S. I. Feature in the South Bend Trib.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S. I. Feature in the South Bend Trib.

SOUTH BEND -- Ed Reynolds remembers his father, a former Studebaker engineer, selling his Cruiser in 1964 after the automaker ended production here.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

That's cool to see. I noticed that a tribune reporter came in the other day to take photos, didn't stay too long though. I figured the day was coming. Way back in the day the tribune featured what was going on at Newman & Altman, and I remember in the early 2000s they had a story on SASCO.
    Reading some of Ed's responses to questions in the article made me think and chuckle a little. Without a doubt, the Studebaker business is big business, and he keeps me busy. Kind of a neat position to be in from my perspective.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris, thank Ed for the reference to Australia, nice to see.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thanks Chris for the link. Nice article on Ed, and SO true are the comments that Bob Halgren mentioned.

Thanks to Ed also for stepping up back in 2009

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Great outfit to do business with. Sooo happy they are there!
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nice article. Your good job continues Ed.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Chris,
              It looks as if you still have a job for the new year, doesn't it? I hope Santa is good to all of you carrying on the Studebaker Parts Supply business!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                Chris,
                It looks as if you still have a job for the new year, doesn't it? I hope Santa is good to all of you carrying on the Studebaker Parts Supply business!
                Yup, I'm still there and in today's world I'm glad for that. Looking back now I can't believe how fast time has flown by and how long I've been there. It all started when I was a freshman in high school in 2009. The winter of '09 was the heart of the SASCO/SI move and during my Christmas break I was determined to help. So I just showed up one day with Jim Maxey, introduced myself to Ed and seeing that since I didn't drive yet I had nowhere to go, I started taking stainless trim off the racks and putting it on carts to be sent over to Chippewa. I think I'm probably the only employee at SI that never formally got hired, I just started. No interview, no resume, just started working and I was happy as a Lark to be there. Back then since I wasn't formally hired, and was 16 with no state work permit, I wasn't on the payroll; so that's how I ended up with the Turtle. Once we got established at the Chippewa Plant Ed kept me around and put me on the payroll and I've been there ever since. I can't believe 2014 will mark 5 years that we've been at Chippewa, to me it doesn't feel like it's been that long. How's that for a story?!
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Well, as the rest of us know, the years just seem to fly by.

Well done and have a great life.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

SASCO had some non-Studebaker parts in inventory, also. The Monroe air shocks for my 1973 F--- Gran Torino wagon were purchased there. It was so interesting touring the place it was hard to leave. We are fortunate that the inventory has been preserved.
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Yes, nice place to do business with.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                        Once we got established at the Chippewa Plant Ed kept me around and put me on the payroll and I've been there ever since. I can't believe 2014 will mark 5 years that we've been at Chippewa, to me it doesn't feel like it's been that long. How's that for a story?!
                        Even if you get hired as a firefighter full time in the area, keep working at SASCO on a part-time basis on Saturdays, or whatever your day-off is going to be. That 'beer money' sure comes in handy once in a while!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X