Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIP: Which way does crank rotate: Check water pump fan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: TIP: Which way does crank rotate: Check water pump fan!

If you don't have electric fans, you can look at the fan and determine the required crank rotation.

Frankly, I can NEVER remember which way it goes!

Driver side crank down, Block lifts up same side.

Is it true mopars were the opposite?

Dean.

Comment

I take it you're basing rotation on which motor mount lifts when it breaks? I could never remember that either.

One thing, if engines had different rotations, there would have to be different rear ends since if you rotate the engine backwards, the car goes in reverse.

And no one has ever heard of that "reverse direction" rear end.

I saw on some thread where someone said the reason for CW facing front of engine came from the days of crank starting them. If you were right handed, cranking CW was the "natural" direction.

Comment

When you look at cars drag racing as they come off the line the driver side lifts. (pistons down block up)
        The dodge thing must have just been a backwards joke. I did have one with left hand threads on the lug nuts (I believe pass side only)

Dean.

Comment

Those of us old enough to remember cranking our cars have no trouble remembering which way they turn. My '36 Ford Tudor had a bad solenoid. I could start it at a Drive-In by rolling down the slope, but on flat ground it needed either a crank or a push. If it was not dead cold, it would usually start in 1/2 turn.

Comment

Most all American engines.....clockwise when standing with your knees at the front bumper.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
              The dodge thing must have just been a backwards joke. I did have one with left hand threads on the lug nuts (I believe pass side only)

Dean.
              Left hand threads on the left side wheels.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I would hand crank my Dad's Farmall A. It was clockwise. After I left home, Dad broke his arm cranking it.
                It kicked back and "WHACK"! Cast for 2-3 weeks. I tried to get him to fix the darn thing, but that would taken a few bucks to fix...LOL!

Comment

It is easier for me to understand when there is a TDC mark on the damper, and the befores and afters are on a scale on the engine.

Comment

Working...
                  X