Avanti jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti jack

What was the name brand of jack used on 63 Avanti. Picture would be great. Thanks

I would like to also see a good photo of a correct original Avanti jack. Thanks...Mike
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I asked the same question awhile back, so I'll pay it forward and post what was posted then....many thanks to whomever originally supplied the photo.

Contrary to rumors, a Corvair jack is not the same.
      And yes, I'd still like one if they're available for less than the GDP of a small nation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jack.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1687184

The jacks you often find on ebay are Avanti II jacks and again, not the same...though I was led to believe they were when I bought mine.
      Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Does that make this one totally USELESS, or just not the Correct Look?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
          I asked the same question awhile back, so I'll pay it forward and post what was posted then....many thanks to whomever originally supplied the photo.

Contrary to rumors, a Corvair jack is not the same.
          And yes, I'd still like one if they're available for less than the GDP of a small nation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31095[/ATTACH]

The jacks you often find on ebay are Avanti II jacks and again, not the same...though I was led to believe they were when I bought mine.
          The jack in the photo (original Stude Avanti jack?) is el-cheapo! The jacks supplied with Avanti II's were much more substantial.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. David

Comment

Jack?

When I first read your post I thought you were asking about somebody named "Avanti Jack".
              peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                The jack in the photo (original Stude Avanti jack?) is el-cheapo! The jacks supplied with Avanti II's were much more substantial.
                Then I'm sure someone won't mind trading a nice new Avanti II jack, in beautiful orange/red, for a "el cheapo" black Studebaker unit!

Yes, the photo is of a Studebaker-supplied jack.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

At the Gettysburg Zone Meet, the well known and highly touted Avanti judge from Florida (who will remain un-named) said to me when I showed him our very original jack, "that's not an Avanti jack". So much for knowing everything! The photo in JBOYLE's post is indeed an original 1963/64 jack. So much for flimsy jacks. I think I used mine once, NEVER EVER AGAIN. They look good for judging but that's about all. stupak

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                    At the Gettysburg Zone Meet, the well known and highly touted Avanti judge from Florida (who will remain un-named) said to me when I showed him our very original jack, "that's not an Avanti jack". So much for knowing everything! The photo in JBOYLE's post is indeed an original 1963/64 jack. So much for flimsy jacks. I think I used mine once, NEVER EVER AGAIN. They look good for judging but that's about all. stupak
                    Right!....they're strictly a 'decoration' at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                      When I first read your post I thought you were asking about somebody named "Avanti Jack".
                      Me too..
                      But Jack is/was his last name, with Avanti being his middle name.
                      His first name is always weird.

Avanti guys first names are always something like 63R sumpthin, or RQA sumpthin, or RQB somethin...
                      Most of their sentences start with that anyways
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        Me too..
                        But Jack is/was his last name, with Avanti being his middle name.
                        His first name is always weird.

Avanti guys first names are always something like 63R sumpthin, or RQA sumpthin, or RQB somethin...
                        Most of their sentences start with that anyways
                        That's Deep....DEEP!
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The original Studebaker Avanti jack looks to be constructed similar to the jacks supplied with some seventies-eighties foreign imports.....scary when one considers the frontal weight of a Studebaker Avanti compared to, say, the front of a Toyota Celica. The Altmans must have realized this and decided to go with a much sturdier (and more expensive) type Jack. The Avanti II Jack (such as the one My '83 Avanti came equipped with) would have no problem lifting the average 1/2-3/4 ton pickup truck.

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                            At the Gettysburg Zone Meet, the well known and highly touted Avanti judge from Florida (who will remain un-named) said to me when I showed him our very original jack, "that's not an Avanti jack". So much for knowing everything! stupak
                            I was at that show. That guy drove all the way to PA from FL (without his Avanti) to enjoy the show, and after arriving, got pressed into judging 63-64 Avantis by himself as the meet hosts didn't have any judges lined up beforehand. It was hot that day, he's in his late 70's, and drove a thousand miles and judged a few dozen Avantis by his lonesome. Don't be too hard on the guy.

Comment

Working...
                            X