PDA

View Full Version : January 'Turning Wheels'

SN-60
01-02-2014, 04:12 PM
The front cover photo of Dave Warrens all black '55 Commander Hardtop at the drag strip looks awesome......Congrats Dave!

warrlaw1
01-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks you very much. Bob Palma submitted that, not necessarily for the cover, but Ann Turner thought it was worthy. I haven't seen it yet :)

SN-60
01-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Dave's Studebaker Commander is the first 1955 car of any make ever entered in this event! (Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags)

fastfritz
01-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Super cover shot! You're this month's Cover Girl!! And also another great piece of reporting by Bob and Ted!!

BobPalma
01-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Dave, doggone it, you don't deserve all this anxiety. Here it is:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/jan14twcover_zpscbcea18b.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/jan14twcover_zpscbcea18b.jpg.html)

Happy New Year. BP

Studedude
01-02-2014, 08:33 PM
I was gonna do that, BP, but I was afraid I'd get spanked. <GG>

Good to see ya!

sweetolbob
01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Dave

Glad BP posted the cover as my copy has not yet arrived. Your enthusiasm throughout building the 55 for the PSMCD's was a bright spot on the forum.

Well Done and much deserved, Bob

Flashback
01-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Great shot. Congradulations. Gives me something to shoot for.

studebaker-R2-4-me
01-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Congrats Dave on making the cover. I'm waiting to see the January issue as well.

Allen

warrlaw1
01-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Wow. Nice shot, Bob. I called Corner Stone and ordered 20 copies (5 copies for my mother!). It's -30 degrees Celsius here this morning, but I'm all warm and toasty, now. Thank you.

SN-60
01-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Dave,....How's the 'Studebaker Automatic Drive' transmission holding up? Any slip at the shift points? (at WOT?) A '55 President DG-250M would have the first gear start in 'Drive'...are You starting off in 'Low' range at the dragstrip in Your Commander (to obtain first) and then manually upshifting? Thanks and Good Luck!!

warrlaw1
01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm running a DG200M with first gear start. It appears to be factory. I've had it rebuilt (twice) and it's got a good hole shot and shifts quickly into second. The shift from second to third seems to take forever and I had to learn to back off and allow the tranny to shift or it'll just keep climbing (70 MPH +) in second. I didn't have a tach (but I have bought myself one to install). That and about a hundred practice runs would have been nice. I also tried to keep my foot on the brake and rev the motor while waiting for the lights, but all that did was make the tranny start in second. So...best results were to let it idle, time the light as best you can, then kick it enough to open the secondaires. When it gets to the point in second where the power curve starts to flatten, back off, let it shift to third and then jump on it again. I imagine the tranny linkage could be adjusted up a little better, but I was happy just to get her down the track a few times and get safely back home. As Peter Sant said, nobody broke anything and everybody made it home. Success!

SN-60
01-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Dave,....Your Stude looks great with the full '55 wheel covers....but I'm kind of surprised the track officials didn't ask You to remove them before running the car....like they would have in the 'Old Days'!

BobPalma
01-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Dave,....Your Stude looks great with the full '55 wheel covers....but I'm kind of surprised the track officials didn't ask You to remove them before running the car....like they would have in the 'Old Days'!

Ed: Wheel trim is optional at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. If you have it, though, it should be correct for the car; i.e., you don't show up with 1956 Oldsmobile flipper wheel covers on your tri-power, 348 1959 Impala Sport Coupe.

All four wheels and tires must be the same size, though, and street-legal, DOT-approved.

The Technical Rules are more concerned with period-correct equipment. I. e, if someone brings a manual-transmission 1956 Chevrolet or 1958 Ford, they will have to contend with the car's original column shifter, because a floor-shift conversion would not be allowed. :):cool: BP

SN-60
01-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Ed: Wheel trim is optional at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. If you have it, though, it should be correct for the car; i.e., you don't show up with 1956 Oldsmobile flipper wheel covers on your tri-power, 348 1959 Impala Sport Coupe.

All four wheels and tires must be the same size, though, and street-legal, DOT-approved.

The Technical Rules are more concerned with period-correct equipment. I. e, if someone brings a manual-transmission 1956 Chevrolet or 1958 Ford, they will have to contend with the car's original column shifter, because a floor-shift conversion would not be allowed. :):cool: BP

So considering what the typical '55 Stude column shift linkage is like (SLOW) ....Dave is probably better off with a good automatic?

2R5
01-04-2014, 11:52 AM

I've always been surprised with that as well , I know they allow it but the reason back in the day was for safety , they didn't want to decapitate a spectator. Hope fully they won't learn the hard way .

SN-60
01-04-2014, 11:54 AM
I must say I was thinking the same thing.

