This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Heating

Getting close to deciding on how I'm going to heat the new garage. My attached garage had a 20foot radiant natural gas heater that was ok but I noticed quite a bit of hot spots. I still have the heater in storage, but am concerned about it doing a decent job on my new, bigger garage. I am having spray in insulation applied to make the building airtight (I do have an exhaust fan mounted). I spent all last night digging a 2 foot deep trench 85 feet long to run electricity from the house to the garage. Regulation require a separate trench be dug to run natural gas [xx(] . So, having said that I am interested in hearing what you guys are using for your garage. Some of my options are:
    Using my existing radiant heater. I've been quoted about $1300 to have run the gas line (if I dig the trench) and have it installed.
    Convert the radiant to propane (if possible) and have a tank next to the garage
    Electric heat
    Wood or wood/corn pellet stove

Opinions?
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

My only problem with this heater is than I can't find the 'OFF' switch during July and August...[]

While I was still in Michigan, I was looking at a small, overhead, gas furnice. I think they run under $1000. I remember these type units being near the check out lines in the local grocery stores when I was growing up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

My only problem with this heater is than I can't find the 'OFF' switch during July and August...[]

While I was still in Michigan, I was looking at a small, overhead, gas furnice. I think they run under $1000. I remember these type units being near the check out lines in the local grocery stores when I was growing up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Modine Hot Dawg info with application data and installation instructions:

While you have that trench open for the electrical stuff, be sure to put in a gray PVC pipe (1" or 1-1/2") for phone wires, TV/computer cable, intercom, whatever. Always leave a piece of string in it so you can pull the "next greatest thing" into the conduit as times change. You may want fiber optics in a few years, LOL.

My garage project a few years ago - the original Garaj Mahal: http://www.studegarage.com/garage.htm

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Modine Hot Dawg info with application data and installation instructions:

While you have that trench open for the electrical stuff, be sure to put in a gray PVC pipe (1" or 1-1/2") for phone wires, TV/computer cable, intercom, whatever. Always leave a piece of string in it so you can pull the "next greatest thing" into the conduit as times change. You may want fiber optics in a few years, LOL.

My garage project a few years ago - the original Garaj Mahal: http://www.studegarage.com/garage.htm

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I was actually looking at the industrial type similar to the unit Gary has pictured. I had websites for different heating companies before the move, but between changing ISP's and the realization I don't need to heat the garage now, I didn't save the listings. Gary's info is right on the money. Especially in making sure the pvc pipe has room to add things as time goes on. Continued good luck.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I was actually looking at the industrial type similar to the unit Gary has pictured. I had websites for different heating companies before the move, but between changing ISP's and the realization I don't need to heat the garage now, I didn't save the listings. Gary's info is right on the money. Especially in making sure the pvc pipe has room to add things as time goes on. Continued good luck.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

If you have wood available for free you might consider a wood-burning furnace, one with a combustion blower and air circulating blower. They burn wood very cleanly with virtually no smoke. I found a used one that was originally in a basement running in series with a gas furnace. They are avaiable new also for $500-600. My use is in an uninsulated 30x50' steel pole barn, so of course it never gets super warm in there in the winter. But running the furnace makes is livable out there. A problem with running gas lines in most locations is that you then have to get a building permit and have it inspected by a picky-picky guy. Propane is a lot more expensive to use than natural gas.

Jerry Buck
                Racine, Wisconsin
                '53 Champion Coupe - C (owned since 1956)
                '61 Lark VI Convertible

Comment

If you have wood available for free you might consider a wood-burning furnace, one with a combustion blower and air circulating blower. They burn wood very cleanly with virtually no smoke. I found a used one that was originally in a basement running in series with a gas furnace. They are avaiable new also for $500-600. My use is in an uninsulated 30x50' steel pole barn, so of course it never gets super warm in there in the winter. But running the furnace makes is livable out there. A problem with running gas lines in most locations is that you then have to get a building permit and have it inspected by a picky-picky guy. Propane is a lot more expensive to use than natural gas.

Jerry Buck
                  Racine, Wisconsin
                  '53 Champion Coupe - C (owned since 1956)
                  '61 Lark VI Convertible

Comment

Hey Gary,
                    How big is your propane tank? Does a full tank last all winter? There's a really cool store here in Canada called "Princess Auto" that sells a propane furnace just like that "Hot Dawg" furnace. It's about CDN $700. I may go with one of those.

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Hey Gary,
                      How big is your propane tank? Does a full tank last all winter? There's a really cool store here in Canada called "Princess Auto" that sells a propane furnace just like that "Hot Dawg" furnace. It's about CDN $700. I may go with one of those.

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by tstclr

Getting close to deciding on how I'm going to heat the new garage. My attached garage had a 20foot radiant natural gas heater that was ok but I noticed quite a bit of hot spots.

And what did I say before about having that radiant tubing installed?? There's no hot spots with that way with 12" centers.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by tstclr

Getting close to deciding on how I'm going to heat the new garage. My attached garage had a 20foot radiant natural gas heater that was ok but I noticed quite a bit of hot spots.

And what did I say before about having that radiant tubing installed?? There's no hot spots with that way with 12" centers.

Comment

My 6 car garage was but by my homes pervious owner...he is a car guy so he built the garage first and lived in a doublewide while he built the house.

Be bought a used ceiling mounted gas heater-blowed and had it rebuilt. It only cost a couple of hundred dollars that way.
                            I keep the garage "cold" in the winter..about 45 degrees. It's enough to keep the cars in good shape.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My 6 car garage was but by my homes pervious owner...he is a car guy so he built the garage first and lived in a doublewide while he built the house.

Be bought a used ceiling mounted gas heater-blowed and had it rebuilt. It only cost a couple of hundred dollars that way.
                              I keep the garage "cold" in the winter..about 45 degrees. It's enough to keep the cars in good shape.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X