PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Ed Drives.... (Count The Studes)

DEEPNHOCK
12-18-2013, 10:11 PM
How many do you see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqUzO_1S0w4

rockne10
12-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm surprised there were so many non-Studes in a show sponsored by Studebaker.

63t-cab
12-18-2013, 10:33 PM
I could not keep count,but did notice the 64 Super hawk "full package?" in the end parked curb side.

JBOYLE
12-18-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm surprised there were so many non-Studes in a show sponsored by Studebaker.

Few shows were as stupid as "Bewitched" where EVERY car was a Chevy.

Notice in this clip where the camera points straight ahead that all the cars seen were from the mid-late 30s. Stock film from some other film....
Finally, is the truck a Studebaker?

WinM1895
12-18-2013, 10:48 PM
The actor who appears at the end of the video is Leon Ames, who owned a Ford dealership in Studio City (Gossett-Ames Ford), then opened a new facility in Encino (Leon Ames Ford).

Leon Ames' daughter was married to Ralph Williams, who was the GM at Encino. Ames got tired of his actor friends being screwed by Ralph and his minions, so the Encino dealership was renamed Ralph Willams Ford circa 1963.

The panel truck is an International.

Mr. Bill
12-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Few shows were as stupid as "Bewitched" where EVERY car was a Chevy.

Notice in this clip where the camera points straight ahead that all the cars seen were from the mid-late 30s. Stock film from some other film....
Finally, is the truck a Studebaker?

What I noticed...

Some stock footage used hence the 30's-40's cars only in some scenes. I don't think today, producers could get by using stock footage as "old" as this. I guess the sophistication of the 1963-1964 television viewer wasn't what it is today. A lot of programs from this era used footage that was clearly an anachronism.

In the traffic scene where the Daytona hardtop passes by, an oval "Air Conditioned by Studebaker" decal is visible in the back window.

In the long shot where the Daytona and Mr. Ed's van pulls up to the stop sign, there is no one in the passenger seat of the Daytona. Cut to the "studio" shot of the driver saying he doesn't feel well, his wife is in the passenger seat.

I am sure these scenes were filmed right around, and in some instances, probably on, the lot of General Services Studios which was the home of most Filmways television programs.

One of my favorite Mr. Ed episodes...

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC

Bordeaux Daytona
12-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I put that video on youtube, they cut out that stude parts on tv land

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?70866-Mister-Ed-Drives-quot-Ed-the-Chauffeur-quot-With-1964-Studebakers

DEEPNHOCK
12-19-2013, 09:10 AM
If I were smarter, I could'a/would'a/should'a have done a quick search first:oops:

Yeah, I put that video on youtube, they cut out that stude parts on tv land

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?70866-Mister-Ed-Drives-quot-Ed-the-Chauffeur-quot-With-1964-Studebakers

Bordeaux Daytona
12-19-2013, 09:30 AM
That's ok. Just glad that people can enjoy the clip here.

Here's one that came up in a google search, it says...
"Mister Ed" episode 'Ed the Beneficiary', which for unknown reasons has entered the public domain. This episode aired January 21, 1962 and was the fourteenth episode of the second season

You can watch it and even download it.
There's a 62 skytop hardtop at the beginning:woot: I went over it quick but didn't notice any other Studes.
Too bad there's no commercials.

https://archive.org/details/Ed_the_Beneficiary

Dwain G.
12-19-2013, 11:55 AM
What I noticed...

Some stock footage used hence the 30's-40's cars only in some scenes.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC
The scene with the steep hill looks like something from a Three Stooges short.

raprice
12-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I counted about 6 Studes, including 2 across the street from the police officer. I'm sure there were more, but I was enjoying the video, er film.
Rog

Dan White
12-19-2013, 01:36 PM
There seem to be an awful lot of 50s and 60s TV shows and movies that featured Ford and only Ford vehicles. However, Pontiac did sponsor one TV show during the 60s do you know which one it was???

Commander Eddie
12-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Looks like they filmed some of that on Ventura Blvd and the surrounding suburban streets. I was a little worried when Ed made a crazy left turn in front of the motorcycle cop and then the cop took off up the street Ed just turned off of. Then, the cop did not seem to be traveling down the same streets Ed was on. How he ever caught up with Ed is a mystery.
My family used to watch this show every week and I honestly can't remember ever noticing any of the Studebakers other than the ones in the Studebaker ads. I guess since we owned nothing bus Studebakers it did not seem odd to me to see them on TV.

Commander Eddie
12-19-2013, 01:53 PM
There seem to be an awful lot of 50s and 60s TV shows and movies that featured Ford and only Ford vehicles. However, Pontiac did sponsor one TV show during the 60s do you know which one it was???

Yeh, I remember Broderick Crawford in "California Highway Patrol" always drove a Ford. I remember his mid-fifties vintage cars rocking and rolling down the highway. It also bounced a lot whenever he drove it off the pavement on to the dusty California road shoulder.

WinM1895
12-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Yeh, I remember Broderick Crawford in "California Highway Patrol" always drove a Ford. :confused:

I remember his mid-fifties vintage cars rocking and rolling down the highway. It also bounced a lot whenever he drove it off the pavement on to the dusty California road shoulder.Hmmm...this is not what I recall.

In the first season of "Highway Patrol" .. Chief Dan Mathews (Broderick Crawford) drove a 1954 Oldsmobile 88 2 door sedan.

In the second season, he drove a 1955 Buick Special 2 door sedan.

These were the same cars that the CHP drove. My dad, who was an Olds dealer in Los Angeles, had the CHP contract for 1954.

btw: The steepest street in Los Angeles is Fargo Street, it has a 33% grade. Laurel & Hardy, The Three Stooges and many other films were shot there.

I believe this is the same street that Mr. Ed is driving down.

