Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Back-Up Lights Question & Request

Hello,

I need to get some information on a couple of back-up lights that I recently purchased. I knew that the glass lenses were used for the 1950-52 years. What baffles me is that the chrome bases are different as indicated in the pictures below. One has a base that has a curve more noticeable than the other one. Were they mounted in a different location on the rear fender for different years? What was the reason? Am I right to assume that these lenses were only used from 1950-52? I know that the rear fenders are the same for all three years.

Lastly, would anyone happen to have a spare base that is appropriate for the 1951 LC?

Last edited by 61LaRk4dr; 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

These were never mounted on the fenders. They were on the panel between the fender and deck lid. All three years used the same panel so, I can only assume one of your light housings has been filed to fit a different application. I have never been infallible so someone please correct me. I may still have old housings but they would need to be sent to the platers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC180072.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1686952Click image for larger version

Name:	PC180073.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1686953Click image for larger version

Name:	PC180074.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1686954
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      These were never mounted on the fenders. They were on the panel between the fender and deck lid. All three years used the same panel so, I can only assume one of your light housings has been filed to fit a different application. I have never been infallible so someone please correct me. I may still have old housings but they would need to be sent to the platers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30632[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30633[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30634[/ATTACH]
      Yeah, I went and checked out your theory and sure enough there were grind marks along the perimeter. Too bad to, because that one was in mint shape. Oh well, I still have the lens at least.
      1947 Studebaker M-5
      1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

These lights came optional as either one or two lights. You can just install one and still have it be stock.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          These lights came optional as either one or two lights. You can just install one and still have it be stock.
          My Land Cruiser only has one backup light. I suspect that most of the backup lights, of the era, were dealer installed. Having two, was mainly an issue of symmetry. In the early days, they only worked when the light switch was on. It was later that they became standard and were wired to work anytime the car was in reverse, to indicate as a signal to others, that the car was backing up.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My '50 Land Cruiser has one back up light but that's because the Land Cruiser script is on the passenger's side where the passenger side light would go on the '50. I ordered the build sheet from SNM. No backup light ordered. My guess is it was dealer installed.

Name:	100_0009.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1686964

Comment

My 51 LC came with 2 BU lights which appeared to be factory installed. However, the curve of the housings didn't quite fit the curve of the body so I decided to move them up about 3/4" to achieve a better, but not perfect, fit to the body. This involved a drill, a rasp and some trial and error.

Does your car already have the holes for the BU lights or would you need to drill them? I have a spare BU light housing but it's pitted and needs to be re-chromed. Let me know if you're interested in it.

Cheers,

Jim
              \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
              Jim Mann
              Victoria, B.C.
              Canada

Comment

Dan Smith has the templates to properly locate the mounting.

I believe the set I currently have on my '51 will quickly be available as I have another set re-chromed. Brian will have first choice.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  Dan Smith has the templates to properly locate the mounting.

I believe the set I currently have on my '51 will quickly be available as I have another set re-chromed. Brian will have first choice.
                  Sent PM to your inbox inquiring about price.
                  1947 Studebaker M-5
                  1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

In the words of Sheriff Buford T. Justice, "Sumbish!"
                    One of the two housings I received show chromed was also ground down at the top.

Name:	PC200072.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1686979

Maybe it will match the one you already have maligned. I suspect it would fit if mounted lower on the panel.
                    Therefore, I have one unmolested NOS unit available that has been mounted on the vehicle for just over a decade.

Name:	PC190072_zpsaadcedba.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1686980 A lesson to us all! Procuring pretty may be a waste if it is not correct.

Brian, I have just been fired from my employer of 39 years so you can have one of the NOS housings for $3700. Or... we can PM a lesser deal! I'm getting too old to quibble. 'Tis the season for giving. "God Bless Us, Everyone."
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm probably a little late, but there are Left and Right versions of these backup lamps. They are molded to fit the contour of the trunk to where they will be installed. People make the mistake that they're both the same, and in doing so, might file down the housing to fit the trunk!
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

John,
                        '53 and later mount on the deck lid and are left/right exclusive. Earlier models mounted between the lid and fender and are not exclusive.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Name:	feb2011 008.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1687009OK, these are not the original lights and they are not in the original location, but I like them better. I wanted back-up lights but was not a real fan of how Studebaker did it in 51. The units came from a 67 GTO and fit perfectly into the panel we placed them. I believe they are sideways from how they fit in the GTO bumper. Go ahead and chastise me if you like but IMMAMC.
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Original BU lights were not the least bit subtle.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X