PDA

View Full Version : Late 1962 289 full flow - for sale craigs list - LA

Bullet
12-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Not mine, but I checked into it. Here is the link for the ad. I know that in Nov he had it listed for $800 but has dropped it to $500, will go lower, I am sure. Runs. Here is the link for the ad:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/4202065639.html

here is the pictures he sent me and the Youtube.com video of it running.

http://youtu.be/O8CpvP3j2AA

http://youtu.be/WcraivRvzq4

Mark

Flashback
12-31-2013, 05:46 PM
That's 570 heads. What year did thy change to 2 bolt valve covers? Looks like a deal for someone close???

StudeRich
12-31-2013, 06:06 PM
It appears to be a Full Flow 289 Engine, it would definitely be a keeper.

And it definitely is a 1962, that had a 289 Crank when new per it's Serial Number.

The valve covers have been changed, the non-breather Cap, Right side, early '62, Cover has been drilled for 4 Studs and Nuts.
The left side breather type valve cover has been changed in the Video from the one in the Pics.

(The non-breather Covers changed to the New style 2 Bolt type in mid 1960, the Oil Caps were added in late '62 with the full flow block.)

It is running a Chrysler Alternator and fiberglass "Flex" Engine Fan.

It makes you wonder if the funky "Pipe" coming from the right side lower part of the block is coming from an Avanti Oil Pan? :confused:

The Engine appears to be in a Ford? Truck, with hydraulic Clutch, different M/C in Video vs. Pic.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31040&d=1388526186

Skybolt
12-31-2013, 06:46 PM
I have been looking it to it and was emailing with Andrew a few weeks ago and again last night and this morning. It appears to be an okay engine but I would have to see it before I made any move on it.

1962larksedan
12-31-2013, 07:26 PM
I think someone bought that motor; the CL ad has been deleted by its author.

StudeRich
12-31-2013, 08:35 PM
I think someone bought that motor; the CL ad has been deleted by its author.

Only since the time that this post became active! Hmm?

Maybe we sold one, we should get a finder's fee! :ohmy:

Skybolt
12-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Yes, but sometimes it hinders someone else in the middle of trying to negotiate a deal.

sals54
12-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Well, ya snooze, ya looze. Sometimes ya just gotta pull the trigger fast and take your chances.
For example: just today, I stopped to look at a little Toyota Pickup. I need a shop truck and this one was pretty ugly, but I figured a little work just might make this a runner. The guy called me back to say, "I want $350 for it. No negotiation, cuz I can get that much for it from the tow company for scrap." So, I did the deal. Turned out, after purchase, I put a little gas in it, jumped the battery and wudya know, I drove it home. The thing runs like a top. Who knows why he sold it so cheap, but the gamble paid off big for me. Now I've got a cheap shop truck that I can sell for 5 times what I paid when I'm done with it.
I've been telling these stories here on this forum for many years and still people gripe when someone steals a deal out from under them cuz they were thinking about it too much. Ya gotta get, while the gettins good. Pull the dang trigger when you see a good deal. Why would anyone be "negotiating" on a running, 289 full flow engine for $500 anyway. That is a steal for $500. 289 cranks often sell for $350 just by themselves.

Skybolt
01-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Sorry to waste your time.

Bullet
01-01-2014, 01:09 AM
I posted this ad for Andrew after I decided to pass on it. Everyone has the option to look and find things. I see CL ads in here all the time and appreciate them. Like Sal said, if you don't move fast enough then you miss out. Yes it was a good deal, no I did not have the money to jump on it....so passed. I felt my loss someone else's gain. I hope you did get it Skybolt. My intent was not to sabotage any deal, only to help the seller by giving some more coverage, same thing I would want if selling, agreed not want I would want if buying.

Mark

p.s. I was told that the engine was in an old Willy's Jeep. Not even a Studebaker.

Flashback
01-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Coulda been a R. Negotiating on hard to find parts has it's problems. Trying not to pay "more than something is worth", can come back to haunt you. Question is: what's it worth to "YOU" ? If I am buying to use, it's worth more to me, than buying to try to resale. What's your value on "FUN" LOL

SN-60
01-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Nice to be able to actually hear it run!

sals54
01-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Sorry to waste your time.
Hey Skybolt… I'm not tryin to hurt anyones feelings. I'm just trying to teach. $500 is a great deal for a running full flow 289. I just don't know why someone would be negotiating beyond that price and taking a chance that someone else might snipe it out from under them. Thats all.
Good luck in the future.
But when a good deal comes across your path… snatch it up. Then come onto the forum and BRAG the heck out of it. Its what car guys do.