1962 Rambler Classic vs. 1962 Studebaker Lark Y body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Rambler Classic vs. 1962 Studebaker Lark Y body

Many people have mixed up 1960's Ramblers with same era Lark types..............

I now understand since my boss has a 1962 Rambler Classic 4 door; I swear that sedan shares a whole lot of similar styling cues with the same year Lark Y body i.e. wraparound windshield and wraparound back window, etc.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

My '63 Lark has been called a Rambler more than once.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I like the '63 Rambler, but to my eyes, the '62 looks like an Eastern bloc product!

I've always heard Ramblers were good cars, but I like the overall packaging of Studebakers in this period better.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

My '59 Lark has been called a Rambler many times. What it tells me is that it's imperative that we show our cars as often as possible to inform the public. There's a whole generation of people who have never even heard of Studebaker.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

....what is the parts' availability for Ramblers these days ??

Comment

Parts are out there, but NOTHING like what Studes have available. Part of the dearth is due to the fact that Chrysler offered pennies on the dollars worth for old AMC parts that dealers had on their shelves at the time. With STRICT orders that the parts be destroyed when they were redeemed at distribution centers. This is not to say there aren't ANY NOS parts out there - there just aren't any generous stashes.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My wife wants to rip the heart out of the people who call her Lark a Rambler. So far so has not, (As of 1:56pm 12/06/2013 Eastern Time).
              Jack White
              Charlotte,NC
              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                My '59 Lark has been called a Rambler many times. What it tells me is that it's imperative that we show our cars as often as possible to inform the public. There's a whole generation of people who have never even heard of Studebaker.
                Rog
                I'm gonna say there's also a whole generation that hasn't heard of Rambler, either! After all, that name ended in 1969 in the U.S. market.
                Last edited by kurtruk; 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

1947 Studebaker M-5
                  1946 Studebaker M-5
                  1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                  1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                  1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Rambler had that torque tube driveshaft. Also I thought I remembered seeing tapered axles on a friend's 69 sc/rambler.

Comment

I personally never liked the front suspension design. Didn't look substantial enough, especially after seeing one break apart on a slow turn in front of me when I was 15. Yeah Studebaker used king pins up to the end in 66 but they were rugged & had the respect of front end mechanics. My 41 Ford pickup had torque-tube driveshaft & I think Chevy did away with them after 54.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I have owned my '62 Lark 2dr for around 15 years now and have always been a Studebaker nut, and have owned 10 of 'em, 5 presently, however..
                        My first car as a licensed driver at the age of 16 was a 1962 Green and white Rambler Classic. The aluminum 6 had went away at low miles so it had been repowered with a Chevy 283 & PG and rear axle.
                        I added a Weiand Hi-Rise & AFB and a wicked rump rump Duntov cam. Wasn't fast but the big 'Chevy Power' decals on the windows and the sound alone scared off most would be street challenges.

Really the 'Rambler' part was neat with its colorful dash and 'lay down' seats, (oh wow and 16) and it was a very solidly built body shell.
                        The '68 AMX I latter owned was a disappointing falling apart heap of junk in comparison.

Comment

The all new 63 Rambler was years ahead if the 62, and in the opinion of many, far better than the Lark. The 64 Studebakers looked more modern, like the Rambler, but were old under the sheet metal.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Sadly, there seem to be fewer ramblers running out on the street these days than studebakers. Young people don't know what they are either....
                            Mike Sal

Comment

Yup, I never heard of a Rambler until I saw it on here. I don't think I have ever seen one either. And I was born in 1969.
                              sigpic
                              1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X