Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the amperage of the thermal fuse used in the cigarette lighter of a 1964 Wagonaire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: What is the amperage of the thermal fuse used in the cigarette lighter of a 1964 Wagonaire?

(edanna97) What is the amperage of the thermal fuse used in the cigarette lighter of a 1964 Wagonaire? I'm replacing the cigarette lighter in my 1964 Wagonaire with a new aftermarket one that matches the original very well. I've had a problem with the NOS thermal fuses on the old lighter not lasting very long, sometimes bad right out of the NOS paper container. I'd like to replace the thermal fuse with a glass cartridge fuse on the new lighter but I can't find what the amperage was on that old thermal fuse? The shop manual just lists it as a 'safety fuse' without giving any amperage rating. With the other fuses topping out at 15 AMPS I'm thinking it would have be around 20 AMPS for an electric lighter? But that is just a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess.) Does anyone out there in Studebaker land really know what amperage it should be? Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all in advance! Sincerely, Ed

I do not think that info is available, why not just try a 15, if it blows go to 20?

Those tiny Hex shaped "Nut" style Thermal Fuses have always been short lived, AND where could you quickly find one when you need it, so you can charge your Cellphone? You are doing the right thing by eliminating it.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dear Rich, I used a 20 AMP today and it worked fine, I will take your advice and try a 15 AMP fuse and see if it blows. I guess the 15 AMP will offer quicker protection as long as it doesn't blow instantly. The thermal fuse I had on the lighter blew and the NOS replacement I bought as a backup didn't work right out of the packet. Hopefully this inline glass, cartridge, fuse will last longer. It certainly will be a lot easier to replace when needed. Thanks! Ed

Comment

I removed the thermal fuse and wired in a 10 amp fuse. It will never get used as a cigarette lighter, at least not while I own the car but it's handy for my GPS and cel charger.

Comment

GPS......what... no Rand McNally map ?? ....went into Staples last month and saw behind the registers the new Rand McNally road atlas..... I think I paid $8-9. Young gal at the register said it was the 1st map she'd rung up in over 2 years working there.....

Comment

I still use road maps and atlases, keep a Rand Mc Nally in each of my vehicles. I like to double check the route to my destination and sometimes I need to see the whole picture, can't do that on a 4" TFT display. I've actually been misled by my GPS a few times!

Comment

Always rely on a paper map for planning and guiding trips. Someone described how to use a GPS for trip plans - I'll stick w/ paper.
              Paul TK

Comment

if using a paper map, make sure that it's at least from this century!

when i went to New Jersey from NC to pick up the '40 a few years ago, i programmed the GPS in my Denali for the "shortest route". i wound up off I-95 somewhere south of DC on a snow/ice covered 2 lane road. duh!

i got back on I-95 and used the printed out map from Mapquest or Google Maps (don't recall) i had, and no problem. on the way back, i reprogrammed the GPS to "fastest route", double checked the paper map, and had no problems. (other than paying exorbitant tolls north of Virginia).

re: the OT - a inline fuse of 15 amps (probably less) should be more than enough to power your phone/GPS. add a little extra wire length tucked away from view to make it easier to replace to go to a bit higher amperage, if needed. most of us ol' farts have done the same with adding a 8-Track tape player or a aftermarket radio.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                X