Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Build that elusive C/K Roadster in Four Easy Steps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Build that elusive C/K Roadster in Four Easy Steps.

Building Studebaker Roadsters out of C/K cars seems to be a hot topic of late. Today, I spent less than half an hour creating one myself.

Step One: Find the C/K Studebaker of your dreams. In this case, a rare and highly sought after '61 Hawk.

Step Two: Using precise measuring, lay out exactly where you want the cuts to take place. Then, ignore that and proceed to butcher the roof pillars with your favorite Reciprocating Saw. A sledge hammer and chisel may be utilized in order to break free any remaining metal that the saw can't reach. Ignore any wiring or upholstery. (Who needs it? Come on. We're building a hot rod, for cryin' out loud.)

Step Three: After CAREFULLY cutting through the A, B, and C pillars at the precise locations (or, wherever you feel like cutting), remove the roof. (Note: C body owners, now is the time to slice and dice the door frame in order to achieve the sleek look you're after).

Please be extra cautious regarding Step Three. You don't want to scuff the paint on the roof.

Step Four: Load up your favorite companion and cruise around, taking full advantage of your extensively thought out and well done custom Studebaker Roadster.

The next How To will focus on building a similar (yet completely different! crazier! wilder!) '49 Commander four door touring car. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by mbstude; 12-27-2013, 04:47 PM.

Watch out for that Junk Yard Dog!!
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Hey!Some folks would call that a "RAT ROD" and try to sell it for big bucks...
      Tony

Comment

The only worries with that menacing dog is making sure you have enough snacks around. She might High Five you.

And, good news! This lovely one of a kind custom could be yours for only 8 cents a pound!

Comment

Matthew, where was you when I was cleaning up my salvage yard? LOL

Comment

sals54

Comment

.....and make sure to keep your tetanus shot up to date!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Matt!
                That would have buffed out!!!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

An Avanti would have cut up much easier!
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ooh, oh, ouch! Somewhere, someplace, an Avanti owner and their pride was just seriously wounded!!

You know there's alot of weight savings by removing the roof, fenders, trunk, hood, frame, wheels, and engine. There's enough snow up here still that it could be now useful as either a roadster or if that doesn't work, a toboggan!
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

WE hope to follow your build on this project with interest!
                      But just a note or personal observation......you could have saved a ton of money if you would have started with a better car! And used a K instead of a C.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Why didn't you take off the valueable parts off before cutting it up? jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jimmijim's '55 President hardtop is in the shop. Maybe that would make a better roadster candidate?

.....Just kidding, Jim!

On a serious note.. Trust me, nothing usable at all will be cut up and scrapped. But with nearly 30 Studebaker parts cars sitting in the yard, lots of them with no good parts left, it's time to clean up a bit. I thought I'd post some of the cleanup process here for some lighthearted fun.

Comment

Matthew...
                            Is there anything decent on that roof section?
                            Or the doors?
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              But don't try cutting it with a torch...
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X