01-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Close to the end, there's a Stude...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qNKtP5vJ2FA

JRoberts
01-04-2014, 07:50 PM
What a tragedy.

62champ
01-04-2014, 08:00 PM
One of the countless examples that we are just specks of dust on this rock...

The guy doing the narration in that video does a lot of the same work for PBS - he is probably the best.

BobPalma
01-04-2014, 09:51 PM
That's amazing, Bob, and oh, so sad. :(

How did you happen to find that You-Tube video? BP

DEEPNHOCK
01-04-2014, 10:19 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/StudeinBlizzardof48_zpsd91a8bc5.jpg

jclary
01-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Well…to really appreciate this little view out the back windshield of history…it is important to realize what the world did not have available that we take for granted today. In 1949, television was a novelty. Heck, few rural farms had running water or indoor plumbing. Many homes, if they had electricity, only had two or three rooms wired. Often, in winter, only a couple of rooms were heated, and that was during daytime.

The main source of news and weather was from newspapers and radio. Weather satellites and long-range weather forecasts were unheard of, except for the “Farmers Almanac.”

Thanks for finding and posting this. It make you wonder what is becoming of us with all the current whining and hand wringing over the fact that it is cold, snowy, and the wind is blowing this winter. Isn’t it ironic that there is a global warming research ship stuck in fifteen miles of ice? In addition, some boorish rube that was awarded a Nobel Prize for predicting the polar cap would be melted by now… is strangely silent.:rolleyes:

Amazing…it’s 2014...it’s warm in Australia…winter in North America…and I still have a Studebaker. Who could have imagined…;)

DEEPNHOCK
01-05-2014, 08:22 AM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s526x395/1551645_464581643647885_624825008_n.jpg

5brown1
01-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Here in South Dakota a couple months ago they had a similiar blizzard event in the western part of the state. 10's of thousands of cattle were lost because the storm was so early and sudden. A lot or ranchers were hurt badly. That snow melted but the damage remained.

Roscomacaw
01-05-2014, 01:15 PM
I was outside - working on the Hawk yesterday. I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt. While we typically have spells of warmish days during mid-winter here, we've had a whole month of them so far - and not a DROP of rain. This ain't good. 2013 was the driest year on record here - here in what's supposed to be the fruit and salad bowl of this nation. Any rivers we count on for water, start IN this state. So if we aren't getting any precipitation, we's gonna run out eventually. In '09 I had our well doubled in depth. I don't know how long that's gonna afford us water, but most of the farmers around here are going to HAVE TO pump more ground water to meet their needs - and most of their wells are about as deep as ours is.
To be sure, I like having the option of working outside - in comfort - day after day. But if it continues like this, I'm gonna have my mind on things other than Studebakers.