When it rains it pours 53 hardtops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it rains it pours 53 hardtops

Today I picked up my 3rd 53 hardtop in the past month, this one has the original engine and transmission also power-steering. This car has been sitting in a parking garage carport for a long time so all the chrome is pitted rather bad but the interior is rather nice for the age even the headliner and the steering wheel has little or no cracks 99% rust free floors and trunk have the weather seal, the trunk lid and hood are near perfect, dash is complete with radio and even the key, the guy I got it from got it from an estate and spent some time and said he got it running but idles bad so still needs some more work, my guess the gas tank and brakes will need work, it will be for sale after I clean it some and spend some time with it, he is a picture or two,

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

I think I'm coming down with a case of California envy.

Comment

Wow! that looks very solid. I see it's an early 53 with the Tri-star emblems. I hope Mercedes Benz doesn't force you to remove them!

Nice find. What are your plans for the car?
      \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
      Jim Mann
      Victoria, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
        Wow! that looks very solid. I see it's an early 53 with the Tri-star emblems.
        I wonder how 'early' is early. Could it have been early enough to be equipped with one of the mechanical power steering setups??

Craig

Comment

My mum told me she's probably wanting a '53-'55 Commander or Champion and probably a hard top. She wants it in next-to-new or excellent condition as well.
          www.spannerbird.com
          Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

A credit for the single backup lamp option on the back of the trunk! Most folks these days want both of them, or none at all. That single backup lamp says that, yes, people could and did only want one backup lamp on those cars, and Studebaker would oblige to install only one lamp!
            Coincidentally, these days, that's how we ended up having so many of one backup lamp housing, and so few of the other!
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post

Nice find. What are your plans for the car?
              Read Bob's original post.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Once again fellas. ALL (as in every one) of the Vernon-built 53s went out the door with the Tri-star emblems. And since this coupe has a REAL GOOD chance of having started life as a California car, it likewise has a real good chance at having been built with Tri-star emblems. Read the parts books - take heed of the notes regarding the Tri-star emblems. My LATE-built 53 Comm. Coupe has Tri-stars on it's original hood and deck lid.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                  Once again fellas. ALL (as in every one) of the Vernon-built 53s went out the door with the Tri-star emblems. And since this coupe has a REAL GOOD chance of having started life as a California car, it likewise has a real good chance at having been built with Tri-star emblems. Read the parts books - take heed of the notes regarding the Tri-star emblems. My LATE-built 53 Comm. Coupe has Tri-stars on it's original hood and deck lid.
                  Thanks for this post Bob K. I have gotten tired of posting this same information here on the Forum. I do not know if people do not read or do not remember.

The car is also unusual in that it has Nylon cloth seat upholstery. Vinyl interior was a no cost option on 1953 Regal Starliners. Most/all 1953 Starliners that I have owned or seen had vinyl interiors plus a couple with leather interiors. Maybe the cloth was a hot weather area choice.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Always neat to spot the subtile little differences between the various Studebaker models.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                      And since this coupe has a REAL GOOD chance of having started life as a California car, it likewise has a real good chance at having been built with Tri-star emblems.
                      All we need is the serial number to confirm that. So far, Bob has not posted it as of yet.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X