A few more pics of the '54 Starliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more pics of the '54 Starliner

Someone asked to see more pictures, so here are a few. The car is in a jammed garage, so better pictures will have to wait. It also needs a good washing and cleaning, but that won't happen for a while.

I first saw a Starliner - a red one - before I was old enough to drive. At that time, I thought it was the prettiest car that I had ever seen. Time has not changed my opinion on that.

The block numbers identify it as a 1955 259 cu in. I wonder about the other engine parts - heads, valve covers, carburetor, etc. - whether they also are from 1955 or from 1954.
    Last edited by northern; 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM.

Should be the same from 54 and 55. Only difference I know of is colour and displacement. 54 had the 232 and early series 55 were 224 ci. Second series 55s were 259. Nice car.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by northern View Post
      Someone asked to see more pictures, so here are a few. The car is in a jammed garage, so better pictures will have to wait. It also needs a good washing and cleaning, but that won't happen for a while.

I first saw a Starliner - a red one - before I was old enough to drive. At that time, I thought it was the prettiest car that I had ever seen. Time has not changed my opinion on that.

The block numbers identify it as a 1955 259 cu in. I wonder about the other engine parts - heads, valve covers, carburetor, etc. - whether they also are from 1955 or from 1954.
      Beautiful Car. I have an Avanti and a 47 Champion with 8 Cockshutt tractors. If I lived a parallel life the 53 or 54 would be the one I would add. Best looking car ever made I think.
      BTW where in Sask do you live? My inlaws are in Saskatoon.

Neil

Comment

Your 55 engine appears to be coloured and decked out correctly for a 54 (except for the alternator, of course).

Comment

It probably had a complete engine change. Try to read the cylinder head casting numbers found just above the center exhaust ports. 1955 heads should be 537555.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Looks pretty clean to me! Beautiful car!!

Comment

This one appears better and more original than most survivors, it has very minimal mods on the outside.

They have used aftermarket mirrors, Hawk Wheel Well Mouldings, and reversed the Grille Nameplates for some reason, "Commander Studebaker" seems quite backwards, unless you happen to be a Navy Commander named Studebaker!

The Engine is a bit of a Hybrid, a '55 Gold Oil Cap, '54 Black Valve Covers and a Green that is right in between the '54 Olive and the '56/'57 Turquoise, it's a med. Green, lighter than Olive, a smaller than Group 24, 12 Volt Battery has been used to fit the 6 Volt Battery Box.

The Heads and Exhaust Manifolds are not the same as a '54 also the Timing Cover and Fuel Pump, so it is very obvious that it is not a '54 Engine.

I have seen later Blocks completely "decked out" to appear as a '51-'54 Engine but this is not one of them.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                Should be the same from 54 and 55. Only difference I know of is colour and displacement. 54 had the 232 and early series 55 were 224 ci. Second series 55s were 259. Nice car.
                How about obvious differences between 1954 and 1955, like the location of the fuel pump?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The casting number on the heads is 535976. 1956 - 1960 289 heads??

Comment

Neil, You asked where I live. A little north of your in laws, in the lake country.

Comment

Originally posted by northern View Post
                      The casting number on the heads is 535976. 1956 - 1960 289 heads??
                      Low compression (7.0 or 7.5) Truck and Export Heads also used on some Cars, it doesn't matter about 259 or 289, all the same for any given year.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have one word about this car: Wow!
                        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Couldn't see the fuel pump, Gary. Just assumed it's at the end of that fuel line going to the carb (lol).

Comment

It may have had some surgery under the hood over the years, but at least it is still a Studebaker at heart. I'd park this one in my garage any day. A beautiful car.

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                              Couldn't see the fuel pump, Gary. Just assumed it's at the end of that fuel line going to the carb (lol).
                              That's the point. If it was a 1954 engine, the fuel pump would be up on the front standpipe opposite the oil filter, where you could see it and not buried down low like on a 1955 engine.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X