuilding shop that had upholstery fabric for a Kaiser! Rob in PA.

studegary
01-09-2014, 01:54 PM
In the 1970s, Hurwich Iron, South Bend had NOS 1950s Studebaker seat upholstery, along with fenders and cranks. I believe that they are now long gone.

StudeMichael
01-09-2014, 07:54 PM
It is a 1963 Regal trim Lark Wagonaire Avanti R1 powered and the only one built with 3 on the tree.

StudeMichael
What year & model is the R 1? The pic makes it look like a '63 interior, non Daytona. Let's see the rest of the car! A buddy of mine in Easton, PA found some Chrysler fabric for the inserts that was dead on spot for his '60 Lark Regal restoration. Sometimes when you inquire and say "Studebaker" some folks immediately write you off. Some years ago I found a furniture rebuilding shop that had upholstery fabric for a Kaiser! Rob in PA.