BobPalma
01-04-2014, 12:23 PM
So considering what the typical '55 Stude column shift linkage is like (SLOW) ....Dave is probably better off with a good automatic?

Well, yes and no, Ed. Dave probably didn't buy the car with an eye toward drag-racing it anyway, so who knows?

Personally, I don't think late-fifties Studebaker column shift linkage is any better or worse than Ford's or Chevrolet's, and is probably better than Ma MoPar gave Plymouth; have you ever driven a late-50s Plymouth with column-shift three-speed? It really does make Studebaker's feel good.

At the Pure Stock Drags, you are running more against yourself as anyone, so it doesn't make much difference what transmission or shift arrangement you have. You'll still be paired with a car of similar capabilities, based entirely on your Qualifying Time from Friday's practice and qualifications.

Obviously, if your car's shifter mechanism is worn to the point where it is seriously unpredictable, you'd want to have it repaired beforehand so you could perform consistently at the event from run to run...witness Ted Harbit's and Peter Sant's near dead-on steadiness from run to run in The Plain Brown Wrapper (Ted) and Avanti (Peter), as recorded in the January 2014 [I]Turning Wheels 2013 Pure Stock Drags "stats." :D

(Of course, you might want to hold back a little bit for the shootouts...but not too much!) ;) BP

BobPalma
01-04-2014, 12:39 PM
I've always been surprised with that as well , I know they allow it but the reason back in the day was for safety , they didn't want to decapitate a spectator. Hope fully they won't learn the hard way .

Well, Bob; you'd think so, but it is ironic: In sixteen years of attending the event, I've never seen a piece of wheel trim come off a car...and we're talking Corvettes and Hemi cars and COPO Camaros exceeding 120 mph in the quarter-mile! In 2012, Rick Mahoney went 125.31 in his 1968 Hemi Road Runner.

In fact, the only equipment failure we've seen with horrific potential was maybe 8 to 10 years ago, when a 1968 Olds Cutlass 350 lost a driveshaft near the end of the quarter, :eek: when he was approaching maybe 90 mph.

Fortunately, his opponent was in front of him when the 'shaft launched itself across the opponent's lane and bounced off to the side of the strip without impacting anything or anybody. :ohmy:

Probably as a result of that, any cars now running 13.99 or under, must have a driveshaft safety loop. :!: BP

2R5
01-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Bob , sadly it only takes one time.
that was the 1st thing I noticed back 5 or 6 years ago when I 1st went to the drags there.

warrlaw1
01-04-2014, 02:59 PM
When I bought the car, I never intended to keep it stock. It needed everything and my good ol' boy with the garage and tools was a Mopar guy. He didn't have any interest in learning about Studebakers. First thing I did was join the club and do as I was told. I found the Shop Manual, Chassis and Body Parts catalogues, the Stude Int'l Catalogue and the Classic Enterprises catalogue. I ordered the production order, realized the car was factory correct and that any part I needed to rebuild it "stock" was already available. Then I found Paul Revell and unbelievably, his massive stash of all things good was only a mile up the road from my car! eBay supplied the wheel discs. Bob Petersen supplied a set of "Speedster" wire caps, but once I realised it could qualify for the races I started to think about weight. All four wheel discs weighed about half of what a single wire cap weighed. The radio came out and I went to speed rated DiamondBack wide whites. The Cokers I had were not speed rated. The tranny was iffy and the pump was damaged on the install. I took it back to the rebuilder and he did the entire tranny again. I told him I wasn't expecting warranty work, I would pay, but it had to be the best it could have been in 55. I have a T10 4 speed I picked up from Bob Barrick (thanks Bob), but as that wasn't available in 55, I stayed with the automatic. I could have gone TT and changed out the 331 differential, but with the first gear start and smaller tires, getting off the line was not my biggest concern. I have had the car over 100 mph so I didn't think top end would be a problem. It was everything in between...and learning how to maximize the shifts and the lock up torque converter. Still lots to learn, but next time I'll have a tach...and Turner front discs...and...

Pat Dilling
01-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Dave Congratulations again on the PSMCDR event and now again on the Turning Wheels Cover. Your willingness to put your car through its paces is great!

On the wheel cover thing, I remember back in the 70s when I took a car to the track they made me take them off. But recently I have run my 53 a half dozen times at 4 different tracks and only once did I remove my baby moons, and that was my choice, the track operators never asked me to do it. Honestly I have seen a lot more pieces of wheel trim come off on the roads and highways where there are pot holes, curbs, corners and other obstacles compared to a nice smooth track going in a straight line. Apparently the track operators feel the same way.

warrlaw1
01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
You're right, Pat. I've lost a few going around corners. I changed out a couple of wheels that I thought were flexing, spread some of the holding tabs out and put in steel valve stems until I found the four that stay on there and seem to do the job right.

candbstudebakers
01-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Dave glad you made the trip and got to race the little 55, sorry I could not have been there to see you running but the miles between here and there are a few to many to go very often. Nice to see the sheet metal going to good use, keep it up and keep in touch...Bob

AKAchamptrucking
01-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Now bring that beauty to the Meltdown Drags!

warrlaw1
01-05-2014, 09:15 AM
You were missed, Bob, but I understand how much you have on your plate. AKAchamp, my next planned trip will be the May meet in South Bend, again. Hoping to score some Turner brakes and some replacement parts. Never know when you might need a spare. cheers.

