No announcement yet.

Todays Look @ Where The Engineering Building and Foundry Used To Be 1-6-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays Look @ Where The Engineering Building and Foundry Used To Be 1-6-2014

Today I was driving up Sample Street in my work truck and I was struck at how the site where the old Studebaker Buildings used to sit looked. With the blizzard kicking thru the all night and all day today it created quite a desolate view. Just thought I would share...
    Attached Files

Those drifts are waist to chest deep BTW!

Comment

Kind of looks like the ocean!

Comment

Glad this isn't eye candy!!
        sigpic

Comment

It looks better than comparable industrial acreage in Detroit! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thought there was a driving ban in your area?
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
              That was probably for non-essential travel, Bob.

Photographing historic Studebaker sites in and around South Bend is essential. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

If it was snowing like this in 1959, would the plant still be cranking out brand new Larks to keep up with the demand?

Craig

Comment

There's a similar one south of me in a few of the rural counties. If you're not an emergency vehicle, you're restricted from the roads. They don't want regular folks out on unplowed, snowy, or drifting roadways, and they really, really don't want to travel out to the middle of nowhere's to haul them out of a ditch, particularly if it's too dangerous for themselves. If you're caught out there, you can be ticketed, and if you have to be rescued from the ditch you will be ticketed. They know that due to the snow and the cold, it's a rather dangerous situation if a civilian gets stranded and nobody is around, so they're telling everyone to stay off the roadways and county highways until they can get the roads clear.
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working for a municipality has certain debatable "benefits". I was lucky enough to have to work even though all our buildings were closed. Equipment was failing rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                        Working for a municipality has certain debatable "benefits". I was lucky enough to have to work even though all our buildings were closed. Equipment was failing rapidly.
                        Yes, Rich; you repair snow plows for South Bend city, don't you?

I'll be on my way up there tomorrow at this time (7AM) for the afternoon symposium at The Studebaker National Museum unless I receive notice to the contrary later Tuesday, so clear off the streets, will ya? BP

Comment

Man, Rich, that's what the roads look like around Calgary right now. I came home from a trip to Arizona on the 27th, just a bad blizzard kicked in. Heavy snow, temps -20C (below zero F), and a 50 mph North wind. Took me 4 1/2 hours to drive home, a trip that normally takes me under an hour and half. Stopped and snoozed on the side of the highway at times when visibility dropped to zero. I pulled one Dodge Dakota out of the ditch, and gave another driver a ride home after he put his Dodge Charger deep into the ditch (no pulling that one out). Walking any distance at all would have been life-threatening. I'm glad I did not become a statistic myself.

I'm working at the rig now, and it's only -3C; quite pleasant compared to what people east of here are dealing with.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

A kindler, gentler, less depressing version of the soccer field where the plant once stood, with significantly less white! Just remember that it will look like that in a few months time again!!

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Yes, Rich; you repair snow plows for South Bend city, don't you?
                              LOL Not any more Bob. I work for a even less glamorous municipality,but I am acting equipment repair man. Trucks,mowers all kinds of stuff. Plus snow plowing with pickups,dump trucks and today, it was a loader! Each day is different,and sometimes quite the PIA!

Comment

Working...
                              X