Dan White
12-19-2013, 04:01 PM
You can catch 2 episodes of Highway Patrol every morning on THIS from 5am - 6 am EST

Commander Eddie
12-19-2013, 04:08 PM
WinM1995 - I guess I need to check out the re-runs of Higway Patrol. I thought I was remembering correctly that he drove Fords. It would be fun to check them out anyway. My memory is obviously not what it used to be.
B-T-W, when I was acting in Hollywood I used to drive my gold 1955 Commander to the studio every day. It did not attract nearly the attention it would today.

Corvanti
12-19-2013, 05:25 PM
re: "Highway Patrol" - our local cable company just picked up "THIS" in the past week or so. i've DVR'd this weeks episodes. so far i've seen Broderick Crawford (Dan Mathews/"2150") drive Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Mercurys and a "undercover" Ford. most of the "bad guys" drive Dodges, Plymouths or DeSotos... i've seen a couple Studebakers parked on the side of the streets. cool show to see lots of old cars, and a blast from the past - i used to watch the reruns in the late 60's when i got home from school!:)

sorry for going OT.

JBOYLE
12-19-2013, 06:10 PM
However, Pontiac did sponsor one TV show during the 60s do you know which one it was???

Pontiac vehicles were featured in I Dream of Jeanne and My Three Sons, and of course the Dean Jeffries modified Monkeemobile.

Ford didn't have any sort of a monopoly on TV cars....The late 60s and 70s saw a lot of MOPAR cars in shows....almost anything made by Paramount and Universal. Marcus Welby drove a Chrysler (a 300, then a Newport), Mannix drove various Plymouths beginning in season two (he drove a Barris modified Toronado in season one), The Brady Bunch, Medical Center, later seasons of The Mod Squad had a Challenger, ...all drove MOPARS. Films used them too, The Vanishing Point being the most famous well as Steven Speilberg's first film, the TV movie Duel. Even Maxwell Smart ditched this Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger for a Karmann Ghia when VW sponsored that show. He also had a Opel GT sold by Buick for awhile.

What's odd, the most famous car show of the late 60s, did not use "product placement " cars. Adam 12 used whatever the LAPD was using at the time, although in later seasons Martin Milner's character bought an AMC Matador coupe when they were driving a AMC squad car. But reference is made in a couple of episodes about it going into the shop, so that doesn't sound like product placement.

JBOYLE
12-20-2013, 05:18 AM
WinM1995 - I guess I need to check out the re-runs of Higway Patrol. I thought I was remembering correctly that he drove Fords.

I don't know a lot about Highway Patrol, I didn't watch it much (I was too busy watching Whirlybirds) but I do know that the Buick is the best-known car among the several used. A few years ago in AutoWeek, there was a story about a guy who built a replica TV car. http://www.autoweek.com/article/20050425/free/504250703
Here's a piece from Motor Trend.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/archive/112_9706_1955_buick_highway_patrol_car/

Corvanti
12-20-2013, 04:03 PM
thanks for the article links!:)

before William Boyette, Stuart Whitman was Broderick Crawford's usual "2nd banana": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Whitman

yeah, the Buicks are the remembered "main" vehicle for "2150". the 3 porthole Century, and later the 4 porthole Super...

alaipairod
12-20-2013, 10:04 PM
We have to start doing a DVR on TVLAND, I'm positive a whole load of Studes will be in the background in every one of the retro episodes broadcast.
I remember a bunch of Studes shown on Route 66.........

Bordeaux Daytona
02-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Here's a bunch of Mister Ed episodes that somebody put on Youtube. They have the whole chauffeur episode. I haven't viewed the others but a couple had "Automobiles provided by Studebaker" at the end. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sheelheart99/search?query=mister

sochocki
02-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I know My Three Sons featured Pontiacs, and also I Dream of Jeannie.

clonelark
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Century's were 4 holers, the Specials were 3 holers in 1955.

http://i61.tinypic.com/qyakxl.jpg

Bordeaux Daytona
04-07-2015, 11:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LLjHIjxA1c

More complete version on youtube of Mr Ed the Chauffer has "Automobiles furnished by Studebaker Corporation" at the end:)

More videos of Mr Ed
https://www.youtube.com/user/Ddyracer2/videos

skyway
04-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Is this last one set in Andy Taylor's Mayberry living room?
Sure looks like his fireplace.

Scott
04-07-2015, 04:14 PM
I'd say "I Dream of Jeannie".

scott.rodgers
04-07-2015, 07:10 PM
I thought that the only show that Studebaker sponsored was Mr. Ed, but Studebaker also sponsored The Twilight Zone for one season! I haven't watched them in a while but I think it was the fourth season with the seldom seen hour-long episodes. I have the box set of DVDs and I remember it including a few "Sponsored by Studebaker" short clips. I seem to remember a '63 Cruiser in the beginning of one episode, but that's the only Studebaker I ever remember seeing.

cruiser
04-08-2015, 03:51 AM
" SKYWAY " mentions ' Andy Taylor's living room ' , which of course is " The Andy Griffith Show " .

Does everyone who's olde enough remember the episode where Andy's " Aunt Bea " gets a new

car and it is a 1966 STUDEBAKER ! Then , real life imitating fiction , she kept the car as her

own personal transportation . I'd love to see that episode again .

CRUISER

skyway
04-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Don't mean to be sacrilegious here, but I never did understand her getting rid of the 55/56 Ford convertible.

t walgamuth
04-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Truck looks like a 37 International....nice front end.

6hk71400
04-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Going way way back there was a series called "The Littlest Hobo" about a dog (that saved the day) that featured Studebaker cars. It did have Noah Berry in it, who was Jim Garner's dad in the Rockford Files. It surfaced on a local station in Phoenix (KPHO) in the afternoon in the sixties.