Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

By the shift linkage on the steering column?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: By the shift linkage on the steering column?

I looked thru all my catalogs and can't locate this thing. It attaches to the column and has two wire terminal. Is it my OD lockout? thanksClick image for larger version

Name:	auction and gravel gaurds 009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1741975

backup light switch?
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

thank you---don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll put the shifter in reverse and use the OHM meter...again, thanks

Comment

The OD Kickdown switch is on the right, above the throttle rod, has four terminals only two occupied. Those other two are needed for Kick Down. Check 'em out on a wiring diagram....

Comment

I checked things out on the wiring diagram in the book. The shop manual for my car does not show a wire for the back up light. And my car has a back up light. Was this an option back then? If it was, then I can see how my light works off the two wire mechanism.

Comment

by the look of the switch, I'd say option. Maybe even aftermarket? I'd say some tracing of the car's wiring might be in order to see if anything was hooked to it at one time.
            sigpic

Comment

The one dead center in the photo is the backup lamp switch. Factory? I don't know. There are 4 wires on the kickdown switch. The two black ones are hard to see.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

There were a lot of J.C. Whitney-type aftermarket backup light kits out there. My car has one installed but the wires are shredded so I removed the switch. Definitely not factory. I might re-purpose the lights as LED brake/turn signals if I get ambitious. I don't need backup lights. "What is behind me is of no concern"
                You can sort of see the switch clamped to the column with a band clamp. Click HERE for a bigger version:

And here are the lights in the back of the car:

Comment

My thoughts are that if it is a functional switch...make sure it is wired with appropriate wire size and protected with a fuse rated for the job, and use it. I have two Studebakers that were not equipped with the "option" of back-up lights. I rarely drive them after dark. Having the lights would be a plus. One of mine originally only came with a single tail light and had no turn signals...certainly not a back-up light. I have since added a second tail light and turn signals. Just have not gotten around to the back-up light... yet.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

great advice on the fused wire going to the switch. Also make it an "accessory" wire, so it won't stay on and kill the battery if you park it in reverse!
                    sigpic

Comment

Backup lights not only help you to see while backing, they alert other motorists to the fact that you are backing. Very useful when you are trying to back out of parking place between two minivans, and are essentially blind to cross-traffic in the aisle of the parking lot.

On my old '85 Suburban, I had a pair of small halogen fog lamps mounted behind cutouts in the rear bumper, connected to the backup lamp circuit. Very useful when I hit a dead end on some bush trail, with no room to turn around.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I think it's a Studebaker part. The wiring for it won't be in the main diagram, but should be shown in accessory diagrams. Or you could order a copy of the installation instructions here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rtemplates.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	522966.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	1686812

522966: Switch, back up lamp 6G THRU 12G 14A THRU 3H
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

You may also want to note that your circuit may be a bit more complicated than you expect, because Studebaker Back-up Lights before somewhere around '59-'61 were wired THROUGH the Ign. Sw. AND the Headlight/Parking Lt. Switch, so you need BOTH ON, and in reverse, to operate the Lights.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            You may also want to note that your circuit may be a bit more complicated than you expect, because Studebaker Back-up Lights before somewhere around '59-'61 were wired THROUGH the Ign. Sw. AND the Headlight/Parking Lt. Switch, so you need BOTH ON, and in reverse, to operate the Lights.
                            Correct... I know this for a fact cause I just added them on my 59 Silver Hawk. You need the switch on the transmission in reverse and the headlights/parking lights need to be on. Ans as stated earlier the diagram is on the page with the accessories.

Comment

I can't thank you guys enough....well I could, but then I'd be broke. I've heard mention many times about parking in reverse for safety sakes, which if the switch was wired direct would leave the light on all the time. There is no problem for me fusing the light and the little back up switch does work. And you are right, the circuitry is a whole lot more complicated than I intended. But, it appears to be easier with a plan in place to isolate the parts as individual pieces( write em down and check em off) and use the OHM meter to wire each part according to the wiring diagram. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X