R2 Avanti..OR IS IT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Avanti..OR IS IT?

I always do a double take when I eyeball the engine of My friend Tom's Avanti. Someone did a REALLY NICE JOB of R2-izing a small block Chevy. (327 I believe) This is a really nice '63 Stude Avanti....Disc brakes all around, stainless exhaust, improved gauges,....a REAL head turner, displayed at the Ocean Bay Chapter 'Octoberfest'!
    Attached Files

Wanted to mention that Tom's Avanti may be a transition model ...or a '64 ordered with round lights......The body tag # is RQ 3759...what do You folks think?

Comment

What's the serial number? That would determine whether it's a transition model or simply a '63 with '64 trim retrofitted.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

A Chevy motor in a Studebaker?
        Maybe we ought to call it an "Avanti I.5"?
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          What's the serial number? That would determine whether it's a transition model or simply a '63 with '64 trim retrofitted.
          I haven't the slightest idea on the serial....when I see Tom again I'll ask. Big discussion on Avanti body numbers in latest AOAI Magazine though!

Comment

I believe that when Studebaker changed the Avanti body tags from '63-RQ' to just 'RQ' it indicated a '64 model.....Didn't it?

Comment

I believe from past discussions that body number is not a reliable indicator as Studebaker simply used whatever body was available in the desired color. Besides...the '63 I used to own (R4341) has a body number of RQ-3011...I have the build sheet in front of me. It was written on April 25, 1963...definitely a '63 model year car.

I would believe that body numbers were a somewhat reliable indicator only at the very beginning of production. Once they started getting further along in production the divergence in body numbers to serial numbers got larger and larger.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                I believe from past discussions that body number is not a reliable indicator as Studebaker simply used whatever body was available in the desired color. Besides...the '63 I used to own (R4341) has a body number of RQ-3011...I have the build sheet in front of me. It was written on April 25, 1963...definitely a '63 model year car.

I would believe that body numbers were a somewhat reliable indicator only at the very beginning of production. Once they started getting further along in production the divergence in body numbers to serial numbers got larger and larger.
                Understood......that makes sense.

Comment

A really nice car. I am not up on Avanti's, so I want to ask a stupid question. Is the heading: R2 AVANTI..OR IS IT?, refering to the chevy engine? I am right in asuming there were no 63 and 64 cars with chevy engines?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                    A really nice car. I am not up on Avanti's, so I want to ask a stupid question. Is the heading: R2 AVANTI..OR IS IT?, refering to the chevy engine? I am right in asuming there were no 63 and 64 cars with chevy engines?
                    Yes, that's what I meant. It's like ..Hey..an R2 Studebaker V8!....Wait a second...THAT'S NOT A STUDEBAKER V8!!

Comment

It's a much cleaner supercharger installation than Avanti Motors did in the later '60s when they built a blown Avanti II. The hump for supercharger clearance they installed on that car's hood ruined the lines of the car.

Comment

Working...
                      X