SN-60
01-05-2014, 09:24 AM
You were missed, Bob, but I understand how much you have on your plate. AKAchamp, my next planned trip will be the May meet in South Bend, again. Hoping to score some Turner brakes and some replacement parts. Never know when you might need a spare. cheers.

Dave,--It's OK to change the brake system to something better at the drags? (would hope so!)

warrlaw1
01-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Nothing about brakes mentioned in the PSMCDR rules. I asked around and everyone seemed to agree that if it's safety related, it should be OK. Not sure if there will be any weight difference with front discs. Too much grill hanging out there to risk not being able to stop :)

Kato
01-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Dave... Your car is the pride of Canada! It looks absolutely incredible in the photo. Well Done! I'll definitely be showing it to my Air Can car buddies who keep asking "why do you want a Studebaker?"

11SecAvanti
01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Power braking on the line should not force a second gear start. Especially when the lever is on "low". And shouldn't have to decelerate the throttle to shift from 2 -3. The governor should force a shift. Fix this a it will help a lot.

warrlaw1
01-05-2014, 01:45 PM
11sec, I kept in in Drive because it shifted great and quickly from first into second...and even gave a little squeal in first and second....unless I power braked and it was revving too high then it started in second. There isn't much time in first until it reaches its best speed. By the time I shifted manually I would have lost some momentum. The shift into third was the least predictable. If I kept in wide open it wanted to stay in second. Tachs are allowed and with some practice I should be in the 17's.

Hola, Kevin. Your pilot friends should take a ride in Allen's R2 Hawk, too. I'm flying to Acapulco on Sunwing on Wednesday. I'll be thinking of you and Pam and all the snow I left behind (lol). Cheers.

fastfritz
01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Maybe Dave should have taken a page out of Peter Sant's Secret Weapon Handbook and removed the front plate to take advantage of the sloping chrome nose aerodynamics!!

2R5
01-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Maybe Dave should have taken a page out of Peter Sant's Secret Weapon Handbook and removed the front plate to take advantage of the sloping chrome nose aerodynamics!!

Another good reason for that is Insurance Co here in Ontario will cancel you if they find out you have been dragging !

Dick Steinkamp
01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Congrats, Dave!

Great picture, Bob.

Dick Steinkamp
01-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Dave,--It's OK to change the brake system to something better at the drags? (would hope so!)

I wouldn't worry any about 54 and up self energizing Stude drum brakes. I ran my '54 hot rod (327 365 hp 4 speed) at South Bend in 2007. Probably 10 passes in fairly quick succession at 90- 95 MPH terminal speed. No fade. They are up to the task.

BobPalma
01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Congrats, Dave!

Great picture, Bob.

Thanks, Dick.

As I told Dave Warren earlier, I only submitted that photo to be within the Pure Stock Drags Report, for placement near the material about Dave's car.

Ann liked the photo so much she chose it for the cover and substituted one of Pekka Polvinen's photos within the article.

You never know... :D BP

Kato
01-05-2014, 10:54 PM
11sec, I kept in in Drive because it shifted great and quickly from first into second...and even gave a little squeal in first and second....unless I power braked and it was revving too high then it started in second. There isn't much time in first until it reaches its best speed. By the time I shifted manually I would have lost some momentum. The shift into third was the least predictable. If I kept in wide open it wanted to stay in second. Tachs are allowed and with some practice I should be in the 17's.

Hola, Kevin. Your pilot friends should take a ride in Allen's R2 Hawk, too. I'm flying to Acapulco on Sunwing on Wednesday. I'll be thinking of you and Pam and all the snow I left behind (lol). Cheers.

Geez Dave, now I am not only envious of your car but of your vacation too! And yes, those pilot buddies of mine would be thoroughly impressed with the acceleration of Allen's R2. It felt like a full thrust take off on a cold winter day in a jet! So impressive! Have a great time in Meyico! ( as if you would do otherwise!)

rodnutrandy
01-06-2014, 12:29 AM
I had a 1969 dart GTS with a 383 and non power drum brakes . when running thru the 1/4 mile (13.90 , 109 mph) I always had to go to 2nd turn off , I couldn't stop quick enough to make 1st turn off.