PDA

View Full Version : Birthday of the PBW

R3 challenger
12-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Today, December 12th, is the 50th birthday of the Plain Brown Wrapper. It makes me pause and reflect on all the enjoyment our Studebakers have brought us for so many years. Just over one week after the Wrapper was made, the South Bend factory closed. Most of our Studebakers are now over 50 years old, some quite a bit older, and it's been a great ride (pun intended). I plan to celebrate by eating some (or most) of a birthday cake. It's a good excuse. <G> 'Think I'll top off the cake with candles that read "50".

Let's do this every 50 years, OK?

George

Commander Eddie
12-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Sounds good to me. I have one Studebaker that is almost 64 and another that is almost 53. And I'm older than both of them. YIKES!

DEEPNHOCK
12-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Too bad Pabich Motor's building in Roselle (IL) is gone now...
My Dad's Hawk came from there, too........

R3 challenger
12-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Sorry to hear the Pabich Motors building is gone, Jeff. George Pabich ordered the PBW's R3 from Paxton Products for me in November of '64. The Pabich building was quite old back in the early '60s when I used to hang out there.

George

DEEPNHOCK
12-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Sorry to hear the Pabich Motors building is gone, Jeff. George Pabich ordered the PBW's R3 from Paxton Products for me in November of '63. The Pabich building was quite old back in the early '60s when I used to hang out there.
George

Yessir! In 1920, it was a hoppin' place, what with the ice cream parlor next door (Pre-date's Shirl's by a few decades:whome:)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/PabichMotorsRoselleIL_zps4c5832dd.jpg

Green53
12-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Better have some ice cream with that cake George.

Denny L

SN-60
12-12-2013, 07:57 PM
today, december 12th, is the 50th birthday of the plain brown wrapper. It makes me pause and reflect on all the enjoyment our studebakers have brought us for so many years. Just over one week after the wrapper was made, the south bend factory closed. Most of our studebakers are now over 50 years old, some quite a bit older, and it's been a great ride (pun intended). I plan to celebrate by eating some (or most) of a birthday cake. It's a good excuse. <g> 'think i'll top off the cake with candles that read "50".

Let's do this every 50 years, ok?

George

Happy Birthday PBW!!!

R3 challenger
12-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Yessir! In 1920, it was a hoppin' place, what with the ice cream parlor next door (Pre-date's Shirl's by a few decades:whome:)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/PabichMotorsRoselleIL_zps4c5832dd.jpg

Wow, cool photo, Jeff. It looks pretty familiar except by the time I got there, the street (Irving Park Road) was paved.
Thanks,

George

PS Denny, the ice cream is ready...get here quick before it melts.

Bill Pressler
12-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Pretty cool, George. I know that Fred Fox's GT turned 50 on Dec. 10, and my friend Ed Davies' '64 convertible turned 50 on Nov. 27--only five days after JFK was assassinated and one day before Thanksgiving. I kid him that all the workers were in a hurry to get home for the long weekend. ;)

Our Ohio Region SDC chapter's newsletter, Larry Sherer, owns a '64 Hawk (I'm pretty sure, though not positive, that it's no. 64V-20170) that will turn 50 on Dec. 20--the last day the regular assembly lines operated in South Bend.

Roscomacaw
12-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Happy Birthday PBW!!! George, you and Ted and that car have served as inspiration for many. Sure, let's celebrate again in 2063.

R3 challenger
12-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Interesting, Bill. Anyone else have or know of a South Bend Studebaker made on December 20, 1963 (besides the museum '64 R1 Daytona HT, that is)? How about a birthday party on December 20th at the museum for that Daytona? Of course, production orders for all 1964 Avantis from R-5626 through the last one, R-5643, listed December 26th as the Final Assembly date. Immediately before that, 10 Avanti POs had the Final Assembly Date of 11/6. All that doesn't add up, but that's another story.

