64 Cruiser Upper Cont. Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Cruiser Upper Cont. Arm

Am I missing something? I am having trouble keeping the bolts tight on the Upper Control Arm. If I read correctly 65# torque is shown. I do the tighting and about 1500 miles later the bolts are loose again!

I have also tried to keep a sharp watch on the lower bolts, tighting to 50-55#.

Any help would be appricated, I am taking the car on a road trip from North Carolina to Pennsylvania about 400 miles, I will be packing my torque wrench.

I've had trouble keeping the lower control arm bolts to the frame (4 each side) tight. I now use grade 8 bolts, lock washers and LocTite.

It's good you are checking them [^]. I do a check of these and anything else I can get to when I lube the car (at least once a year). It can be surprising [:0] what loosens up on these cars.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Second Dick's comments about the Grade 8 hardware. I upgraded to Grade 8 for everything after the first few Grade 5 lockwashers I used putting the Lark's front end back together twisted themselves in half while I was trying to torque the bolts to spec!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

My guess is that if you need to tighten the bolts that often, they have stretched and need replacement, also as Dick said replace the nuts with new nylock nuts.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Also, I seem to remember that there is an issue on some Studebaker models of cracks developing around the bolt holes in the part of the frame where this arm mounts. Also check to make certain that those bolt holes have not ovalled out. I had the bolt holes for the lower control arms oval out on a Wagonaire I once had, and I COULD NOT keep those bolts tight, despite every effort. And I used Grade 8 bolts, too.

If there are cracks, or the holes are ovalled out, please get a pro welder to weld in a reinforcement, for the sake of your own safety.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

How will the Nylock nuts stand up to 60 foot-pounds of torque?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Travel update, well I am here in PA, and the front end has its noise back, it is to late to check tonight but Saturday that will be high on the list. After reading the answer to my questions, I may be in line for a front end rework, just have to get back to NC. Thanks all for the help.

Comment

I had a 64 Cruiser in LA years ago that the lower control arm bolts kept coming loose. I finally replaced them with grade 8 bolts, lock washers and lock nuts. NO more coming loose! I have also replaced the bolts and nuts on all my Studes. Ny-locks will work fine, be sure to use ones of grade 8 strength.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Bolts all tight, will be on my way back to NC later this week, am looking forward to the repairs.

Comment

Working...
                  X