PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Commander Starliner Upholstery Tag - Interpretation Anyone?

northern
12-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Found this attached by a hog ring to the underside of the front seat, passenger side. Thought someone might be interested in seeing it.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2488/gg00.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/gg00.jpg/)

Some of the information seems obvious. Operator - LC. Inspector - 1. The date looks to be 11-9-53. That probably is November 9 or could it be September 11? Not sure which date format they used back then.

And what does the 306814 x 4 signify? Does the next line mean that the upholstery material was a mix of cloth and vinyl? Or did the installer forget to check either cloth or vinyl on the tag?

stude dude
12-22-2013, 03:08 AM
I have some N.O.S. 1953-54 leather covers with similar tags on them.

The penciled in '4' after the part number is the color code.

You will need to talk to someone like Will Sander who has the big upholstery part number catalog that only the parts depots used.

Chris.

Skip Lackie
12-22-2013, 08:50 AM
306814x4 is the part number of that piece. X4 designates the color, which was different for each year. I haven't checked my parts book to see if that item is listed. But Studebaker assigned part numbers to many interior parts that were not listed in the parts book, as most were usually not stocked in the parts dept after production ended. However, SI has a card file of those obscure part numbers, as their predecessor companies still had some of those items (mostly 59-66) left over from production.

Flashback
12-22-2013, 09:57 AM
I have some N.O.S. 1953-54 leather covers with similar tags on them.

The penciled in '4' after the part number is the color code.

You will need to talk to someone like Will Sander who has the big upholstery part number catalog that only the parts depots used.

Chris.
I have some tags off my original seats. (53 coupe) They are like the on pictured. I will try to post pic.
I have a nos seat cushion cover for the front in scarlet red. The tag on it is fabric. Anyone have the frt seat back covers or any rear seat in scarlet red for sale?