George

Bill Pressler
12-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Interesting, Bill. Anyone else have or know of a South Bend Studebaker made on December 20, 1963 (besides the museum '64 R1 Daytona HT, that is)? How about a birthday party on December 20th at the museum for that Daytona? Of course, production orders for all 1964 Avantis from R-5626 through the last one, R-5643, listed December 26th as the Final Assembly date. Immediately before that, 10 Avanti POs had the Final Assembly Date of 11/6. All that doesn't add up, but that's another story.

George

I found out for Larry on a visit to the SNM Archives several years back, that his car was built on the last day. I knew the serial number was high and the paperwork documented it.

I've mentioned this here before, but maybe eight or nine years ago I was in a TGI Friday's restaurant with my older daughter Kelsey, and I was wearing a SNM sweatshirt. A handsome older gentleman approached me and said he was a Notre Dame grad and had worked at the NBC affiliate in South Bend when Studebaker shut down, and in fact had snuck into the plant and got 'spy film' of the last car coming down the line. I had read that someone had done that, but I'd never seen the person identified. This fellow was not a Stude buff by any chance but did say he got back to the occasional Notre Dame football game. He said the Chicago affiliate sent the South Bend NBC station a tiny camera. He said that on the day before the final day, he offered an employee ten bucks for his employee badge and had gone a couple days without shaving. He did get a photo of the last car down the line and the film was sent by courier to Chicago; from there it was used on the Huntley-Brinkley news that night. He seemed surprised that I knew anything about that story. I later asked him to speak at an Ohio Region SDC meet, which he graciously did. I'll have to send him an email on the 50th anniversary to remind him--hopefully he still has the same email address.

hawk58man
12-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Happy 50th birthday PBR, and may you have 50 more....

Warren Webb
12-12-2013, 11:54 PM
I've mentioned this here before, but maybe eight or nine years ago I was in a TGI Friday's restaurant with my older daughter Kelsey, and I was wearing a SNM sweatshirt. A handsome older gentleman approached me and said he was a Notre Dame grad and had worked at the NBC affiliate in South Bend when Studebaker shut down, and in fact had snuck into the plant and got 'spy film' of the last car coming down the line. I had read that someone had done that, but I'd never seen the person identified. This fellow was not a Stude buff by any chance but did say he got back to the occasion Notre Dame football game. He said the Chicago affiliate sent the South Bend NBC station a tiny camera. He said that on the day before the final day, he offered an employee ten bucks for his employee badge and had gone a couple days without shaving. He did get a photo of the last car down the line and the film was sent by courier to Chicago; from there it was used on the Huntley-Brinkley news that night. He seemed surprised that I knew anything about that story. I later asked him to speak at an Ohio Region SDC meet, which he graciously did. I'll have to send him an email on the 50th anniversary to remind him--hopefully he still has the same email address.

It would be nice to have a copy of that film sent to the museum. They could copy it & offer it for sale along with other items. I for one would like to see it. I remember a segment on the Today show about the last Packard built. Of course it was black & white tv at the time but the car appeared to be black. Anyone know of what happened to it?

Bill Pressler
12-13-2013, 10:17 AM
It would be nice to have a copy of that film sent to the museum. They could copy it & offer it for sale along with other items. I for one would like to see it. I remember a segment on the Today show about the last Packard built. Of course it was black & white tv at the time but the car appeared to be black. Anyone know of what happened to it?

I had asked Andy Beckman about it in passing several years ago. He said he thought he had seen it...it was grainy and not the best quality if I remember correctly. I'd love to see it. Somewhere I did see a photo of the last Daytona HT that's in the SNM now, being loaded onto a transport truck before Studebaker decided to keep it. I haven't been able to find that footage lately.

Bill Pressler
12-13-2013, 10:19 AM
George, Mary Anne Hanson and husband Jerry own Avanti R-5634, in beautiful condition--a gold R1 with Powershift, A/C, and power windows. Its build date shows as 12/26/63.

R3 challenger
12-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Bill. The 12-26-63 completion date for the last batch of 1964 Avantis was found on at least 18 or 19 production orders. I suspect that not all of them were completed on that day, since that would have meant at least twice as many '64 Avantis as usual were made in one day. It's likely that many in that group were complete or nearly complete and someone came along and wrote in that date to finish up the paperwork. But that's just speculation on my part...I think I'll do a little more research on that.

