50's Missing Hood Ornament "Mystery" May Be Solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50's Missing Hood Ornament "Mystery" May Be Solved

A recently discovered family picture of my '53 Studebird shows a hood ornament very similar, if not identical, to the '55 Chevy ornament. The Chevy was a jet plane with small vertical upward protrusion near end of each wing. The problem is that the mounting holes on Chevy are 4"x8" while the holes on my car are 4"x10". My ornament was lost in rechroming process. While I can find no Stude ornaments very close in appearance to Chevy I cannot account for the measurement disparity. And my father-in-law who did the custom work 50 years ago thinks that the ornament was a Stude. Any illuminating thoughts from forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Tim in Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Wasn't there a web site posted here a year or so ago that showed pictures of most of the 40's and 50's hood ornaments used by the major manufacturers?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Wasn't there a web site posted here a year or so ago that showed pictures of most of the 40's and 50's hood ornaments used by the major manufacturers?
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I hope you find what you're looking for, but remember that there were about a BAJILLION aftermarket hood ornaments available from JC Whitney Co and the like - that were original to NO car in particular.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I hope you find what you're looking for, but remember that there were about a BAJILLION aftermarket hood ornaments available from JC Whitney Co and the like - that were original to NO car in particular.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tim- For visual reference, try these two websites:
            www.lepoix.de then click on their 'car/automobilia' link.
            www.taillightking.com then click on their 'hood ornaments' link & also be sure to go to the very bottom of this page where they have many photos posted for reference.
            You may simply want to run a web search and see what may turn up. Good luck with your hunt.

Christof Kheim
            ---studesnbldr
            christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
            Christof Kheim
            ---studesnbldr
            ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

Tim- For visual reference, try these two websites:
              www.lepoix.de then click on their 'car/automobilia' link.
              www.taillightking.com then click on their 'hood ornaments' link & also be sure to go to the very bottom of this page where they have many photos posted for reference.
              You may simply want to run a web search and see what may turn up. Good luck with your hunt.

Christof Kheim
              ---studesnbldr
              christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
              Christof Kheim
              ---studesnbldr
              ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

Have a look at the 1951 under What year and model. The 51 S hood ornament looks like a 55 C.

Paul

Comment

Have a look at the 1951 under What year and model. The 51 S hood ornament looks like a 55 C.

Paul

Comment

Thanks, Paul. While the '51 Stude hood ornament does resemble the '55 Chevy, it is not the one. Maybe my father-in-law and his brother even customized the hood ornament to fit the hood of my '53 Studebird. They shortened the cab, put on a Chevy truck roof, greatly enlarged the trunk to hold removable roof when driving in local parades, customized rear fins, added a Continental kit, cut off lower center part of hood because of collision damage, relaced damaged Stude grill with Ford grill. Why they used what appears to be a Chevy hood ornament I don't know. Car is obviously a Stude with T-Bird profile.

Tim in Yuma, AZ

Comment

Thanks, Paul. While the '51 Stude hood ornament does resemble the '55 Chevy, it is not the one. Maybe my father-in-law and his brother even customized the hood ornament to fit the hood of my '53 Studebird. They shortened the cab, put on a Chevy truck roof, greatly enlarged the trunk to hold removable roof when driving in local parades, customized rear fins, added a Continental kit, cut off lower center part of hood because of collision damage, relaced damaged Stude grill with Ford grill. Why they used what appears to be a Chevy hood ornament I don't know. Car is obviously a Stude with T-Bird profile.

Tim in Yuma, AZ

Comment

This sure looks like the holes might be 10 x 4.

From a '54 Land Cruiser, tho most of the other models had the same one without the "gold" on the "spear".

John

Comment

This sure looks like the holes might be 10 x 4.

From a '54 Land Cruiser, tho most of the other models had the same one without the "gold" on the "spear".

John

Comment

The gold on these various ornaments was reserved for the Land Cruisers in 53 & 54 and later, the 55 President models - not JUST the President State.

BTW, I looked at the taillight king's site, and it confirms what I've said about these all-make sites. Accuracy isn't a strong point with them. There's goofs and mis-information amongst what they show for Studebakers.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

The gold on these various ornaments was reserved for the Land Cruisers in 53 & 54 and later, the 55 President models - not JUST the President State.

BTW, I looked at the taillight king's site, and it confirms what I've said about these all-make sites. Accuracy isn't a strong point with them. There's goofs and mis-information amongst what they show for Studebakers.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X