1963 Avanti Still Turning Heads 50 Years Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Avanti Still Turning Heads 50 Years Later

SF Gate article about Studebaker Automotive shutting down 50 years ago this month. "People that aren't even interested in cars turn their heads to look at it."

1963 Avanti still turning heads 50 years later.

www.theavanti.net

Last edited by rgallatin; 12-22-2013, 07:22 AM.

I remember the first one I saw as a kid. I was smitten. Still am.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
      Well said..my story exactly. Which is why I have one.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I remember them new in 1963 and the memory stuck which is why I had to have one - they are even better in person!

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
          I remember them new in 1963 and the memory stuck which is why I had to have one - they are even better in person!

The Avanti has to be seen in person to experience the full effect of its "coke bottle" contours. I have yet to see any photographs that completely capture its appeal.

Comment

The first one I saw was a gold R2 four speed....and the Studebaker dealer who had the car was not afraid to put on a show with it any time he could.....Great memories!!

Comment

Richard,I have too agree with You on this - though I've seen a few pics that show the curves very nicely,and Your shot hits the mark
              Originally posted by rgallatin View Post

The Avanti has to be seen in person to experience the full effect of its "coke bottle" contours. I have yet to see any photographs that completely capture its appeal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30771[/ATTACH]
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

For many years I drove a custom '82 (most obvious mod being color-matched 'glass '84-85 bumpers). Because it was my daily driver I'd sometimes forget how unique it really was (I always had at least one or two '63s in the garage, as well). BUT, every now and then someone would remind me... while stopped for gas, in the grocery store parking lot, at work. Indeed, driving an Avanti, especially on a regular basis, is an interesting experience... certainly!

Comment

I'd like to get a ride in one one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                    For many years I drove a custom '82 (most obvious mod being color-matched 'glass '84-85 bumpers). Because it was my daily driver I'd sometimes forget how unique it really was (I always had at least one or two '63s in the garage, as well). BUT, every now and then someone would remind me... while stopped for gas, in the grocery store parking lot, at work. Indeed, driving an Avanti, especially on a regular basis, is an interesting experience... certainly!
                    I live that every day......Yes, VERY interesting experiences......If You like to chat with people, drive an AVANTI!!!

Comment

Hey!...that's my story!
                      Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Twice smitten here. My first introduction was a picture shown to me by a classmate, Brian Kovac, whose dad owned the Studebaker dealership in town. I spoke with Brian 3 days ago & we reminisced of those Studebaker days, the days his dad worked after Kaiser had called it quits. Not relating to the subject but Brian's mom passed away last week, 5 days after she turned 98. Our condolences go out to Brian & his sister for their loss.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
                          I'd like to get a ride in one one of these days.
                          I recommend the driver's seat over shotgun, definintely!

Comment

Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
                            SF Gate article about Studebaker Automotive shutting down 50 years ago this month. "People that aren't even interested in cars turn their heads to look at it."

1963 Avanti still turning heads 50 years later.

www.theavanti.net

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30733[/ATTACH]
                            The exact same article ran yesterday in "The Courier-Journal", in Louisville Kentucky.

Comment

Ditto for me also. I was 15 when I first saw pictures and was also smitten. I owned and restored many cars over the years but never an Avanti. Finally all the stars lined up last year and I bought mine. I don't usually keep my projects once they are finished because I find restoring them is my passion. But the Avanti is different. I've had 2 offers to purchase it but I just can't sell this car. I've waited 50 years for one and the "lust" is still there. Merry Christmas everyone. I might have to take her out for a drive to celebrate. Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X