Oil Pump Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Pump Cover

So there's no confusion the part in question is for an oil pump use on a 1963 259 V8.

What side of the cover faces the gears? The side with the curved edges or the side with the square edges? I ask this because the pumps I have both use the curved side towards the gears. If you need to know what I mean one side looks like it was the side facing the press that made it while the other looks like the under side. Sort of like a flat washer. One side is curved while the other side has sharper edges. On the two pumps I have both use the curved side towards the gears. I have a few thoughts but would like some consensus before I jump to a wrong conclusion, which is easier to do but not as productive.

Believe it or not, but the rounded edge side goes to the Pump Body, contrary to most Micro-flat parts that are machined to the edge like the other side.

If the grooves from the Gears are very deep at all, I would use a rebuild kit to get a New Cover.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What is the outcome of using the other side? I have some thoughts on that. Does this make sense? Using the flat side, as opposed to the curved edge side, could have some part of the sharp edge actually lower, or further away depending on how one looks at it, than the center and therefore moving the center, where the gears are, out of spec. Could one round the edges and lap the flat side to a micro-finished condition? This would get twice the life from the part.

As far as the gears go I have checked both pumps and have one where the gears are still within spec in regards to housing to gear and gear to top of housing specifications. That pump just needs a new cover.

I will look into a rebuild kit though.

Comment

Hey Len -

Doubt it matters much. The whole plate has been hardened some. If you can polish out your scratches, do so. If not, and as long as the other side is clean, I wouldn't hesitate to flip it...IF the bolt pattern/shape is a mirror...not sure that it is.

Mike

Comment

I guess I should have confirmed the alignment first. It will only go on one way or I should say side. It can be rotated to fit but not flipped. So it is self explanitary. If I was to get a new cover it can only go on the one side and no mistakes. I will try to clean the best cover up as it has some scratches but not too deep. Anyone done this before? I did do it on the Flathead cover but it does take some time. Anyone have a way that works that could be quicker than by hand on some wet and dry going finer and finer? I know sometimes shortcuts end up costing the most in time a money so I am prepared to take my time.

Comment

Can a machine shop smooth it out for you? Not only must it be smooth, but it must be FLAT as well. Would polishing out the scratches adversely affect the flatness? I'm thinking yes.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Refurb it on a belt sander. Here's a shot of my homemade belt sander. Three phase, 5HP. Never been able to bog this sucker down.I still don't know what that hole in the center of the plate is for. ASFAIK, it's factory. Any guesses?
              Attached Files
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
              X