PDA

View Full Version : Deep-N-Hock Follies - January, 2014

DEEPNHOCK
01-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Studebaker Trifecta... All on 1/1/2013 !!!

Spent a good portion of the day in the shop working on some intake manifolds, and doing grunt work on 'The Black Car'..
So far today...
Smashed my thumbnail... Not real bad, but it stings and I will probably lose the end of the nail...

Burned my arm overhead MIG welding.. Dropped a blob of weld in the crook of my right arm.
Smelled the melting fleece work shirt, but wanted to finish that particular pass.
The smell changed when it got to my arm... (two inches from my last welding burn.:eek:)

Stood up in the engine bay and hit my head on the aluminum firewall.
Made the neatest little triangular cut that bloodied my head up real well.

On the bright side, at least I didn't hit my head hard enough to knock myself silly...
That is what usually happens.:rolleyes:

EssexExport
01-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Getting lucky was enough for me. :D

studebaker-R2-4-me
01-01-2014, 10:30 PM
I got out to the shop today for a few hours as well, only got a cut up knuckle installing a cotter pin on the steering drag link when my hand slipped and hit the engine dampner. Bleed out real well and thought WHY don't I have bandages out in the shop,... because I have paper towel and black electrical tape.

Allen

garyash
01-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Jeff, didn't anyone ever tell you not to weld while wearing polyester or other synthetic fabrics? They ignite and melt onto your skin making terrible burns. Fleece just burns and melts faster. Cotton isn't good but at least it doesn't melt (and flame-retardant treated welding jackets are available cheap), wool is OK. Leather sleeves are much better. Treat yourself to a late Christmas present and save the skin.

I did learn the hard way not to weld while wearing "boat shoes" and no socks. And, I always wear some kind of hat while working to reduce the number of cuts to my head. My old skin tears a lot easier now, so I also try to wear mechanic's gloves as much as possible.

Take care, and happy new year.

2R5
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Jeff, didn't anyone ever tell you not to weld while wearing polyester or other synthetic fabrics? They ignite and melt onto your skin making terrible burns. Fleece just burns and melts faster. Cotton isn't good but at least it doesn't melt (and flame-retardant treated welding jackets are available cheap), wool is OK. Leather sleeves are much better. Treat yourself to a late Christmas present and save the skin.

I did learn the hard way not to weld while wearing "boat shoes" and no socks. And, I always wear some kind of hat while working to reduce the number of cuts to my head. My old skin tears a lot easier now, so I also try to wear mechanic's gloves as much as possible.

Our Elders are so wise ! <g>

sweetolbob
01-02-2014, 10:39 AM
It's all good!!!:)

First, you now remember what you shouldn't do in the shop

And secondly, you're back in the shop.

Welcome to my world, CRS and all!!;) Of course, at +4 degrees here my memory is slipping about what to do in the shop too so I can envy the warmer temps you have.

Bob

DEEPNHOCK
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Our Elders are so wise ! <g>

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by garyash http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?p=809689#post809689)

Yeah, I know....
Watch it with the 'elder' wise cracks....
I am past straddling that electrical fence:whome:
I do have a pair of long gloves that go to the elbow, but didn't grab them.
Also have a leather apron that is handy...if it gets put on...:oops:
Did have a hat on, but had to take it off to put on the welding helmet.
Backed into the aluminum firewall with the helmet on...hence the new divot.
Maybe a Kevlar welding beanie?:!:

Anyways... Here's a pic of the retro gas pedal that's going into 'The Black Car'
Still need to fab some stuff up for it, but that'll come soon enough...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1953%20Stude%20Drag%20Car%20-%20Throttle%20Linkage%20Project/IMG_5264_zpsf3e7e743.jpg

2R5
01-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Jeff its nice of you to consider your my elder.....made my day ! <g>

Pat Dilling
01-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the reminders! And good on ya for not giving up due to injury!