rear axle info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: rear axle info

Does anybody know if I can interchange axle flanges from a 55 champ to a 47 champ.Just removed the rear axle from my 55 to make way for a dana 60 and would like to convert my dads 47 from a 4 bolt to 5 bolt axle flanges both appear to be dana 27 axles. Also any suggestions of a good place to advertise parts I have many parts I would like to move on to somebody who needs them includeing a dana 44 with tt and 3.55 ratio complete with sway bar and mounts.

None of those cars have axle flanges.

If you are talking about axle SHAFTS, then NO. They are not interchangeable.

The basic postwar car groups for axle shafts are:
    a) 47-50 Champion
    b) 47-50 Commander
    c) 51-52 all models
    d) 53-66 all models until flanged axle shafts came out

47-52 cars have a narrower track, hence shorter axle shafts than 53 and newer cars.

Additionally, 47-50 Champion axles have a narrower taper than 51 and newer, so the drums and hubs from your 55 will not fit onto the 47 axles.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-10-2013, 04:17 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thank you radioroy I thought because they had nuts on flange that I could swap the end the wheel bolts on to now I wont feel so bad useing the 237 to mock up shortening of my 60......anybody have a good place to advertise stude parts?

Comment

Working...
      X