Rare (Avanti) Bird!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare (Avanti) Bird!

This 1972 Avanti II is something else.... Originally ordered by a Massachusetts doctor, He drove it until a minor problem occured with it. He then parked it in his garage for years. My friend Rico bought it a few years back...gave it the TLC it needed, and here it is...Why do I call it a rare bird?...because it's one of the very few Altman Avantis built with a T-10 four speed transmission!
    Proudly shown at the SDC Ocean Bay Chapter 'Octoberfest'. (Check out the license plate....Get it?)
    Attached Files

So, where is the picture of the 4sp shifter??

Comment

I remember reading about this in the AOAI magazine. The only thing that would make that car any better would be the following;
      A. California license plates (although I love the ones she sports now!)
      B. my name on the registration!

I thought it was a real find when I read the article, believe that even more now.

As for your friend Rico, here's wishing many years & miles of pleasure enjoying her.

Ken

Comment

Looks good, certainly is clean.

Comment

It looks as if those are knock-off wire wheels. I didn't know they available then.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            So, where is the picture of the 4sp shifter??
            ???????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
              It looks as if those are knock-off wire wheels. I didn't know they available then.
              Paul, those are Borannis, made in Italy and if my feeble mind is correct, were available into the mid 70's. Daytons were available by the early 70's and were available in both bolt on and knock-off.

While the Daytons were really good wheels, if you can get Borannis in good shape with good splines on both the hubs and the adaptors, they are slightly better. The downside to the Borannis is those very splines, if they are not greased when the wheel is removed, the splines wear out. A lot of nouveu rich would have cars with these and get the detailer to clean out the grease so it wouldn't work its way out the spoke holes in the hub. A pity really.

Comment

I believe 1974 was the last year that the Altman's offered the four speed option, but Blake made a few five speed jobs later on. ('83-'84)

Comment

For what it's worth, one can still get new Daytons... in stainless and chrome, custom-made, and at a reasonable price for what they are. Borranis... not so much.

Comment

The 4-speed option was discontinued due to low sales and the cost of complying with EPA regulations. It simply wasn't cost-effective to spend money to comply when orders for manual transmissions was all but non-existent.
                    Last edited by Gunslinger; 12-22-2013, 05:01 PM.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I like the looks of that green one better.

It's the 'right' color, and has the 'right' wheels...

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                        I like the looks of that green one better.

It's the 'right' color, and has the 'right' wheels...

StudeDave '57

Let's see if old SN-60 can dig up some pictures of that Avanti for You Dave!

Comment

Sir,
                          You state it is rare due to the four speed trans...........since you took these pictures, one wonders where the shots of the interior are??
                          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          ???????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                            Sir,
                            You state it is rare due to the four speed trans...........since you took these pictures, one wonders where the shots of the interior are??
                            OK, boil Me in used Studebaker motor oil.....I do not have a picture of the beautful white leather interior in this Avanti. But I want to assure You that if I say this Avanti has a four speed transmission, IT HAS A FOUR SPEED TRANSMISSION!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              OK, boil Me in used Studebaker motor oil.....I do not have a picture of the beautful white leather interior in this Avanti. But I want to assure You that if I say this Avanti has a four speed transmission, IT HAS A FOUR SPEED TRANSMISSION!!!!!!!
                              Ed

Just tell 'em to picture a Hurst Competition Shift lever and knob in the normal shifter position of an Avanti II. Doesn't take a lot of visualization skill.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X