• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Ed Drives.... (Count The Studes)

How many do you see?

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I'm surprised there were so many non-Studes in a show sponsored by Studebaker.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I could not keep count,but did notice the 64 Super hawk "full package?" in the end parked curb side.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        I'm surprised there were so many non-Studes in a show sponsored by Studebaker.
        Few shows were as stupid as "Bewitched" where EVERY car was a Chevy.

Notice in this clip where the camera points straight ahead that all the cars seen were from the mid-late 30s. Stock film from some other film....
        Finally, is the truck a Studebaker?
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The actor who appears at the end of the video is Leon Ames, who owned a Ford dealership in Studio City (Gossett-Ames Ford), then opened a new facility in Encino (Leon Ames Ford).

Leon Ames' daughter was married to Ralph Williams, who was the GM at Encino. Ames got tired of his actor friends being screwed by Ralph and his minions, so the Encino dealership was renamed Ralph Willams Ford circa 1963.

The panel truck is an International.
          Last edited by WinM1895; 12-18-2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
            Few shows were as stupid as "Bewitched" where EVERY car was a Chevy.

Notice in this clip where the camera points straight ahead that all the cars seen were from the mid-late 30s. Stock film from some other film....
            Finally, is the truck a Studebaker?
            What I noticed...

Some stock footage used hence the 30's-40's cars only in some scenes. I don't think today, producers could get by using stock footage as "old" as this. I guess the sophistication of the 1963-1964 television viewer wasn't what it is today. A lot of programs from this era used footage that was clearly an anachronism.

In the traffic scene where the Daytona hardtop passes by, an oval "Air Conditioned by Studebaker" decal is visible in the back window.

In the long shot where the Daytona and Mr. Ed's van pulls up to the stop sign, there is no one in the passenger seat of the Daytona. Cut to the "studio" shot of the driver saying he doesn't feel well, his wife is in the passenger seat.

I am sure these scenes were filmed right around, and in some instances, probably on, the lot of General Services Studios which was the home of most Filmways television programs.

One of my favorite Mr. Ed episodes...

Mr. Bill
            Hamlet, NC
            Last edited by Mr. Bill; 12-18-2013, 07:56 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Yeah, I put that video on youtube, they cut out that stude parts on tv land

Comment

If I were smarter, I could'a/would'a/should'a have done a quick search first

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                Yeah, I put that video on youtube, they cut out that stude parts on tv land

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...64-Studebakers
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That's ok. Just glad that people can enjoy the clip here.

Here's one that came up in a google search, it says...
                  "Mister Ed" episode 'Ed the Beneficiary', which for unknown reasons has entered the public domain. This episode aired January 21, 1962 and was the fourteenth episode of the second season
                  You can watch it and even download it.
                  There's a 62 skytop hardtop at the beginning I went over it quick but didn't notice any other Studes.
                  Too bad there's no commercials.

Mister Ed episode 'Ed the Beneficiary', which for unknown reasons has entered the public domain. The show was about a Man who was friends with a talking...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bill View Post
                    What I noticed...

Some stock footage used hence the 30's-40's cars only in some scenes.

Mr. Bill
                    Hamlet, NC
                    The scene with the steep hill looks like something from a Three Stooges short.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I counted about 6 Studes, including 2 across the street from the police officer. I'm sure there were more, but I was enjoying the video, er film.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

There seem to be an awful lot of 50s and 60s TV shows and movies that featured Ford and only Ford vehicles. However, Pontiac did sponsor one TV show during the 60s do you know which one it was???
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Looks like they filmed some of that on Ventura Blvd and the surrounding suburban streets. I was a little worried when Ed made a crazy left turn in front of the motorcycle cop and then the cop took off up the street Ed just turned off of. Then, the cop did not seem to be traveling down the same streets Ed was on. How he ever caught up with Ed is a mystery.
                          My family used to watch this show every week and I honestly can't remember ever noticing any of the Studebakers other than the ones in the Studebaker ads. I guess since we owned nothing bus Studebakers it did not seem odd to me to see them on TV.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                            There seem to be an awful lot of 50s and 60s TV shows and movies that featured Ford and only Ford vehicles. However, Pontiac did sponsor one TV show during the 60s do you know which one it was???
                            Yeh, I remember Broderick Crawford in "California Highway Patrol" always drove a Ford. I remember his mid-fifties vintage cars rocking and rolling down the highway. It also bounced a lot whenever he drove it off the pavement on to the dusty California road shoulder.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                              Yeh, I remember Broderick Crawford in "California Highway Patrol" always drove a Ford.

I remember his mid-fifties vintage cars rocking and rolling down the highway. It also bounced a lot whenever he drove it off the pavement on to the dusty California road shoulder.
                              Hmmm...this is not what I recall.

In the first season of "Highway Patrol" .. Chief Dan Mathews (Broderick Crawford) drove a 1954 Oldsmobile 88 2 door sedan.

In the second season, he drove a 1955 Buick Special 2 door sedan.

These were the same cars that the CHP drove. My dad, who was an Olds dealer in Los Angeles, had the CHP contract for 1954.

btw: The steepest street in Los Angeles is Fargo Street, it has a 33% grade. Laurel & Hardy, The Three Stooges and many other films were shot there.

I believe this is the same street that Mr. Ed is driving down.
                              Last edited by WinM1895; 12-19-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X