PDA

View Full Version : 64 GT parts car found

Colgate Studebaker
12-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Hi folks, last week I purchased a 64 GT Hawk parts car, and could use some help deciphering it's origins. It is an R2 car, though the engine # is not visible, and the R2 goodies are long gone. It has an R oil pan and the crank snout appears to be the long one, though the balancer and water manifold are standard Stude V8. There is a 160 MPH speedo, and rear stabilizer and traction bars. The rear end is a 44 TT, haven't checked the ratio yet. The ID #'s I have are serial # 64V17412 and no body tag. The heads are 570 castings and the block casting # is 1554641. Little to go on without tearing it down, but if any of you have factory info, I'd appreciate knowing what this car was originally. Thanks, Bill Van Alstyne.

studefan
12-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Engine # M312, 4 speed, non package car, black outside, light blue inside.

swvalcon
12-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Bill Do plan to part this car out for yourself or is it to sell parts? I maybe interested in the motor and Lt door post with the tag. Also do you have a title?

SScopelli
12-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi Bill, The 1554641 is a common casting number..

The engine number is listed on the front left pad..

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/R2Whistler/2013-05-19154829_zps9da4a604.jpg

8E45E
12-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Being a factory R2, it might be worth saving.......

Craig

studefan
12-10-2013, 07:20 PM
I think that's a 63' engine number and not correct for this car.

Colgate Studebaker
12-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info, so far. Steve, there isn't much to save on this car. ALL the body panels(front fenders, doors, quarters, hood and deck lid) are gone(badly rusted away), although the door posts might be savable. There is no title with the car. I realize the block casting # is generic, but the engine # appears to have been machined off or something on that order. I will be using whatever parts I can get off of the car, and will try to help out whoever else I can, but there really isn't much to save. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll try to oblige. I'd really like to know how the factory built this car, if the info is out there. Thanks again, Bill.

StudeRich
12-10-2013, 08:41 PM
The 570 Heads are R1 Heads.

Per Jeff's (studefan) good info, it's Original Engine was: (JTS) M312 a Dec. 12, 1963, '64 Engine, VERY close to the END!

Colgate Studebaker
12-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks Jeff and Rich for the engine #. I knew the heads were R1's, but I was sure the car was originally an R2. The 4 speed is still in the car, so most of the original stuff is still there. Too bad it sat outside in a field for several years, the rust is just amazing.Bill

SN-60
12-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks Jeff and Rich for the engine #. I knew the heads were R1's, but I was sure the car was originally an R2. The 4 speed is still in the car, so most of the original stuff is still there. Too bad it sat outside in a field for several years, the rust is just amazing.Bill

Studebaker may have invented rust.........but Ford perfected it!!!

JEWELL
12-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Bill, be sure to post this car on the GT Hawk registry, parts car or not we will know about it.

Mark

studegary
12-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info, so far. Steve, there isn't much to save on this car. ALL the body panels(front fenders, doors, quarters, hood and deck lid) are gone(badly rusted away), although the door posts might be savable. There is no title with the car. I realize the block casting # is generic, but the engine # appears to have been machined off or something on that order. I will be using whatever parts I can get off of the car, and will try to help out whoever else I can, but there really isn't much to save. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll try to oblige. I'd really like to know how the factory built this car, if the info is out there. Thanks again, Bill.

It may be a replacement block or engine that did not have the Engine Number stamped on the pad.

Colgate Studebaker
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks Gary, it never crossed my mind that it could be a replacement block. Now I'm wanting to pull it apart to find out what really is in there. Mark, I'll get this GT registered, along with the other 2 in my garage waiting re-birth somewhere in the future. Bill

StudeRich
12-11-2013, 07:40 PM
It does it have the crankcase breather Pipe on the Oil Pan, so that is a good clue that some kind of "R" Engine Parts may be lurking inside that replacement block!

Also shine a light in a spark plug hole or "feel it" with a Pencil and find out if it has flat top Pistons.

PackardV8
12-11-2013, 08:02 PM
It does it have the crankcase breather Pipe on the Oil Pan, so that is a good clue that some kind of "R" Engine Parts may be lurking inside that replacement block!

Also shine a light in a spark plug hole or "feel it" with a Pencil and find out if it has flat top Pistons.

And you could still end up like the local R2 buyer who confirmed original RS block serial number, original pan breather, flat top pistons. When it arrived from the upper Midwest, inside was a 259" crank and pistons. The seller's cop-out, "Well, you never asked if there was an R2 crank and pistons in there. What you seen is what you got."

jack vines

SN-60
12-11-2013, 08:10 PM
And you could still end up like the local R2 buyer who confirmed original RS block serial number, original pan breather, flat top pistons. When it arrived from the upper Midwest, inside was a 259" crank and pistons. The seller's cop-out, "Well, you never asked if there was an R2 crank and pistons in there. What you seen is what you got."

jack vines

As long as he didn't pay 'Too Much', the 'RS' Supercharged Avanti block along with the mentioned parts was still worth $$$$$$!

WayneXG95
12-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Wow, I'd love to have seen this GT new, black outside, light blue inside, she would have been spectacular :woot:

StudeRich
12-11-2013, 08:54 PM
jack vines

So true, I would hope that would be the less often case, not the most common! :(

At least Bill has it now, so he can dig deeper.