53 or 54 studebaker paint schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 or 54 studebaker paint schemes

On 53 or 54 coupe cars originally painted all white in color, what color was under the hood, aprons, firewall and trunk areas painted ? The color of the car...white or something else ? Thanks,

Under hood would be body color. There are differing opinions on the trunk color; some think it has to do with the assembly location; Vernon, CA, South Bend or Hamilton. Also, was the total trunk rustproofed or just the perimeters, etc.
    I mixed Rustoleum white and black in equal portions and it was a pretty exact match to my trunk when I bought the car in 1976; this was over a full floor rustproofing. Suffice to say, there was sufficient variation to make it difficult for a knowledgeable judge to do an unequivocal score on the trunk interior.
    In '53 and '54 the color charts show an Ivory Mist and a Sandusky Beige. Also offered for two-tone cars was a Safford Cream.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Last edited by StudeRich; 01-01-2014, 11:59 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich - I believe that your experience is too geared toward Vernon (LA), California cars.
        On South Bend, Indiana cars, the trunk area and underside of the hood were Loma Gray.
        On Vernon (LA) CA cars, the trunk area and underside of the hood were lower body color.

For 1953, Ivory Mist or Olympic Gray may come the closest to white (but still far from white).
        For 1954, Safford Cream or Sandusky Beige would be the closest to white (but still far from it).

If the original poster (Cobraman) would post his car's S/N we would know where his car was built. If he posted the color information from the tag on the bottom of the glove box or the information from his car's build sheet, we would know what color it was originally.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studegary, my car was originally Coral Red with coral red firewall and aprons. If I recall correctly I believe the trunk was gray...same as the dash. The reason for the original question is trying to decide on a new color. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Rich - I believe that your experience is too geared toward Vernon (LA), California cars.
            On South Bend, Indiana cars, the trunk area and underside of the hood were Loma Gray.
            On Vernon (LA) CA cars, the trunk area and underside of the hood were lower body color.

For 1953, Ivory Mist or Olympic Gray may come the closest to white (but still far from white).
            For 1954, Safford Cream or Sandusky Beige would be the closest to white (but still far from it).

If the original poster (Cobraman) would post his car's S/N we would know where his car was built. If he posted the color information from the tag on the bottom of the glove box or the information from his car's build sheet, we would know what color it was originally.
            On South Bend production, I go along with the trunk area being painted grey by the factory...but the underside of the hood?...definitely body color.

Comment

John Bridges' Studebaker's Finest book, at least in the section of 1953 models, agrees with Gary: "The color of the trunk compartment on South Bend cars is Loma Gray (like the interior). This is also the color of the underside of the hood. Jack parts and tire hold down parts are black. L.A. cars were painted like the lower body color." (page 130)

This said, in my limited experience I've never seen a 53 with the underside of the hood painted gray. Please notice the emphasis on "limited;" I claim no expertise in this area!
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Can't tell what the hood underside of my South Bend '53 was; it was very heavily soundproofed (undercoated).
                If you need a dead on formula for the Loma Gray, try this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loma Grey paint.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1687189
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Underside of the hood of my SB built '53 was heavy surface rust with evidence it only had a thin coat of grey primer or maybe just the loma grey. No evidence of the body color at all. Inside the trunk was all grey. Of course, the firewall and fender aprons where body color. When I got the car in 1992, it had been a "field" car since about 1961 and no evidence of a repaint, etc.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by cobraman428 View Post
                    Studegary, my car was originally Coral Red with coral red firewall and aprons. If I recall correctly I believe the trunk was gray...same as the dash. The reason for the original question is trying to decide on a new color. thanks
                    This would indicate that your car was a South Bend built car. You should paint the inner fenders and firewall the lower body color. The trunk and underside of the hood should be Loma Gray.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X