George

Blue 15G
12-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I'd be interested to know if anyone knows the present existence of any Studebaker built on December 9, 1963, the announcement date of the impending shutdown.

Dave Bonn
'54 Champion Starliner

Roscomacaw
12-13-2013, 06:56 PM
I'd dearly love to see that film footage - grainy or not!

4thtolast
12-13-2013, 07:40 PM
I am in the process of restoring R5640. Build sheet shows 11/01/63

clonelark
12-13-2013, 08:49 PM
My 3 64 engines are V 325, V 326 and PK 317

R3 challenger
12-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Good question, Dave. One possible question is did the Studebaker employees do better work before they found out on December 9th that they were losing their jobs? The Plain Brown Wrapper was made three days after that announcement and it still has its original paint and interior in very good condition. Judging from that, I'd say they did a nice job anyway. The Museum Daytona HT is also an original car and it looks very nice. If any other original paint/interior cars made on December 9th or later are still around, it would be interesting to hear from their owners about this.

George

I'd be interested to know if anyone knows the present existence of any Studebaker built on December 9, 1963, the announcement date of the impending shutdown.

Dave Bonn
'54 Champion Starliner

Roscomacaw
12-13-2013, 09:27 PM
I know you said it in jest, George - but when you stop to think about it - NONE of us having this thread discussion will BE HERE for your car's centennial. Where WILL the PBW be in 2063??? How will any "enthusiasts" of the marque regard it or other Studebakers? Of course, the way things are going - the whole planet could be a museum by 2063.

8E45E
12-13-2013, 09:29 PM
How about TRUCKS produced on the last day, 12/27/63 (exc. Zip Vans)?

This one is the sixth unit from the end.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3008/2637251303_ea5dfd7c88_b.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3153/2637256799_65e1771859_b.jpg

Craig

R3 challenger
12-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Really nice, Craig, beautiful. Is that a recent photo?

George

sals54
12-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Happy Birthday PBW ! ! ! Many happy returns…. from the finish line, that is. With a win, of course.

GThawkwind
12-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Funny enough I just my latest Muscle car review and saw the most bad#ss little car to ever were brown paint.:D Hapy Birthday PBW!

8E45E
12-14-2013, 03:18 AM
Really nice, Craig, beautiful. Is that a recent photo?

That truck is now owned by James Bell, and looks exactly as shown, and can be seen in one of the photos StudeRich took in 2010 here:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?44492-Studebaker-Diner-amp-Musem-Open-House-Bellingham-WA

I took this photo in 1999 in Rapid City when it was owned by Dean Olsen.

Here is a photo of it two years later at a zone meet:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3131/2638830854_09f9c37864_b.jpg

Craig

studegary
12-14-2013, 01:53 PM
I am in the process of restoring R5640. Build sheet shows 11/01/63

That (11/01/63) looks to me to be an order date or planned ship date, rather than the actual listed build date. If the Avanti is truly 5640, I believe that the build date should show 12/26/63.

Bill Pressler
12-14-2013, 02:07 PM
That (11/01/63) looks to me to be an order date or planned ship date, rather than the actual listed build date. If the Avanti is truly 5640, I believe that the build date should show 12/26/63.

I agree, Gary.

I love seeing those big, late-model-year Stude trucks! So rare! I loved how the Dec. '63 TW had the color pic on the cover of the very last Studebaker truck (other than military and/or maybe Zip-Vans) built in South Bend, on 12/27--a light blue Transtar, I believe one-ton, that was a Government service vehicle if I remember correctly. What a great pic.

Does anybody know if Zip-Vans were assembled in South Bend? I know the bodies were made in Lansdale, PA. I've seen a pic or two of new Zip-Vans near the Administration Building in South Bend. I've never figured that out.

8E45E
12-14-2013, 02:21 PM
I agree, Gary.

