1962 Lark transmission options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1962 Lark transmission options

I have a 1962 Daytona with the 6cyl engine and 3 speed automatic transmission, no overdrive. It will do 65 on the freeway but that engine sounds like it's really screaming at that point. I'm wondering two things:

1. Is it safe to drive at 65/70 mph for long periods with this transmission? I don't have a tach, so I don't know how many revs it's giving, but it sure sounds pretty loud.

2. What are my options for a manual transmission? I've done a little bit of searching online and it sorta sounds like only Studebaker transmissions will fit on a Studebaker motor, even though we use the same Borg-Warner transmissions as Ford and Chevy. Is this right? How much does it usually cost to get a good manual Studebaker transmission, clutch pedal, and associated hardware?

Thanks!

As you've noticed, being inside an automatic Lark at that speed is not much fun. Everyone is continually aware the engine is being forced to live outside it's comfort zone. Surprisingly, the little Champion in overall good condition will not immediately self-destruct with continuous 65/70 MPH cruising However, any worn areas, such as main or rod bearings will soon make themselves apparent.

The good news is the Studebaker long-tailshaft Borg-Warner T96 overdrive transmissions are still thick on the ground. Try to find one with, clutch pedal and linkage, wiring harness, kickdown switch, cable and bracket and driveshaft.

JMHO, but I'd never go to the trouble to swap over to a column shifter. A good floor shift conversion is less work to install, functions better and is way more fun to drive.

You'll want to determine which rear axle ratio you have at present. Most 170" 6-cyl overdrives need 4.09 to 4.56 to be happy when loaded.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      As you've noticed, being inside an automatic Lark at that speed is not much fun. Everyone is continually aware the engine is being forced to live outside it's comfort zone. Surprisingly, the little Champion in overall good condition will not immediately self-destruct with continuous 65/70 MPH cruising However, any worn areas, such as main or rod bearings will soon make themselves apparent.

The good news is the Studebaker long-tailshaft Borg-Warner T96 overdrive transmissions are still thick on the ground. Try to find one with, clutch pedal and linkage, wiring harness, kickdown switch, cable and bracket and driveshaft.

JMHO, but I'd never go to the trouble to swap over to a column shifter. A good floor shift conversion is less work to install, functions better and is way more fun to drive.

You'll want to determine which rear axle ratio you have at present. Most 170" 6-cyl overdrives need 4.09 to 4.56 to be happy when loaded.

jack vines
      Ok, good to know that 65 is outside the comfort zone. The little Lark does just fine at 55 mph on county roads and highways, but I'll try to stay off the freeway. Little 2-lane highways are more fun anyway

Where would you recommend I go to find a good transmission? I didn't notice a "classifieds" section on this forum... there's always the SDC magazine classified ads, I suppose, but as a 25 year old, my attention span prefers something online!

I agree about the floor shift. Column shifters are cool and kind of fun, but floor shift is more enjoyable IMO.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by jff View Post
        Ok, good to know that 65 is outside the comfort zone. The little Lark does just fine at 55 mph on county roads and highways, but I'll try to stay off the freeway. Little 2-lane highways are more fun anyway

Where would you recommend I go to find a good transmission? I didn't notice a "classifieds" section on this forum... there's always the SDC magazine classified ads, I suppose, but as a 25 year old, my attention span prefers something online!

I agree about the floor shift. Column shifters are cool and kind of fun, but floor shift is more enjoyable IMO.

Thanks for the advice!
        You're doing part of it by asking here but I might suggest a post in general topics like "T-96 needed" and ask.

You can also muck around here http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/swap.php put T96 in the search box.

Bob

Comment

Your present Borg Warner three speed automatic transmission is a reliable and rugged unit, with the desirable first gear start. If Your not constantly driving on the highway, I'd definitely forget about doing a somewhat complicated auto-to-manual transmission swap, and just enjoy what You have. If anything, change to a higher (lower numerically) rear end gear ratio. Good luck!

Comment

Here's what was once done too a 62 Lark 6 cylinder with automatic. a 3:07 model 27 rear was swapped into it "this one was TT",and it was driven daily on all roads.naturally a sizable hill would tax it,but would go down the highway 65/70 and likely more daily.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

These Overhead 6 Larks were miss-geared IMHO at 3.73 to 1 Ratio for most direct drive cars, Standard and Automatic.
              These give good performance and I think they were trying to impress people that the New OHV 6 had more get up and go, but the Interstate or Highway Cruising with those gears was I think as much a fault as the Head Design for the many, many cracked Heads. if you install a 3.54 or 3.31 Ratio Rear Axle or Ring and Pinion in your Dana Model 27, she will Cruise much better.

As it is, it is good for 50-55 with no problem, but watch the Temp. Gauge some time when you are familiar enough with it to know the normal running Temp. go 55 for a mile or two then watch what happens to the gauge when you step it up to 65-70.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

...absolutely ditto what Rich says.....With 1st gear start, 3.31's would work fine.... play around with the tranny pressure shaft for later shifts... and away you go.

Comment

It's good that you posted here asking for advice.

Many folks do not understand the difference between how fast their car CAN go and how fast it will CONTINUE to go for long periods.

Many, many newbies drive their non-overdrive equipped cars way too fast. That leads to an early death for the engine, feelings of frustration, and unnecessary expense.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

....case in point: I bought a '59 2 dr wagon a few years back. 4.27 w/OD....early '59 2 dr sedans and wagons had bad tranny gears operating the governor and speedo (6 bangers only)... back to the point.... without OD the owner would drive this car from AZ to Mass every summer...after some time he cracked both the head and the block.... tho a good brazing was performed, it just wouldn't do going forward....even w/ a "hot wired" OD w/ toggle, that car couldn't go much faster than 65 without working hard.....and forget about going up any real elevation.....although downshifting into 2nd gear- OD was a help....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                      ....case in point: I bought a '59 2 dr wagon a few years back. 4.27 w/OD....early '59 2 dr sedans and wagons had bad tranny gears operating the governor and speedo (6 bangers only)... back to the point.... without OD the owner would drive this car from AZ to Mass every summer...after some time he cracked both the head and the block.... tho a good brazing was performed, it just wouldn't do going forward....even w/ a "hot wired" OD w/ toggle, that car couldn't go much faster than 65 without working hard.....and forget about going up any real elevation.....although downshifting into 2nd gear- OD was a help....
                      OUCH that's something I want to avoid for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X