Mutts...let's see 'em!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutts...let's see 'em!

Inspired by the query about the Lark-nosed 56-7 Stude sedan...let's see some oddball "mutt" Studebakers. I haven't really got pix of any such myself except this one, sort of:

1928 Stude sedan bodywork converted to two-seat roadster on modified Stude frame, supercharged Lark flathead six, rear body panel from roof of Barracuda! Wheels are 30s Dodge.

S.

Mutts , What I see here is also known as a Rat rod , Besides dogs Mutts were military vehicles, m-151 military utility tactical truck , To the untrained eye you may know them as a Jeep , They were nice riding but the early ones could flip on a dime , I wish I kept track of how many universal joints I replaced in them , Ed

Comment

Here's one from Dad's photo collection~

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotsman W 55 Front2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1686753

He likely found that pic here on the Forum somewhere...?

StudeDave '57
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Yowzah! Well, I have to say that the Hoover nosed look of the Packard Hawks didn't come from out of nowhere after all. Gotta go scrub my eyeballs out after looking at that. The image of a beluga whale for some reason keeps coming back as an afterimage for some reason....

(Apologies to the PH fans)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
          Here's one from Dad's photo collection~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30261[/ATTACH]
          He likely found that pic here on the Forum somewhere...?

StudeDave '57
          If you look closely, you can see that is probably a '58 Scotsman! It has a very blunt looking '55 Front end.

StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think I saw that wagon a couple of years ago at the hot rod reunion at Beech Bend Raceway in Bowling Green, Kentucky. If it's the same car, I remember it as being Mopar powered and very fast.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Observed at the 2011 Springfield meet:

sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                Inspired by the query about the Lark-nosed 56-7 Stude sedan...let's see some oddball "mutt" Studebakers. I haven't really got pix of any such myself except this one, sort of:

1928 Stude sedan bodywork converted to two-seat roadster on modified Stude frame, supercharged Lark flathead six, rear body panel from roof of Barracuda! Wheels are 30s Dodge.

S.
                The splayed bars on the radiator shell of this Stude rod are reminiscent of the '32 Factory Indy cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                  Observed at the 2011 Springfield meet:

Hey,thats about the prettiest "MUTT" i've seen in a long time...
                  Tony

Comment

Another pic of the '58 W/'55 nose.
                    Attached Files
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I'm pretty sure the -58 with -55 front contains a MoPar 360 & the guy might e called Budymander or such alike.

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                        Mutts , What I see here is also known as a Rat rod , Besides dogs Mutts were military vehicles, m-151 military utility tactical truck , To the untrained eye you may know them as a Jeep , They were nice riding but the early ones could flip on a dime , I wish I kept track of how many universal joints I replaced in them , Ed
                        I have heard the term "rat rod" so much and applied to so many different approaches to so many different kinds of cars that it means nothing anymore. The car in question looks like the traditional hot rods of the 1940's. The term rat rod has become a very negative description of cars that folks simply either don't like or understand. I have seen '53 Chevy four door in red primer, slammed pretty low, a straight six with multiple carbs and wide white walls placed into a rat rod class. I have also seen a fenderlass Model A sedan with a Y-block engine and open headers called a rat rod. The term is confusing. In my opinion the car in question is a cool hot rod, not a rat rod, whatever that means. I really see the term "Mutt" as a bit negative as well, but understand it as a mixed breed kind of thing.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Really hard for me to consider this one a mutt, but it started life as a '54 4 door sedan.

Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                            Yowzah! Well, I have to say that the Hoover nosed look of the Packard Hawks didn't come from out of nowhere after all.(Apologies to the PH fans)
                            Nope, it didn't come from that wagon. It came from the Maserati 3500GT Allemano. A S-P bigwig took his family to Europe for vacation, fell in love with the 3500GT and then came back and instructed staff to build him a one-off that resembled it. They didn't have any money or much to work with so they decided to modify a K body. In the middle of that process the marketing types stuck their nose in and decided that it should go into production and they wouldn't keep their fingers out of the pudding. By the time the P.H. finally rolled off the line it didn't look much like what the designers were originally going for. That's the story in a nutshell as told by one of the designers that worked on the PH. I've never seen pictures of what he says they'd developed before the marketing nut jobs got into it..........although, if you look at the little light blue roadster - one of Bourke's designs (see third image below) - that little roadster does have a strong resemblance to the 3500GT.

1957 3500GT Allemano

1958 3500 GT Allemano

Bourke Sketch

I'd like to see those working sketches; I think it would be cool to find those sketches and build the P.H. that the designers wanted instead of the one they ended up with.
                            Last edited by hausdok; 12-07-2013, 06:19 PM.
                            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird
                            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                              Really hard for me to consider this one a mutt, but it started life as a '54 4 door sedan.
                              That one actually looks nice; especially from the rear.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X