I love seeing those big, late-model-year Stude trucks! So rare! I loved how the Dec. '63 TW had the color pic on the cover of the very last Studebaker truck (other than military and/or maybe Zip-Vans) built in South Bend, on 12/27--a light blue Transtar, I believe one-ton, that was a Government service vehicle if I remember correctly. What a great pic.

Does anybody know if Zip-Vans were assembled in South Bend?

Do you mean the March, 1984 Turning Wheels showing John Ernst's Transtar camper on the cover?

As far as I have read, Zip Vans were assembled until April 30, 1964.

Craig

Bill Pressler
12-14-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't know if Zip-Van assembly happened in South Bend, or if they were assembled at Lansdale, PA and shipped from there complete to South Bend for distribution.

No, the Dec. '83 TW has a photo of a blue one-ton Transtar on the cover that was taken by an employee of Studebaker who was there that day. The Tribune had solicited photos from that day and that photo showed up, and it was used on the Dec. '83 TW cover. It was supposedly the dead-last Transtar built, and there's nothing behind it on the line.

8E45E
12-14-2013, 03:31 PM
No, the Dec. '83 TW has a photo of a blue one-ton Transtar on the cover that was taken by an employee of Studebaker who was there that day. The Tribune had solicited photos from that day and that photo showed up, and it was used on the Dec. '83 TW cover. It was supposedly the dead-last Transtar built, and there's nothing behind it on the line.

Oh..THAT one with the grainy photo on the cover of it being assembled. Also check out the March, 1984 TW

Zip Vans were assembled in South Bend. Only the body came from Met-Pro in PA.

Here is the serial number of the last Studebaker truck: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?50454-64-Transtar-Wrecker&highlight=toter
Craig

studegary
12-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't know if Zip-Van assembly happened in South Bend, or if they were assembled at Lansdale, PA and shipped from there complete to South Bend for distribution.

My understanding is that the basic Zip Van body was built in Pennsylvania. The finish up, including chassis/running gear, dashboard, etc. was done in Indiana.

I believe that the last non-government truck was an 8E28, V8, Mobile Home Transporter.

EDIT: Craig was a little faster on the input. At least we agree.

4thtolast
12-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Gary, you may be correct on 11/1/63 being order date, but it's the only date on the "production record copy". How do I find the "build" date? BTW, it is 5640, I have talked to previous owners back to early 70's and all numbers match.

R3 challenger
12-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Gary, you may be correct on 11/1/63 being order date, but it's the only date on the "production record copy". How do I find the "build" date? BTW, it is 5640, I have talked to previous owners back to early 70's and all numbers match.

Here's how to find the (written in) Final Assembly Date: Contact the Studebaker National Museum and insist on getting a production order copy for R-5640 that says "CAR ORDER AND BILLING COPY" in the lower right hand corner. Sometimes other copies of the same production order don't have the Final Assembly Date. Each car had at least seven copies of the PO. The museum has at least two sets of POs for many South Bend Studebakers from the '60s. Not all of them have that date.

For many Avantis, that date was typed in, but toward the end of production it was handwritten. Also, tell them exactly what you are looking for. 5640 had two separate POs created...the second one cancelled the supercharger the car was originally ordered with, so it was built without a supercharger. Only the first (original) PO had the date you are looking for...the other one didn't. Be sure they don't grab the wrong one.

Good luck!

George

4thtolast
12-14-2013, 09:31 PM
You're right, the copy I have received is the one with supercharger canceled. Any idea why that would have been done? I'll try to get other copy. Thanks for the info.

R3 challenger
12-15-2013, 10:52 AM
You're right, the copy I have received is the one with supercharger canceled. Any idea why that would have been done? I'll try to get other copy. Thanks for the info.

Car orders were often changed for various reasons. Sometimes a customer would change his mind and want to order or delete an item...Studebaker would slip in such a change if the timing allowed. In my PO research, I've found many Studebakers with a second PO, but the type style was usually different on the second one. In your case, the handwritten Final Assembly Date on the PO was 12-26, but it was not on the second PO, only the first.

George