No announcement yet.

What wheels fit a 63 Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: What wheels fit a 63 Lark?

I was wondering what other car's/truck's wheels fit a 63 Lark. Would like to eventually find some aluminum wheels foe a 63 four door Lark that is being delivered this coming Saturday.

There are MANY Chrysler and Ford products that will fit. I have Chrysler 5th Ave.wheels on my Avanti.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Here's some data that should help:

The Studebaker bolt pattern is the same as the standard 5-on-4.5" pattern used by Ford, MoPar and AMC, and many of these wheels will fit. Stock 5" Stude wheels have a 4.25" backspace, and OEM Ford & Mopar wheels with 4" backspace work just fine on a Stude.

Lots of Lincoln and Crown Vic wheels from 1990 - 1997 come 15" x 6 1/2" wide with dead on back spacing, as well as 15" x 6" wheels with a 4" back space found on Ford LTDs, Mercury Marquis or Crown Vics from 85-89.

Chrysler 15x7 M-body (Dodge Diplomat, Chrysler New Yorker) wheels will work as well; basically any RWD Chrysler Fifth Avenue or variant from Dodge or Plymouth (like the Diplomat, Fury, even Imperials).

For my car, I went to the junkyard and pulled a wheel off an '80s Diplomat for test fit, then bought brand-new Wheel Vintiques 15" x 6" Chrysler original-equipment style repros. They come in satin black, which was perfect for my car, and I finished them with Dodge vented police hubcaps on the suggestion of StudeRich The Studebaker full-disc wheel covers will fit any of the above mentioned wheels, but the dog-dish caps will not hold, so be aware of that.

Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1687190Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1687191Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4501.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1687192

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Are you sure the back spacing on a stude rim is 4.25"????
        Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Clark what size tires are you running on these? I'm wanting to use something like this and run 215/75/15's with the original wheel covers on my 1964 Cruiser.

Thanks,
          Joe

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
          Here's some data that should help:

The Studebaker bolt pattern is the same as the standard 5-on-4.5" pattern used by Ford, MoPar and AMC, and many of these wheels will fit. Stock 5" Stude wheels have a 4.25" backspace, and OEM Ford & Mopar wheels with 4" backspace work just fine on a Stude.

Lots of Lincoln and Crown Vic wheels from 1990 - 1997 come 15" x 6 1/2" wide with dead on back spacing, as well as 15" x 6" wheels with a 4" back space found on Ford LTDs, Mercury Marquis or Crown Vics from 85-89.

Chrysler 15x7 M-body (Dodge Diplomat, Chrysler New Yorker) wheels will work as well; basically any RWD Chrysler Fifth Avenue or variant from Dodge or Plymouth (like the Diplomat, Fury, even Imperials).

For my car, I went to the junkyard and pulled a wheel off an '80s Diplomat for test fit, then bought brand-new Wheel Vintiques 15" x 6" Chrysler original-equipment style repros. They come in satin black, which was perfect for my car, and I finished them with Dodge vented police hubcaps on the suggestion of StudeRich The Studebaker full-disc wheel covers will fit any of the above mentioned wheels, but the dog-dish caps will not hold, so be aware of that.

Good luck!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31103[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31104[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31105[/ATTACH]
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

All mine 15 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern when measured from rear side of wheel flange to end of wheel 4.25 1963. Drum brake car cheers jimmijim
            Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
            Are you sure the back spacing on a stude rim is 4.25"????
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

SBK,

Those drilled Cop Car hub caps are worth a bundle of bucks. I have seen a pristine set of four going for $300! Even a fair condition set with the slotted steel Cop Car wheels go in the $300 for wheels and caps combined. Being a CAMO (similar to CASO) I've picked up rather dented drilled caps in the $5-$10 range and "plinked" them into decent fifteen footers.

eddienlinda,

I have the Crown Vic Cop Car wheels on my '64 Lark. 225-60-16" are kind of wide (but the spec size on the CV).
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Cop wheels front angled.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1687193Click image for larger version

Name:	Cop wheels full rear.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1687194
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

So a 4.500" inner rim width wheel has a 4.250" backspace. Can you host a picture of this measurement?
                Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Great info guys. Thank you so much. I hope to be able to post pics of the 63 Lark tomorrow evening after I get off work.

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
                    So a 4.500" inner rim width wheel has a 4.250" backspace. Can you host a picture of this measurement?
                    Here's how it SHOULD be measured...

Note that "width" is measured INSIDE the bead and backspacing is measured OUTSIDE the bead.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Backspacing: [per Tirerack.com]
                      "The measurement from wheel mounting surface to back edge of the wheel."
                      I just layed a straight edge across the back of a 5" wide Stude wheel and came up with 4.25" backspace.
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                        bought brand-new Wheel Vintiques 15" x 6" Chrysler original-equipment style repros. They come in satin black, which was perfect for my car,
                        What is the Wheel Vintiques catalog number on these, please?
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy, it's this wheel:

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Side note: apparently AMC 15" wheels work since they also have that 'odd' size Stude hub cap mtg design.
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                            X